Author Topic: Over-rated anime?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline DespondenSea

Re: Over-rated anime?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 03:33:59 am »
I think, when it comes to judging this as 'overrated' or 'underrated' it's going to really depend on who you're around.

Sure.

But even with people with different tastes around you, knowing what you tend to like and not like and knowing what they tend to like and not like should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

And then there's the series that play with expectations.

For example: Interviews with Monster Girls. I went into it with pretty low expectations because 'super-natural school harem', but it's turned out to be sweeter, funnier, and more clever than its premise would ever imply.

Offline dbml

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:50:25 am »
And then there's the series that play with expectations.

For example: Interviews with Monster Girls. I went into it with pretty low expectations because 'super-natural school harem', but it's turned out to be sweeter, funnier, and more clever than its premise would ever imply.

No kidding. I almost didn't even give it a chance, didn't sound like my cup of tea. Glad I did. It's likely my anime of the season.

As for overrated? Baccano and Clannad. I went in with fairly high expectations for both of them given how well-received they were by the masses. What I got was an incoherent babble about immortality with flat characters, and a miserable generic harem. Expectations really do destroy things.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:15 am »
Code Geass, by a mile. Shakespeare with mechs, written by a 6th grader. Loathsome MC, retarded supporting cast, absurd plot, incoherent psychology, "tactics" with tic-tac-toe like depth.

Adds to the insult by pretending to be "smart", "philosophical" and having "social commentary". I don't blame it for being goofy garbage, I blame it for pretending to be "intelligent". Had it embraced it's own idiocy, then it would've been en enjoyable romp.

But as some have pointed out, there's another category of series no one hardly ever talks about. Those turning out to be more/better/something else you had expected.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:30:16 am by Fool010 »
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 07:41:54 pm »
Code Geass, by a mile. Shakespeare with mechs, written by a 6th grader. Loathsome MC, retarded supporting cast, absurd plot, incoherent psychology, "tactics" with tic-tac-toe like depth.

Adds to the insult by pretending to be "smart", "philosophical" and having "social commentary". I don't blame it for being goofy garbage, I blame it for pretending to be "intelligent". Had it embraced it's own idiocy, then it would've been en enjoyable romp.

But as some have pointed out, there's another category of series no one hardly ever talks about. Those turning out to be more/better/something else you had expected.

I remember liking the first season when I saw it several years ago, though I thought the second season and ending were a severe drop-off in quality.

I'm curious how I'd feel about it now.

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:31:34 am »
I'm curious what anime people have watched that didn't live up to its reputation, and why they felt it didn't.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:57:05 am »
In what way(s) did you think Eva didn't live up to its reputation?

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:55 am »
In what way(s) did you think Eva didn't live up to its reputation?

The question of the thread was about whether it was over-rated or not.  I think it's overrated because Yoshiyuki Tomino already covered most of Evangelion's psychological ground in his own works 10+ years earlier, most notably 1980's "Space Runaway Ideon" and the original 1978 "Mobile Suit Gundam."

On a semi-related note, Ideon is currently being re-subbed here:

https://secretninjaempire.wordpress.com/category/ideon/

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 04:22:39 am »
Evangelion is overhyped, but in my opinion, it is not overrated.
If something is overrated merely because an older work "already did that", then 99.85% of all media in the world, is overrated.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:07 pm »
Eva is an interesting case.

It was regarded very highly some decade and a bit ago. And I certainly approved of it's rating when I was an edgy teen, today, however I couldn't watch it seriously.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »
Your mother is overrated.

Not really, she's a great lady, but I felt compelled to say something.

What was that show with the Endless Eight episode arc?  That show was god-awful.  Liked the concept, but the execution was beyond the pale horrible.

And that Cyberpunk show Texhnolyze.  I wanted to gouge my eyes out.  For some reason, I forced myself to slog through it just so I could see if there was anything worthwhile there.  Apparently there was, because I rated it 6/10, but I don't remember much about it now.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
I'm curious what anime people have watched that didn't live up to its reputation, and why they felt it didn't.

Pokemon, Digimon and preety much everything that ends in "mon".
Because it's stupid. 
Because it's for stupid.
Because I'm not stupid... anymore.
And because people think anime fans are stupid for watching that stupid.
NOOOOOOOOOOO! JUST SOME ARE, NOT ALL! Frrrikin...faaa...kk....it!!#@#$! >:(

PS: I have no doubt there are more stupid anime than those that end in "mon", I just don't watch them.
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »
If something is overrated merely because an older work "already did that", then 99.85% of all media in the world, is overrated.

