Author Topic: Useful software repository.  (Read 48020 times)

Offline Blanchimont

• Dreamer through Time
Re: CRC32Finder
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 10:04:49 pm »
Rapidcrc is popular, but try this too :) :CRC32finder
... It's a very simple program, it finds the crcs of files, one-click copying of filenames, and also has an option to add the crcs to the filenames automatically.

(edit; the link on the page was to an older version (v. 1.1). The above link is to the version I have (v. 1.3), uploaded to a filehosting site)
(can't remember where I got it, just that I got it a long time ago...)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:39:16 pm by Blanchimont »

"..It's our dreams that guide us towards the future...not force"

Offline Slykester

• 待ってられない未来がある。。。( ゚Д゚) ハァ?
Re: Useful software repository.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:56 am »
Tuneup Utilities: Pretty useful utilities pack, in the grain of Norton utilities except it doesn't fubar your computer and has an easy restoration feature to undo changes.

Cerberus FTP Server: Absolutely fantastic fully featured server

Desktop Save & Restore: Save the location of icons on your screen in case the positions get messed up by a resolution change.

Video related:
- Avisynth & Yatta: Not for the feint of heart, but probably the best combination for IVTC that I have used.

Offline LordMorgh

• Fleeting Attention
    • Random Thoughts about Random Things
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 07:01:30 pm »
Opera - Best browser out there. Most customizable, and most easily customized, interface of them all. Fast and smooth browsing due to rendering engine, and a trillion shortcuts through both keyboard and mouse. Underrated because it's not open source, lacks plugins (of which I only use Firebug in Firefox, though I still prefer Chrome over Firefox if I can't use Opera for something), and used to be ad-supported/cost money. It's now free

µTorrent - The least bloated torrent client out there. The official BitTorrent client is based on this one, but adds junky bloat like DNA.

Notepad++ - Ridiculously powerful Notepad program. You have to see it to believe it. Really.

Launchy - Indexes files and folders of your choice (start menu shortcuts are default). It's the only way I open oft-used folders and all my programs now.

Filezilla - Basic FTP browser. That's it :>

Daemon Tools - DVD-ROM emulator. Essential for reading your backup images.

Got more on my bookmarks page. Which reminds me I should update it... :P
Yes, One Piece is supreme. Yes, I'm a One Piece fanboi.

There's no point arguing with idiots. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Offline Unsubv

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 01:24:36 am »
The opera fan ;D asked if it was really important to use opensource software?
For myself yes both on a practical and personal beliefs level I like to support open source.
While I am not quite hardcore enough(or tech savvy enough) to go to a Linux system I still really prefer to use and support open source.

I know someone mentioned and provided a link for Open Office but I think it is a great program as well.

Offline SpeedKills

• Back by popular demand.
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 01:11:03 am »
Does anyone know a good app for list making?  I use OpenOffice Calc for my anime / music lists, but it would be great to have an app that would organize it and export to html or other formats...

I might start writing one if I can't find any  ???

Whoever reaches his ideal transcends it eo ipso.

Offline Nethfel

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
Another tool I use all the time:

MediaCoder (http://www.mediacoderhq.com/) - great little tool for transcoding video formats.  Also has a version preset for various portable devices.  I use it quite frequently for my ipod

Offline 1fatal1ty

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:36 pm »
just wana dump this on ya if any one uses vista 64bit and is having probs with subs and mkv and so on
install

cccp first
http://www.cccp-project.net/
then
Vista Codec x64 Components 1.6.8 Final
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5535.html

this gives a 64bit ver of
Haali Media Splitter
and adds all know file types to Vista MC
it helps a lot as DirectX can handle video
Dont ever use VLC (dose work good in linux)
anime need i say more....wait forgot Manga to lol

Offline quekmeister

• I like big crabs and I can not lie.
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 04:25:43 am »
Opera - Best browser out there. Most customizable, and most easily customized, interface of them all. Fast and smooth browsing due to rendering engine, and a trillion shortcuts through both keyboard and mouse. Underrated because it's not open source, lacks plugins (of which I only use Firebug in Firefox, though I still prefer Chrome over Firefox if I can't use Opera for something), and used to be ad-supported/cost money. It's now free
The only problem I have with Opera is that I couldn't find out how to turn off the .torrent integration, or even discover where the .torrent file went.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 01:51:06 pm »
It's quite easy - Tools - Perferences - Advanced - Downloads - Turn off Hide file types opened with opera

Type in torrent - click edit just choose open download dialog instead....
That way you can open it directly with uTorrent or another default bittorrent client.

