Author Topic: Useful software repository.  (Read 48039 times)

Offline TiDaN

• http://Agent-IM.net
Useful software repository.
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:41:33 am »
In an attempt to post something that (might) be useful to the community, I will put some of the best software, in my opinion in a nice ordered list.

I am going to add a small description for each application (ie; why I think it is a good one)

Obviously, this is by no means a complete list, nor will it ever be, but I will ask that the community please participate by replying to this topic and suggesting software. If you choose to do so, please indicate why you think the program in question should be included in the list, and please include all relevant infos. (Publisher, links, etc). Thanks a lot!

As it is currently pretty late in the night, this is pretty much only what I could come up with on the top of my head. When I have some time, I will add more to the list, and also include links to the publishers website, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of these applications are for windows.
Legend: Freeware - Shareware
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web-related software
¤ Mozilla Firefox, browser - Easy to use, secure, tons of plugins.
¤ Mozilla Thunderbird, mail client - Easy to use, secure, tons of plugins.

Web-related software, for developers
¤ FTP Expert 2, ftp client - Stable, powerful, advanced features (multiple connections, etc).
¤ Putty, ssh client - (Connects to Linux systems, etc) Very advanced and robust. Excellent program.
¤ Dreamweaver MX, code editor - good syntax coloration, ftp support.
¤ RadRails, ruby on rails editor - excellent program.
¤ gVim, editor - VIM on windows, anyone?

Sound tools
¤ Sony Sound Forge, audio editing - Powerful software, sound effects, recording, encoding, etc.
¤ Sony ACID Pro, audio editing - Very advanced, supports multi-track, effects, filters, etc, etc.
¤ Fraunhofer IIS MP3, command line encoder - Ease of use, powerful, fast.

Video tools
¤ Zoom Player, player - VERY powerful player, ease of use, FAST.
¤ mkvMerge, mkv muxer - Ease of use, functional, fast.
¤ VirtualDub, video compression - Powerful, fast, bath jobs, etc.

Other tools
¤ TCPView, netstat GUI - Simple, very useful.
¤ Process Explorer, task manager on crack - Awesome program to replace, or complement your task manager.
¤ Autoruns, manage everything that possibly runs on your computer - VERY powerful, you HAVE to try this.
¤ Filemonitor, trace disk usage - Very powerful and useful, especially to debug errors, etc.
¤ Regmonitor, trace registry usage - Very powerful and useful, especially to debug errors, etc.
~ Note: the 5 previous tools are all freeware from SysInternals. I have fixed countless problems thanks to them.

Instant messengers
¤ Agent - Ease of use, file transfers, chat room, used mainly by BoxTorrents users! <3

Offline Semnae

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
This is almost identical to the Cool and Useful Websites thread that's stickied at the top of this section, except you aren't providing any links.

CDisplay - A must have for anyone who downloads manga.
Winrar - Powerful software that opens just about any archive file you can think of.
Adobe Reader 8 - Software that opens .pdf files.  Used for reading large text documents such as e-books.
VLC media player - A wonderful, simple player that plays most video files without the need to download a bunch of codecs.
CloneCD - CD burning software specifically designed to bypass copywrite protection.
Daemon Tools - Virtual drive mounting software.
Azureus - My favorite bittorrent client.
Google Earth - Satellite imagery of the entire globe.  Resolution is not always the best, but it's still facinating.

Offline TiDaN

• http://Agent-IM.net
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 09:10:36 am »
Heh, calm down :)

I said I would be adding the links later.. this is just a 'beta' version of the list, because I'm too tired to continue at this moment.

When I get back on tomorrow, I'll finish to add my picks, then I'll merge the good suggestions in.

There's not even half of all of the programs I was thinking about putting up there :)

So this is how I'll do this, I'll kinda have to 'judge' the suggestions, and so if I think a suggestion is worthy enough to be in the main list, I will edit it out from the original post, and add it to the index. For the 'rejected' entries, I will just leave them in the original post, so they can still be viewed, and be discussed upon.

What do you guys think? Works for you?

