Author Topic: Over-rated anime?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
Re: Over-rated anime?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
People don't usually quote themself and reply to it as if it was somebody else though.

It was an idea brought from another topic(I stated it before the quote), I didn't want to write it again, it was on topic, so I brought it here and continued it. Its logic is as clear as day. Not a reply prose, otherwise I would have argued with myself somewhat. :happy: I did it just to use it as a basis to continue my train of thought here, were to my best knowledge, it bares best relevance out of all this forums topics.   
It's unorthodox but I have a taste for informality and people who appreciate it. It holds no importance, the important things are 3:
1. If you understood it,
2. If you agree or not with it,
3. Why.
There is no forth, the fashion of how I replied bares relevance little to zilch, as long as it's decent and doesn't offend anyone.

If you don't like me saying I hate the "creators/innovators/developers" that did that awful excuse for CGI and consequently ruined my anime experience alongside the facial expression of the characters that look like they have slight seizures every time they try to cry or be scared, just say it. Or if you don't like that I read a certain topic only once every 2 months and reply to all that interests me and not committing here every day to have "discussions", again, just say it. What you don't say is that what I did was a monologue, it's a poor, irritating deflection. Everyone can have an opinion, stating that someone does a monologue when he/she does 6-7 replies in a post or 2, only one of them being to himself/herself as a transference of ideas between connected topics is not an opinion, at least not one on topic, and not one that does the stater any good service.

You should have noticed by now that whenever he intervenes, he's both performer and audience.
As if his personal text hadn't given it away.
And what's your problem with that? You guys are poor performers?
Try more, then you'll also enjoy replying to other people in the rewarding act of trading thoughts, not just do it like drones.

Or maybe you don't like I disrespected Clannad! :laugh: Again, say it, don't say shit that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever.
Shows a mellow backbone and it's not something you'd want to have for the rest of your life.

The guy earlier (which I quoted) that said *runs away before angry mobs try to kill me.* did not do a performance?
Or his act was not strong enough to fall to your (irrelevant) criticism?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:04:48 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:32 pm »
Being a self deluded chatterbox is by no means a sign of individuality or strength of character.

And please, it's painfully obvious you're too busy listening to the sound of your own voice to engage in any exchange of ideas. Stop lying.

Your way of thinking is neither original, nor proof you have personality. You're just a guy who needs a lot of words to say nothing.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:03 am »
Few here can be accused of being too original, and few in the world in general for that matter. There are few really new ideas in the world, just recirculated, reformed, remolded old ones but I don't expect you to have ever thought about that in your life. I don't see the problem if many words or fewer words are used, regardless of the degree of originality they procure. The only problem I see here is with people having problems with it, especially them being off topic. That is what lack of character is all about, on the net. I don't have a problem nor do I seek any problem with anyone, those who seek problems where there are none, again, are the ones with the shaky character.
Original? Nope.
Irrelevant if something is not original on a forum? Yes.

If you had the least trace of good character, you wouldn't debate users or user expression on sections that have nothing to do with these subjects. You can say whatever goes through your mind about my way of expressing myself, but I can say I am on topic as supposed to, and you are not. I went off topic only to defend myself as anyone shouldn't supposed to on a topic/section that is not in any way designed to discuss user behavior or expression.

To explain it more plainly, I did not judge you, you judged me. Judgement is in general beneficial(although many would disagree), but you should find another place for it, not the "Over-rated anime topic", that truly tells a lot about yourself and all those that agree or even do what you do. That's all I'm saying.

And please, it's painfully obvious you're too busy listening to the sound of your own voice to engage in any exchange of ideas. Stop lying.