These are short steps - if you have trouble PM me.....

Offline quekmeister

• I like big crabs and I can not lie.
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 05:31:32 am »
It's quite easy - Tools - Perferences - Advanced - Downloads - Turn off Hide file types opened with opera

Type in torrent - click edit just choose open download dialog instead....
That way you can open it directly with uTorrent or another default bittorrent client.

These are short steps - if you have trouble PM me.....
I am an idiot. I thought I'd been through those preferences twenty times, but apparently it wasn't enough for me to notice that...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:54:20 am by quekmeister »

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 03:02:16 pm »
Don't worry it's all becouse of the evil "Hide file types opened with opera" checker - it took me a while to find it too :D

Offline Angelkiller

• Erizu-san wa koko ni iru.
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 02:03:56 pm »
http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

quick web based virus scanner (FREE)
I use it sometimes as backup scanner.
Read the guidelines!

Offline iindigo

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:50 pm »
TextMate - Pretty much THE most awesomesauce source editor on Mac OS X. Has everything you'd expect from a source editor and more. Light and fast. Only downside that it isn't freeware.

Quıcĸsıɩⅴεʀ - Amazing free app launcher, document opener, and more. It's completely invisible until you press a hotkey, at which point a small window opens in the middle of the screen, allowing you to type the name of the application or document you're after (for example, typing "sa" might select Safari). Hit enter to then open the selected item. Much nicer than spelunking through directories manually.

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 03:16:07 am »
While I was working on OS X, I found blacktree visor very useful, despite its bugs.  It's a quake-style terminal (pops down from the top of the screen with a hotkey), similar to Tilda (GNOME), Yakuake (KDE) and stjerm, for Linux.  If you work in a terminal at all, they're very handy.  Otherwise, of course, they're useless ;).
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline razirazo_90

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 03:58:20 am »
xinorbis - free,powerful disk analyser.

analyse the disk content and create full and complex report about the content.
http://www.freshney.org/xinorbis/

Offline thenightwolf

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:50 am »

Dont ever use VLC (dose work good in linux)
Why not?
I've only ever had a problem with it once.
When in doubt, ask Admiral Ackbar.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:31 am »
What do you mean why not?
It still sucks.... It still can't play everything without crashing, skipping or whatnot....

That's why they never released a v1.0 - who knows if they ever will....
But it's not bad to have it as a last resort - since, now this is very, very rare, VLC's the only thing that a video will run property...

Just use KMPlayer or Zoom.... if you're using Windows.

Offline Arveene

• Former Staff
  • Sora <3
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46:00 am »
Deskview - Dunno, I just hate having a lot of icons on my desktop. This lets me just throw stuff on there without worrying about stuff covering my entire screen.
AniDB Userpage | MAL (Not updated as often)

Offline Chiruken

• My (current) Webbie
Searching for free dvd/cd burning software...
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 07:51:24 pm »
I'm searching for an easy to use free dvd/cd burning software similar to Burn 4 Free (http://www.burn4free.com/) (but, hopefully, without the unwanted additions...like the installation of the bundled toolbar -_-; ).

I'm not really all that interested in making disks that'll play on my dvd player (I'm probably one of the only people out there that actually prefers to watch anime on the computer over watching on a TV) and all I really need is a way to create a data disk (and on occasion a music cd that'll actually play in a cd player  :P ).

Offline Lupin

Re: Searching for free dvd/cd burning software...
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 08:06:24 pm »
I'm searching for an easy to use free dvd/cd burning software similar to Burn 4 Free (http://www.burn4free.com/) (but, hopefully, without the unwanted additions...like the installation of the bundled toolbar -_-; ).

I'm not really all that interested in making disks that'll play on my dvd player (I'm probably one of the only people out there that actually prefers to watch anime on the computer over watching on a TV) and all I really need is a way to create a data disk (and on occasion a music cd that'll actually play in a cd player  :P ).

Google InfraRecorder. It's free, open-source and a portable version exists.