Offline Jarudin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:28 pm »
Miranda IM - Instant messenger that combines MSN, ICQ, AIM and all that crap. Resource friendly. Active community (mostly Russian I think). Highly customizable. More features than I can name here.

Also add:
MediaPlayerClassic, CCCP, QuickTime Alternative, Real Alternative VirtualDubMod, TweakXP (to get rid of nasty windows default thingies), QuickSFV, Wallpaper Master, WinSCP (sftp, scp etc. for Windows) and uTorrent ofcourse.

--Jarudin--

Offline donald7777

ftp software
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 03:27:04 am »
The best ftp software out there in my opinion is FlashFxp has many features that set it apart form the competition.

Offline dubkats

• Admin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:25:09 pm by dubkats »

♪ タコ タコ タコス おいしい タコス. いきてる タコス は ア-ミゴタコス エ-ヘ ♪

Offline VnTB

• Wheee personel text ..
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 04:35:33 pm »
For windows customizing:

WindowBlinds - Customize the look and feel of Windows XP with WindowBlinds. It's a Windows utility that enables users to personalize nearly every aspect of the Windows graphical user interface.

IconPackager - The world's best, easiest way to change the icons on Microsoft Windows! IconPackager is a program that allows users to change nearly all of their Windows icons at once by applying "packages" of icons.

CursorXP - Stardock CursorXP is a program that lets you use and create incredibly cool looking Windows mouse cursors.

LogonStudio - Stardock LogonStudio allows Windows XP users to edit, change, and apply new logon screens.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:24:28 pm by VnTB »
Anime highlight: Hanada Shounen-shi !!

Offline Lan-the-Pianist

• Former Staff
  • My fingers are faster than your fingers.
Re: Useful software repository.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:33 pm »
http://portableapps.com/ for portable versions to be carried around on an ext. hdd or usb key. Extra security ;) if you dont'want to leave your chatlogs/browsing history etc on other people's computers, esp on campus computers.
Lan 
I dont care if you and indiana jones go on the holy grail of boob search, looking for a nipple in the shape of new zealand. I really dont give a shit.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:21:38 am »
Some useful Mac apps:

Free/Open Source:
Adium X - Open-source multi-network IM program for Macs. Similar in features to Miranda or Trillian.
Camino - Mozilla-based browser for Mac OS X designed for Mac OS X. Fits into Mac OS X better than its Windows/Linux-designed cousin  Firefox.
Colloquy - Open-source IRC client designed for Mac OS X. Fast, fully featured, and easily one of the most beautiful IRC clients on any platform.
Quicksilver - The ultimate shortcut for your Mac. Summon any file, application, or folder on your system instantly and do nearly anything with it without even taking your fingers off the keyboard or using complicated key combos!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:26:54 am by iindigo »

Offline emilysdad

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 02:02:15 am »
For those of us running Fedora Core, I recommend the Livna repository, home to non-free items like codecs, etc.  To install support for Livna, just run the following command as root: 

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm

Then yum will have access to the entire repository. A command like

yum -y install mplayer mplayer-* xine xine-*

will install mplayer and xine, the two main Linux media engines, and all the associated codecs.

I also have to tip my hat to "Dag," a guy in Belgium who repackaged thousands of programs for Fedora and RedHat systems.  See http://apt.sw.be/ for details.  Most of his stuff is now integrated into FreshRPMs at http://freshrpms.net/.

Ubuntu/Debian users should take a stroll by the Automatix site which has many of the same packages for that distribution.

Offline omegadragon

• Supporter of the Yandere Union
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 06:57:30 pm »
not sure if this goes here

Video downloader for firefox works on Youtube, Google Video, iFilm, Metacafe and loads more (check site for full list)
saves them in .flv format which plays in VLC player or you could convert it

Spreading the yandere love

rednax

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 04:09:19 am »
Synergy - freeware - If you have two computers next to each other and want to control them with 1 mouse and keyboard, this is your tool. Puts KVM switches in the grave unless you need bios stuff - and even lots of KVMs can't do that...

Offline Mcgreag

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 01:44:29 am »
* CDex - Simple and best audio ripping tool.
* Samurize - System monitoring and desktop enhancement tool. Can do basically anything you want.
* Treesize - Keep track of what is eating up your harddrive space.
Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason.

