Author Topic: live action asian movies  (Read 64 times)

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
live action asian movies
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:04 am »
Looking for some good entertaining asian action movies, kung fu, shoot em ups, crazy cyborgs, whatever.  I havent seen a lot, mostly just the big ones that come west, production value is probably most important to me, followed by as little drama as possible.  I don't mind silly shit, dumb stories or bad plots as long as the experience is fun, the second a term like "thought provoking" is used to describe a thing is the second I lose interest.  Oh and age, newer is better, preferably 2k+
If anyone knows of some movies that fit, I'd appreciate the recommendations

also if anyone knows a worthwhile tracker that focuses on asian movies that'd help

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: live action asian movies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
The One was pretty good
I also enjoyed Jet Li's Fearless

'The One' was a US production
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:20:38 pm by Krudda »

Offline undetz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:44 pm »
Well, there's Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, a B movie, but holy shit is it entertaining. If you like it, you can just start looking up other films by the same directors on imdb. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a classic of Kung Fu movies, it's older, but check it out if you haven't. Bunraku is technically a western production, but quite un-hollywoodlike, the visual art direction is amazing.

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
The One was pretty good
I also enjoyed Jet Li's Fearless
by "big ones that come west" I basically meant everything with jet li, jackie chan, chow yun fat or bruce lee.  The one and Fearless were pretty good, my fav jet li movie is probably Hero.

Well, there's Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, a B movie, but holy shit is it entertaining. If you like it, you can just start looking up other films by the same directors on imdb. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a classic of Kung Fu movies, it's older, but check it out if you haven't. Bunraku is technically a western production, but quite un-hollywoodlike, the visual art direction is amazing.
will check em out, thanks.

Online DespondenSea

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:41:52 am »
Ichi the Killer (Japan), The Host (2006 Korean film), I Saw The Devil (Korea), The Man From Nowhere (Korea), and The Good The Bad The Weird (Korea) are all excellent films.

I would recommend having a strong stomach for Ichi and I Saw The Devil. They can both be brutal.

Offline Triltaison

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:42:00 pm »
I can rec Yakuza Weapon, Monster Girl Squad, and Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky if you're in the mood for over-the-top blood fests that hardly take themselves seriously. Riki- Oh is kinda old, but its English dub is infamously terrible for a reason and makes it even more ridiculous. The others feature such wonderful moments as a real-life Astro Boy, a man with a gun for his limbs, a naked girl transformed into a weapon carried by another person, and a giant robot with an artificial part of the male human anatomy as a primary weapon. They're kinda nuts.

Kung Fu Hustle is also fun if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:45:47 pm by Triltaison »