Author Topic: Manga on Phone: Android or iOS  (Read 57 times)

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
Manga on Phone: Android or iOS
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »
I need a new phone. I have also decided that my primary manga and LN reading will be on the new phone. I will be going for a flagship since I buy only once in 4 years or something so...

My main deciding factor is Android or iOS. I have used both and don't really mind either as a daily driver.

Requirement:
- Last me a good 3+ years without lag (like seriously, don't fucking lag)
- LN and Manga reading OFFLINE and UNOFFICIAL sources. Yup, I just want to load a whole ton and then when I want I should be able to access it without some stupid message asking me to go online.

For LN, I am already decided that iOS is better, since the iBook reader is the best app I have experienced for reading ebooks (it does have limited type support, but that annoyed me a lot less than basically every other crappy ebook reader on Android and hell even on the App Store).
So 1 win for iOS.

However, manga is an issue. My current iOS device is iPhone 4s, the small 3.5 inch screen. I need a reasonably small screen, so the 4.7 inch normal edition is what I would for in iOS (Used the 5.5 inch, manga is freaking awesome on it, but damn it's big). On android I am liking the new LG G6 with it's 18:9 ratio, so it will be either that or the new S8 since that too seem to have something like that. If iPhone does go the 18:9 route, that would be nice.

The manga on iPhone was a bit of pain, since some apps didn't allow me to add my own or zip files, not to mention small screen. Android was similar case, so I had unzipped everything and moved image files, so I would use gallery to browse through it.

The app experience, though old was bad. So how is the scene now. What about you guys, how do you guys read manga on your device, if you do i.e.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
Re: Manga on Phone: Android or iOS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:13 pm »
So, my input as an android user:

LN: With apps like Aldiko and BakaReader you're pretty much set. Add to that the option of legally buying translations through kindle (amazon.com account) and google play books it serves all my needs more than enough. IIRC, there is no BakaReaderEX for iOS, but there is LN-Reader, which still lacks some of the functionality (can't download chapters for instance).

Manga: Honestly, I found reading manga a pain on 5" screens, so I avoid doing that. There's a host of manga reading apps, I've used Perfect Viewer, and it appears to be able to handle everything I throw at it. Could be that it has problems with nested archives (I know the app I previously used had those issues) but I haven't noticed that yet.

I'm using a Z3 and it still runs like a charm, however I can't say what it'll be like in 2 years.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »
yeah reading mangas on phones is a pain, needing proper naming for sequence and zooming to read and all.
however, the higher PPI of phones makes blurry mangas a bit more readable.

honestly though, some readers (both LN and manga readers) have issues with number sequence.
e.g. 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, 31, 4, etc. needs to be renamed to 01, 02, 03, ..., 11, 12, 13, etc.

just keep in mind that iphones doesn't have uSD expansion, so you'll have to resort to using OTG USBs to hold more than the internal storage.
its better to aim for 128GB minimum on this regard, a portion of that is reserved for OS+factory default, so the actual usable space may well be less than 100GB.

PS: i've recently bought an Asus Zenfone Go 5.5", a bit too big to my liking but its quite satisfying so far.
i'm reading mangas and novels from online sites and its doing great, speed wise its on the slow side, but for it's purpose it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:30:08 pm by kitamesume »

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »
Well, reading manga on phone isn't really a ideal solution, but since I my job has become more mobile, I have less time at home. Whenever I am at a site, there are chances that I get an hour or two off. It will be waiting for someone else to get their job done so I can do mine, at those times, there are cases where it is a remote station with no net access and the company laptop isn't a real use at that time. And after I come home, I am rarely in mood for manga, I just do some gaming before retiring to bed.

The use came more naturally, first I would read through some novels, sometimes some manga I had uploaded on the phone a long time ago. Then I thought I might as well catch up on these and be a bit less bored.

Homu-Homu is troubled