As you couldn't be bothered to answer my other questions, I have little faith you'd answer my next one too, but one can hope. If it's so obvious to you that I don't want to engage in any exchange of ideas, then why do you talk to me? You must just love the sound of my voice too. Stop lying. And much more than me because I have hopes for ideas exchange while talking, whilst you have none still needing to hear me in this conversation with you baring no ideeas, and needing to reply to me stuff about myself, again, with no chance of finding any new ideas. What do you get from this? Character build up? You need some, keep at it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:42:42 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:49 am »
I'm curious what anime people have watched that didn't live up to its reputation, and why they felt it didn't.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I try to stay away from things like other people's opinions, so it's pretty rare for me to think something is over/underrated since I don't really have a sense for how other people regard an anime
That being said, NGE is #1 most overrated, why? because it is not entertaining, at all, and to me, anime is for entertainment.  Ntm every time someone praises NGE it's always about the concepts presented in the anime, not the presentation of the anime itself, or you know, how they enjoyed a thing that happened in the show, how does an anime that has no worthwhile in the moment scenes end up so well known and well thought of? (not actually asking, please no one answer)

and +1 to code geass, Fool010 already went over the reasons why pretty accurately, so I won't bother

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 01:48:17 am »
I agree completely on both Texhnolyze and NGE.  I couldn't finish the first episode of Texhnolyze (miserable, whiny emo twats make me want to thin the gene pool) and NGE is a legit contender for the "Worst Ending of All Time In Any Medium" award.  The "End of Evangelion", intended to redeem the series' miserably executed denouement,  ended up ripping off RahXephon — while very similar, a much better-written series, imo — for the sake of  fuck... :-X

I can't agree about Dragonball because the 1st series, at least, is damn good; it's very funny and quite well animated.  As for DBZ, well, we like to laugh at it, but DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece are still some of the biggest gateways to anime for the Western world, don't forget!

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 06:26:00 am »
I remember 14 years ago DBZ was sold to RTL 2 a german TV company for 100 millions "deutsche mark", the equivalent of something like 100 millions dollars or 60 millions euros at the time. And I remember being extra hyped watching it 2 eps in a row on an hour straight between 8 and 9 p.m. The only problem was they inserted 4 commercial breaks, so 2 each episode. :no: It was like God just lost his mind allowing that horrid thing to happen! And you still watched it! That's how great it was.
So I always say, remember those times!? Most don't or weren't even having the proper age to reason at that time.

PS: Yes, I learned german (deutsche), learned it from TV. Mostly from anime dubbed in german, some had excellent dubbing like "Captain Tsubasa", I consider it one of the best nonjaponese dubbing of all time. They even added a german commentator to the matches, which to my knowledge the japonese version did not have, and makes it innovative and truly awesome. One of my favorite anime of all time, much above DB/DBZ.
That being said, NGE is #1 most overrated, why? because it is not entertaining, at all, and to me, anime is for entertainment.

That's true not just for you but in general. The only difference between people is in what does one consider as entertainment. Me for example, what was entertainment when I was 15, today when I doubled in age, most of it I find boring and shallow. People change with time. (Not talking about anime prose, mostly about kung fu movies and similar. :happy:)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:30:52 am by Johnny D »

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:53 am »
Guilty Crown

Seriously, what people see in this, yeah the music is good and the first lady is sexy, but this is how you define anime ? with a professionally sang songs and a completely shallow heroine without any personality and the story that defies itself ?

Grats.

Offline OverDarkSky

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 07:48:22 pm »
From the big, popular series, I'll say Code Geass. Fool010 wrote about the biggest flaws so I'wont do that again.

K was quite boring anime about nothing. The story was the worst part of it, I just can't say anything good about it. The characters are not the best one either. Maybe average, at most. They don't have a personality and only some of the are not that bad. Well, the animation and the art style are great. Music is ok, maybe not my style, but I'll say it was quite good. But you just can't create good series by making the animation nearly perfect, it needs good story and characters too.

The last one I want to say abut is Seto no Hanayome. I think its the worst thing that I saw till now. I was in mood for a comedy and someone recommended it to me, so I thought- why not? The first episodes were not that bad, but with time it was only getting worse. The same things are happening over and over again. A lot of things that was meant to be funny simply werent - just annoying. And the story wasn't great either, so do characters. 

Offline blackhole

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 07:50:00 pm »
I dropped K after 10 mins into ep 1.

And I took 2 breaks during watching it.

