Author Topic: New to torrents.. Kind of.  (Read 323 times)

Offline Deebles

New to torrents.. Kind of.
« on: March 05, 2017, 10:17:29 am »
So I have torrented in the past in my youth but I have just googled a torrent downloaded it.. Deleted everything.. Never seeded.. Called it a day. I realize now sites like this that doesn't fly. Seeding is the key to keeping your ratio up. I intend to do so here.  All tho I admit i'm not super savvy on all the torrent stuff.

I just started downloading a series of anime and noticed it was freeleech? (guessing that means it doesn't hurt my ratio) My questions is.. Does seeding it help my ratio?

Thanks in Advance.

Online ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Re: New to torrents.. Kind of.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:34 am »
Seeding a lot helps.
Donating some $ helps.
Farming bonus points and trading it to upload credit helps.

Also, just because it's freeleech doesn't mean it'll be helpful. Look at those leechers. Are they many? If they aren't, "seeding" it won't be much of help

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:50:47 am »
I just started downloading a series of anime and noticed it was freeleech? (guessing that means it doesn't hurt my ratio) My questions is.. Does seeding it help my ratio?

Of course it does. Just seed everything you download for as long as you can. While, as ridon mentioned, you may not get to upload a lot, any upload you make will count toward your ratio.

Feel free to grab more stuff, the more stuff you have to seed, the likelier your chances of making upload get. You can get unlimited amount of Freeleech torrent, however torrents that are not freeleech you have to keep track of your ratio to stay above 0.1 (ideally 0.5 or better) after you leech 25 GB, because after 25 GB your account can get warned and prevent you from leeching further until you fix your ratio.

Other useful reading material, and most of what I explained can be found here -
http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/For_First_Timers

Offline Deebles

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:26 pm »
Thanks for the help!

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:26:07 pm »
Some general (free) pointers, in very rough order:
  • Seeding as many torrents as possible for as long as possible, as often as possible — preferably 24/7/365.25 — is the most fundamentally effective tactic.
  • You'll generally need roughly 20 torrents in "Forced start" mode to see regular seeding activity of any kind, barring perennial favorites (I got ridiculous traction from anything re: "Captain Harlock", for example) and for even an average asymmetrical broadband cable connection (say, 4-6 Mbit up) you'll likely need 100+ to reliably max your up pipe here.  Yes, really :o.
  • Become a "Power User" and maintain that status religiously.  Not only are there a few small-but-useful QoL perks re: the site itself, but you also get to download torrents during the "Protected" period, which lets you get a head start on the new swarm.  This is almost guaranteed to generate positive ratio.  I'm not exaggerating.
  • Hentai torrents, while often small, see a lot of upload traffic.  Similarly, Manga and OSTs can generate a good bit of upload credit for you.  Expect less traffic from light novels.
  • You've already heard of "Freeleech" above but again, Freeleech content is always free to download, yet gives full upload credit.  A new Freeleech torrent in the Protected period is ratio gold.
  • Sort the torrent browse list first by Seeders (click ths "S" in the "DSL" column label), note which torrents are least seeded, then sort by Leechers (click the "L"), and see those that are most popular with leechers.  This will show you moment-to-moment good performers, but you'll also start to see regulars in that list.
  • You will notice certain swarms just oozing ratio; keep them, if no others.
  • Post PUBLIC .torrent files (downloaded while logged out for torrents you are seeding; DO NOT, however, share your private .torrents you download while logged in or you will be swiftly autobanned!) on other fora and social media.  This is quite legit, if done properly, and actually works rather well.  Important note:  Public .torrents expire monthly; you'll need to publicly re-d/l and re-post the torrent every month, if you want to continue.
  • Bonus points can be effective, if all else fails.

As paid options, seedboxes and simply donating to the site both are effective.

All that mess aside, I never did anything but the first two, while downloading anything I cared to, and I have a ratio of 3.561 (U: 8968 GB, D: 2518 GB, maybe 100 GB from Bonus Points); simple patience DOES work, I promise.  And remember, if all else fails, simply don't bother with it; you can download everything as a public user.  You can search for content via Google ("inurl:bakabt {desired content here}") or simply copy the url of the torrent's page, log out (or open a different browser that isn't logged in) and paste in the url.  Ratio is mainly "e-peen" here.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:31:48 pm by Bozobub »

Offline Deebles

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:03:44 am »
Wow thank you! I mean I understood most of that.

Yeah I feel like I got a good advantage of being able to seed from another family house. I can just DL stuff I want and seed it like forever at my other house. Just got to make sure my torrent software autostarts. Thanks so much for all the advice!

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:15:11 am »
That's a good method but make absolutely sure you don't ever have the same torrent running in two places at once; that'll net you a fast tracker autoban for "sharing your key" (which is exactly why you log out before downloading a .torrent you want to share :o)).  You can use many simultaneous IP addresses with no problem, as long as none of the torrents are duplicated between them.

Glad that helped.  :)

Edit -> I forgot to mention an additional tactic:  Download material elsewhere and seed it here.  There's a section of the Wiki devoted to explaining how this works.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:08:51 am by Bozobub »