Agreed on that, based on that logic everything done in the last 2 or 3 centuries is overrated.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »

What was that show with the Endless Eight episode arc?  That show was god-awful.  Liked the concept, but the execution was beyond the pale horrible.

And that Cyberpunk show Texhnolyze.  I wanted to gouge my eyes out.  For some reason, I forced myself to slog through it just so I could see if there was anything worthwhile there.  Apparently there was, because I rated it 6/10, but I don't remember much about it now.
Endless Eight would be from The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (season 2, to be precise)
Texhnolyze had awesome artwork, but it lacked any sort of plot. At least, anything cohesive.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 12:58:03 pm »
Naruto. Believe it.
One Piece?

Nope aaaaand... nope. They have just some major horrific fillers which you must ignore.
It's because of these fillers I stopped watching about a year ago, but I will take them back on... in a while. :happy:
I think, when it comes to judging this as 'overrated' or 'underrated' it's going to really depend on who you're around.
In my group of friends/websites I frequent things like MSG 0079 is considered 'one of the best anime ever', while Naruto Shitpan/One Piece/Bleach are considered garbage.

It's the whole sphere that you're part of.

:)) That's pretty much true also for everything else. ::)
In this entire thread, no one's mentioned Dragon Ball yet?

Dr. Slump is way better!  :laugh:

*runs away before angry mobs try to kill me.*

*searches with infrared periscope radar attached to the head, and with a vasectomy knife at hand's reach*
If you wanna be a girl, I'll make you one! ;D
You have to remember, when it was released, it was DA SHIET! Most judgements must be assigned to the time frame of it's release. Today we have better standards and we might feel it's overrated. It's not.
People I know treat DBZ like it's the holiest of holy...never mind how long it drags on and on and on for.

I think he ment DB with all its addendum(s) and sequels and whatnot(s).
*meanwhile takes the vasectomy knife and cuts off some ballz, not dragon ones.*
Congratulations, now you're in the right genre for not liking it. :laugh:
As for overrated? Clannad.

YEES! I asked people to suggest me a drama anime. Is that supposed to even be in that category!? Damn....
Outside of my dick showing some interest at times, there was no other part of me to resonate in any way with this anime.

LE: On yeh, back to this topic
Continuing an animated series with a 2016/2017 CGI one!
I mean... damn, that has to be universally agreed as "bad", otherwise nothing is.

If you want to do CGI, contact the people who made "The Jungle Book", that's what I call CGI!
Compared to it, japonese one stands for Crap Gone Insane.

So, new Berserk, Ajin, new Dragon Ball (Super!?) and pretty much everything that has their standards in CGI, or should I say lack of standards.
And I tell you why it's overrated. We liked the original series so much that we can't not watch it just for the story, and we can't say "I watch shit anime, come watch it with me!" We have to, HAVE TO, label it as at least watchable. It's not, it's shit. But we got to see what happens, even if it happens on the worse image since the invention of color TV. Although black in white is arguably better than that CGI there, the face complexion details portrayed by the facial muscles still existed even in those times, even without any CGI whatsoever.

It's so bad, real arguments can be made weather they should have continued the series at all, under these circumstances. One thing I know for sure: my foot is so hungry for kicking some balls of those who didn't have patience to continue it the right way/the old way, that it's trippin'. I mean, if they would do the same to Bleach(or Claymore), I will honestly transform into a terrorist and go kamikadze on their ass! That would be too much!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:37:07 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »
Some rambling devoid of sense

If you have to talk to yourself, could you at least keep it to yourself ?

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
You have to search the words "on topic" which I'm on and "reply" in the dex, obviously you don't know their meaning.
And while you're at it, also search the word "forum", there is where you're at.

Did I really say "devoid of sense"? :) If I did, and you know it cuz I don't remember that particular part, why do you read a monologue? Or... I'm not talking to myself in that particular instance?

PS: I'll save you some trouble. A forum is not the same thing as a chat. The time frame between posts on a forum is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:46:41 pm by Johnny D »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 02:21:05 pm »
People don't usually quote themself and reply to it as if it was somebody else though.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »

That was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

That's the only series I've gone into with expectations that ended up on my 'all time worst' list.

Texhnolyze was sometimes too abstract for its own good, and had REALLY slow pacing, but the atmosphere and music were high quality, and the shot composition was striking and creative. I saw it a year or two ago and still remember some shots from it.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 04:33:37 pm »
People don't usually quote themself and reply to it as if it was somebody else though.

You should have noticed by now that whenever he intervenes, he's both performer and audience.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 05:36:22 am »

You should have noticed by now that whenever he intervenes, he's both performer and audience.

As if his personal text hadn't given it away.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!