Author Topic: Over-rated anime?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline kaworuchan

Re: Over-rated anime?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:06 am »
That reminded me of Grave of The Fireflies.
What a bummer that turned out to be. People said it was the saddest film they'd seen. I saw no such moments.

Yeah, war is tragic. People die. Boo-hoo get over yourself main character. You're not the only one living a harsh life.
Shinji Ikari level 'poor me' crap doesn't resonate sadness. It resonates regurgitated faeces.

The age of the characters in Grave of the Fireflies made the boy's poor decisions seem more tragic to me.  I did think that I knew it all when I was that young.  For that reason, I can even forgive Shinji Ikari for his attitude.

But if any character graduates from high school and still behaves like that, fuck 'em.

Online DespondenSea

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2017, 02:29:02 am »
^I'd have to agree.

I've seen all the Ghibli films at this point, and I found Grave of the Fireflies to be one of the weakest.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2017, 06:04:48 am »
I would have to say Elfen Lied.  For a series that is notorious for its brutal violent content, it does wallow quite a bit in cutesy anime cliches.  The tonal inconsistency killed that series for me.  The thing that makes it worse is that when it does want to be taken seriously, it effectively ripped my heart out.  Then a couple of scenes later it is back to cutesy ville, as if all of the sadism was a perverse joke on the audience.
Um...  Yeah.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that was intentional, you know.  I think you missedd many of the points the series was trying to get across.

I just might have missed the point.  Then again, I do tend to take most things way too literally, that is just how I roll.

I was also drunk when I watched it.  My judgment might have been clouded by Maker's Mark.  I probably should give it a second chance.

I remember sitting in my anime club watching the screener for Elfen Lied (Edited) and we were a biiiiit.....hammered.  Oh man, we MST3Ked the CRAP outta that!  "Don't edit me for content!!!"  "Edited for content!"

Back to the topic at hand I would have to say that judging something as over rated changes from viewing to viewing.  The first time I saw Akira (OG Edition) I HATED it with every life fiber of my being.  It grew on me and I've come to count it as one of the anime that I liked but not quite love. Now if I had to pick an anime that I still don't like and that is overrated to me, then it would have to be Gantz. 

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:13 am »
I think we should add School Days into the fold here, if someone watches that without any insight what this is about, as we usually hype it up for people and watch them when they watch it.

If you didn't see School Days, you are not an Anime Fan yet :)

Offline LeijonaSisu

• Fillers suck
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2017, 11:26:43 am »
I don't get what's all the fuss with One Piece....

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2017, 05:21:05 pm »
That reminded me of Grave of The Fireflies.
What a bummer that turned out to be. People said it was the saddest film they'd seen. I saw no such moments.

Yeah, war is tragic. People die. Boo-hoo get over yourself main character. You're not the only one living a harsh life.
Shinji Ikari level 'poor me' crap doesn't resonate sadness. It resonates regurgitated faeces.

Moreover, Japan started World War 2 in Asia, murdered and raped millions of people across China and Korea, and even experimented on many Chinese people via Unit 731 with chemical and biological weapons.

Yet they have the incredible nerve to portray themselves as the victims of a conflict THEY started!  :o

I sure don't feel sorry for the Japanese when it comes to World War 2.  Their government actively goes out of its way to sweep their own militarist atrocities under the rug because they don't want to face up to their past.   Saving face at its "finest."

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2017, 05:56:10 pm »
Excuse me..?  ANY war sacrifices innocents/civilians.  I'm pretty sure young children don't start many wars.

While I'm not overly fond of "Grave of the Firefllies", it's not about blaming the US; it's simply about the horrific consequences of war.  Nor were the motives of the US in dropping either nuke on Japan "pure as the driven snow".

Yes, the Japanese government (especially Abe; he's quite a tool) DOES go out of its way to try to weasel out of the responsibility for their own acts, but that's not even close to what "Grave of the Fireflies" is about.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »
I think we should add School Days into the fold here, if someone watches that without any insight what this is about, as we usually hype it up for people and watch them when they watch it.