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »
Guilty Crown

Seriously, what people see in this, yeah the music is good and the first lady is sexy, but this is how you define anime ? with a professionally sang songs and a completely shallow heroine without any personality and the story that defies itself ?

Grats.
Oh, yes, Guilty Crown and Deadman Wonderland are both guilty of this.  They both fall under my hatred of "miserable, whiny emo twats" in their choice of "hero", for one thing.  Tokyo Ghoul often travels these foetid waters, as well.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2017, 09:27:07 pm »
Deadman Wonderland was only better because the characters weren't shallow as tap water, while Guilty Crown was frozen tap water surface of shalowry.
So that puts Dead Wonderland a notch above Guilty Crown.

Those 2 titles should be a lesson for Japs, not every cool manga or novel, should be adapted into anime. A Game maybe, but not anime, Guilty Crowns should have been a bullet hell game.

Offline LeijonaSisu

• Fillers suck
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2017, 09:52:51 pm »
One Piece? I mean everyone says that it's the duck's nuts but the anime is so damn slow and over-exaggerated. I mean it's 4x longer than it needs to be. Some episodes are like only 3-4 pages of the manga LOL. It's all just slow ass close ups of faces and exaggerated expressions. I loved the Manga but wtf the anime is just so disappointing. How do people have the patience to watch 700+ episodes of this?

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 06:58:20 am »
Because the action, characters and story line are so good! But you're absolutely right, it's slow.
The over-exaggerations are parts of it's art...... I think! :whistle:

Offline kaworuchan

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:57 pm »
I would have to say Elfen Lied.  For a series that is notorious for its brutal violent content, it does wallow quite a bit in cutesy anime cliches.  The tonal inconsistency killed that series for me.  The thing that makes it worse is that when it does want to be taken seriously, it effectively ripped my heart out.  Then a couple of scenes later it is back to cutesy ville, as if all of the sadism was a perverse joke on the audience.

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 10:57:09 pm »
I would have to say Elfen Lied.  For a series that is notorious for its brutal violent content, it does wallow quite a bit in cutesy anime cliches.  The tonal inconsistency killed that series for me.  The thing that makes it worse is that when it does want to be taken seriously, it effectively ripped my heart out.  Then a couple of scenes later it is back to cutesy ville, as if all of the sadism was a perverse joke on the audience.
Um...  Yeah.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that was intentional, you know.  I think you missed many of the points the series was trying to get across.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:11 pm »
Yeah a lot of anime tries to make fun of stuff, or point out cliches and tehn turn them into charcoal.
You should watch Magica Madoka or Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
Or Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:04:20 pm by blackhole »

Offline kaworuchan

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 11:07:05 pm »
Um...  Yeah.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that was intentional, you know.  I think you missedd many of the points the series was trying to get across.

I just might have missed the point.  Then again, I do tend to take most things way too literally, that is just how I roll.

I was also drunk when I watched it.  My judgment might have been clouded by Maker's Mark.  I probably should give it a second chance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:15:51 pm by kaworuchan »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
Most anime should be watched when drunk actually, unless you react differently to those states and are overly stressed and serious, they you should try weed :P

Golden rule for watching anime: Don't have expectations, it can only get better.

Offline kaworuchan

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 11:32:35 pm »
Most anime should be watched when drunk actually, unless you react differently to those states and are overly stressed and serious, they you should try weed :P

Golden rule for watching anime: Don't have expectations, it can only get better.

I think I am going to revisit it.  I watched it during a very dark point in my life, many years ago.  Perhaps I was looking to have my heart ripped out on a pervasive basis over the course of twelve episodes.  Who knows?

With that said, I will get back on topic.  And I may catch hell for adding Howl's Moving Castle to this list.  It was the first and only Ghibli film I have seen to date that did not resonate with me on a personal level.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 11:53:09 pm »
That reminded me of Grave of The Fireflies.
What a bummer that turned out to be. People said it was the saddest film they'd seen. I saw no such moments.

Yeah, war is tragic. People die. Boo-hoo get over yourself main character. You're not the only one living a harsh life.
Shinji Ikari level 'poor me' crap doesn't resonate sadness. It resonates regurgitated faeces.