Offline Lucerin Red

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:23:58 pm »
Some useful Mac apps:

Free/Open Source:
Adium X - Open-source multi-network IM program for Macs. Similar in features to Miranda or Trillian.
Camino - Mozilla-based browser for Mac OS X designed for Mac OS X. Fits into Mac OS X better than its Windows/Linux-designed cousin  Firefox.
Colloquy - Open-source IRC client designed for Mac OS X. Fast, fully featured, and easily one of the most beautiful IRC clients on any platform.
Quicksilver - The ultimate shortcut for your Mac. Summon any file, application, or folder on your system instantly and do nearly anything with it without even taking your fingers off the keyboard or using complicated key combos!

good list, but needs a few others
Virtue Desktop run multiple desktops
Seashore really simple free image editing software
GIMP more advanced image editing
fugu ftp and database interaction stuff
parallels best windows emulator omg I love this thing

Offline -yasu-

• LawL
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 05:28:12 pm »
RMclock Freeware, invaluable low resource using tool that takes over window's lousy power management system to allow you to underclock and set cpu voltages. Perfect for computers and laptops to save energy by running at low speeds, and higher speeds when necessary. It will also extend cpu life, and handy for laptops that are running hot.
"Men are from earth, women are from earth. Deal with it." -GC

Offline Gabzor

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:21:20 am »
www.tightvnc.com/ ~ A program that allows you to do remote control/remote sharing of desktops, can be used to setup servers, provide virtual help, etc.

Offline luna

• Pocky Goddess
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 09:43:45 am »
Diskeeper - defragger
Registry Mechanic - cleans your registry

Offline Ogu

• \^o^/
    • Blogu (Japan is an island)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 03:02:47 am »
Web-related software, for developers
¤ Filezilla, FTP Client ... Simple to use, powerful and - as of filezilla3 - multiplataform
¤ Notepad++, Text editor ... tabbed browsing, WYSIWYG, color coding, function lists, support for plugins and many languages... Open Source :).
¤ Pixie, Color Picker.

Sound tools
¤ Audacity, Powerful Multi-platform Audio Editing/Recording... Open Source Too!
¤ Foobar2000, Highly Customizable Media Player.

Instant messengers
¤ Pidgin (formerly GAIM) - Open Source, Supports many protocols, clean interface, easy to use.

Some of these were featured on my "Top 10 free windows apps" list on my blog.

(2b)v¬(2b) = the Shakespearean Function

Offline omegadragon

• Supporter of the Yandere Union
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 08:49:10 pm »
just add this

IZarc
IZArc supports the following archive file type:
7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BZ2, BZA, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MIM, PAK, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO

Features:
· Create an archive
· Add, delete, and extract files to an existing archive
· Test an archive file
· Convert archive
· Convert CD Images
· Repair broken archive
· Searching for any files in many archives
· Favorite Folders
· Obtaining a detailed list of files and information like compression rate, path, or size from an archive file
· Supports both long and short 8.3 filenames
· Disk spanning from and to multiple diskettes or other removable media
· Implementing the possibility to sort the list items by name size, date and etc.
· Full Drag & Drop support
· CD/DVD Images support
· Integrating in Windows Explorer context menu
· Automatic installation of most software distributed in archive files
· Add / View comments in an archive
· By double-clicking onto a file in the file list, it's opened with the program associated to this file type
· CheckOut feature
· Create a self-extracting archive
· E-mail an archive
· Checking for new updates
· Build-in multilanguage support
· Virus Scan feature
· UU/XX/MIME Encode/Decode
· Create and merge Multi-Volume Set
· UnSFX (Convert self-extracting (SFX) .EXE files to standard archives)
· Encrypt files using Rijandael - AES (256-bits) encryption (WinZip 9 compatible)
· Decrypt (.ize) files

Spreading the yandere love

Offline Ogu

• \^o^/
    • Blogu (Japan is an island)
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 08:51:05 pm »
IZarc is nice, very nice ... i used it, but i was converted by 7zip ... It's almost the same thing, it's just a matter of tastes

(2b)v¬(2b) = the Shakespearean Function