If you didn't see School Days, you are not an Anime Fan yet :)

I followed the advice of Arkada from Glass Reflection...."Don't watch it."  My friend didn't, he came back with a haunted and confused look on his face.  I didn't say, "I told you so" because I'm not a complete jerk.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:01 pm »
Excuse me..?  ANY war sacrifices innocents/civilians.  I'm pretty sure young children don't start many wars.

While I'm not overly fond of "Grave of the Firefllies", it's not about blaming the US; it's simply about the horrific consequences of war.  Nor were the motives of the US in dropping either nuke on Japan "pure as the driven snow".

Yes, the Japanese government (especially Abe; he's quite a tool) DOES go out of its way to try to weasel out of the responsibility for their own acts, but that's not even close to what "Grave of the Fireflies" is about.
That.
Japanese actually participated in WW2 on their own volition, Hitler didn't ask them to do shit. But that wasn't the only time they started a conflict, they were at war a few times with other nations, not mentioning their own civil war that ate a few hundred thousands of lives as well.
When it comes to wars, I think no nation stands innocent. Some simply take the lesson to heart and avoid them like a plague afterwards and try to communicate or improve your citizens lives for a change instead of throwing them at enemies because you can't establish a proper economy to make things work. Shitty governing is the root of wars.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2017, 08:11:48 am »
I don't get what's all the fuss with One Piece....

Because it makes you cry. (If you have the patience to get through the slow development of the story line.)
I would have to say Elfen Lied.  For a series that is notorious for its brutal violent content, it does wallow quite a bit in cutesy anime cliches.  The tonal inconsistency killed that series for me.  The thing that makes it worse is that when it does want to be taken seriously, it effectively ripped my heart out.  Then a couple of scenes later it is back to cutesy ville, as if all of the sadism was a perverse joke on the audience.

I agree 100% with this, I may have also missed some points they wore trying to get across but... this anime did not do it for me.
I may be off but the main character as I remember her was too much of a teenager when it came to teenager stuff and too much of a machine when it came to killing. It doesn't go that way. It's not like today I have to kill 100 people to stay alive, tomorrow I'll just continue my life with some other people similar to those 100 I just killed and not particularly cared about, as if nothing happened. It feels like it should have been a far longer and more elaborate anime to make itself believable. As it stands, seemed like a joke to me too. I didn't feel much because of it, maybe in the end some unsatisfactory mild sadness witch I couldn't logically explain at most. It was not funny either.
I think I am going to revisit it.  I watched it during a very dark point in my life, many years ago.  Perhaps I was looking to have my heart ripped out on a pervasive basis over the course of twelve episodes.  Who knows?

Does Elfen Lied even classify as drama? :happy:
Little piece of advice if you allow it: if you want to cry your heart out, watch "Little Prince Sarah - Shokojo Sera", best drama I have ever seen, that including movies, anime, serials, documentaries, everything. And I have seen over 10k movies in  my life I think, as a drama genre fan. I have seen it about 6 times, one would think one can expect what will happen next, still, I just can't not cry. It's just brilliantly done anime, because it absolutely makes you believe it. You believe it to be more real than reality itself, that's one of it's absolute strengths. It doesn't have top graphics but it doesn't matter, it's just like that painting "The Scream", it's awful if you're looking for detailed graphic, but for some reason it just scares the shit out of you. Same thing. (Thinking about it now I believe the poor graphic actually helps the tragic story line rather then to set itself against it. We're not building star ships here, or fighting monsters with a smirk on our faces, we're just children in a harsh man made word. We are real.)
{In a way it's similar to "Grave of the Firefiles", just about a thousand times better. Not to mention far less sick.}
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:28:05 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:04 am »
I thought Twilight was the best drama, maybe if I watch it I would know better.

You can't tell people something is not a drama when you don't seem to understand what it means. I guess if you watched over 10K movies you probably are older than any of us ... together.
Although I remember your statement you fast forward when watching so you could have missed a few things in Elfen Lied, you might want to watch it in slow motion this time, maybe then you will see where the drama is.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2017, 09:25:32 am »
I only FF movies that I find boring, I have never FF any anime! I simply don't watch it if 1-2 eps. bore me. :happy:
I have watched 12h a day of TV all the way through school, maybe not 10k movies, but not far off I think. "Twilight" you mean the movie, right? :happy: Well, if you want drama movie, watch "Eight Below", if you don't find it more dramatic than Twilight, I'm not an anime fan. :laugh:
I recommend also "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" and "Fluke", all 3 are with dogs as main characters but all 3 are better dramas than Twilight, in meh view. :happy:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:31:13 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:27 am »
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react to your posts, you seem completely oblivious to sarcasm.

Also even close to 10k, please do the math.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2017, 10:43:58 am »
I counted those which I've seen multiple times too. :D
I've seen about 1 movie a day, I am almost 32 years old, about 20 of those I've spent with a movie a day, so 20*365 days = about 7k movies watched, some multiple times! :D Yes, I watch a lot of TV and computer movies. Somethimes in the same time! :laugh:

That would be the right way to react, because I've seen many childish opinions here, I pretty much take them all serious, not to offend anyone (on purpose). Yes, Twilight was not dramatic almost at all because the characters are shallow as shit, but I can't say it wasn't entertaining. It had it's perks.

PS(off topic): I think my english would be much less proficient if I'd have watched lets say half the movies I watched.
I've learned german (deutch) just straight from the TV watching 5-6 hours anime in german a day, runs and reruns. There woren't any computers or internet then so... Why would english be any different!? Of coarse I don't know german even 30% of the lvl I know english but I do understand almost everything one says in that language. Fun fact: I knew german before any english! :laugh: Yes, i did also get out to play with a rubber ball kicking it over a net or something with other kids, but only before they installed me cable TV, then it was straight german anime, much more fun then the rubber ball + friends attached to it. No, I have no friends anymore, that could be a reason why. Who gives a f....

More PS(off topic): I had a VCR before cable TV, watched Rambo 1&2 about 10 times each and Terminator2: Judgement Day about 30-40 times!
I knew it almost by heart by the time I was 12 or so. And I hear few years after, that an american kid got some sort of prize for knowing it by heart. Well, that's bit of a joke. I knew it subtitled in romanian, and even to moan some english I didn't even understand! Try learning by heart a movie different from your birth tongue, kid with the award!  :laugh:

Label: people these days don't know what a VCR-video casette recorder or casette player for music is. It's outdated technology yes, it was like those big rolls of tape you see (in some reference scenes here and there) in cinemas playing the old movies, only reduced at much smaller dimensions so you could play it at home through the devices I just mentioned, both for music as well as for movies.

You have reminded me of another good drama "Soldier" (1998) with Kurt Russel, seen it about 4 times! Drama+SF on HBO which was a big thing then. There's a scene at the beginning where he as a soldier who gave his whole life only to serve, as he was trained only to be a soldier since he was a boy and nothing else, is discarded like an outdated piece of technology, thrown with the trash on a trash dumping planet. He and his pals wore replaced by a much better, genetically engineered army, with reflexes, strength, speed, stamina all superior. He finds on the trash planet a group of rejects, of people who couldn't live anywhere else but just of the industrial garbage big companies dumped there. They take him in but soon he is outcast even from that group because he doesn't show any joy or sympathy. Some woman asks him at one point what did he learn all his life, he sais "Fear, discipline." As he is hiding from a sandstorm in a concrete block, his 1st tear drips down his cheek. He notices that drip of water on his face, wipes it quick to see what the hell that is. It's a signal of an emotion he never was allowed to feel, he cared for those people and didn't even realize it. Soon the superior army (of mercenaries) comes back because the people on that planet wore nuisances for the company who hired them so they needn't any alive and are ordered to kill everyone. Of coarse or soldier although outcast by them, comes back to fight for them, kills one by one every last one of those so called superior soldiers through pure ingeniosity and field experience the superior army didn't posses. And after that, he takes a transmitting device from one of the superior soldiers, calls his commander who discarded him and says "Your men... are obsolete!". ::)

Now that's what I call a drama, not what you see in an anime like some kid got dumped by his girlfriend or viceversa. OMG, the horror! :laugh:
If you'd ever consider to watch that movie, sorry for the spoiler. You probably won't so no harm done. :happy: Loved it, and I love Kurt Russel, great actor! Seen him lately in Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" and "Deepwater Horizon", yes, I am getting close to 10k movies, believe it or not! :happy:

Sorry for the (amount of) offtopic, but if someone starts it, I most definitely will end it.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:14:19 pm by Johnny D »