Author Topic: Useful software repository.  (Read 48121 times)

Offline Chiruken

• My (current) Webbie
Re: Useful software repository.
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:05 pm »
Google InfraRecorder. It's free, open-source and a portable version exists.

Ahh, thank you!  I will give this a try.  =^_^=

EDIT:  May 17, 2009 1:16am... I tried it, I like it, I'm now using it.  Thanks to Lupin for your suggestion.  =^_^=
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:16:39 am by Chiruken »

Offline Lupin

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2009, 07:09:30 pm »
Nice to hear that you liked it  ;D

Other useful portable versions of some popular software can also be found in the PortableApps website.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 07:24:35 pm »
KMPlayer - a great lightweight multi functional standalone video/audio player
I accidentally found that there is an Easter egg.

If you click and drag your mouse repeatedly in the black square in about KMPlayer while not playing anything it will open a flash game RaidenX - old arcade space shooter type...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:26:08 pm by duki3003 »

Offline raylu

• raylu.net
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:35 am »
KMPlayer is a QT frontend for mplayer. Most GUIs suck and, unfortunately, KMPlayer is not an exception :P.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2009, 02:28:53 am »
I honestly can't agree with you on that... Apart from few problems it has with it's internal subtitle processor and video codec it is a great piece of software... And both of those problems can easily be solved by allowing it to use external codecs...

Other than that I see no disadvantages when compared to any other player in field of quality, usability, efficiency, memory usage, etc.

Offline Lord of Fire

• The Voice of Reason
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2009, 07:09:48 pm »
I honestly can't agree with you on that... Apart from few problems it has with it's internal subtitle processor and video codec it is a great piece of software... And both of those problems can easily be solved by allowing it to use external codecs...

Other than that I see no disadvantages when compared to any other player in field of quality, usability, efficiency, memory usage, etc.

I fully agree with you. Ever since a friend recommended it to me, I've been using it ever since.

It's a lot better than MPC or even VLC, both of which I find terribly overrated pieces of software..
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:15:57 pm by Lord of Fire »

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »
Apart from few problems it has...

And to elaborate on what they are - no styled subs and ordered chapters support... Both of which are solved by allowing the use of Haalie's Splitter and External Subtitle module to be used on file types of your choice.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline tangmonkey

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »

I fully agree with you. Ever since a friend recommended it to me, I've been using it ever since.

It's a lot better than MPC or even VLC, both of which I find terribly overrated pieces of software..

I've also been a huge fan of KMPlayer for a very long time.  It had been, until I upgraded my computer, the only video player that didn't skip or lag, and worked with subtitles out of the box.  Although, I'm not too happy with the more recent versions' added bloat.  Since Windows 7--I'm running an RC, and can't wait for RTM--now has support for several major codecs, I have been using plain-old Windows Media Player more often than any other video player with no trouble so far.

Now, here are a couple of my favorite pieces of technography:

• AutoHotKey - Awesome scripting/macro language to automate just about anything.
  • Dropbox - Free 2GB storage for file synchronization between PC/Mac/Linux computers.  Increase the possibilities by using mklink in Windows and ln in Linux/Mac
  • QSoft RamDisk - Not free (Varying Prices) but the evaluation version works until Jan 2010 and is fully functional!  Who likes super fast web browsing?  I use this program to create a ram drive of about 128mb then move my Firefox's cache to the ramdisk (*cough* 2000+ MB/sec r/w times)
  • Digsby - If you chat on just about any of the major IM clients, frequent major social networking sites, and/or use email frequently, this is thing is awesome.  It puts it altogether, lets you use skins, and gives you instant notifications when you receive emails, messages, pokes, IMs, etc...seriously dump all of your other IM clients and use this.
  • Adium - (Sadly, Mac Only) Quite similar to Digsby (although Adium was born long before) minus the social networking and plus some beautiful customization abilities.  You can turn your buddy list into a thing of beauty.
  • YouMail - Not a piece of software, but still another way to let the machines take over every aspect of your life.  YouMail is a free voicemail service.  There are paid services as well, but they aren't really worth it especially since Google Voice will be going mainstream soon and is free.  Sign up for a free account, run through the wizard on how to configure your cell to work with YouMail, and then after some tweaking, you can have it setup so that you'll receive all of your voicemails in your email account inbox attached as an mp3 or wav file.  I have every single voicemail I've ever received for the past 4 years in my Gmail account.  Plus it says people's names when they call and leave you a voicemail (creeped out all of my friends first couple times around).
  • Stylish - An addon for Firefox that allows you to change the way websites (actually even the browser as well) look and work in your browser to your tastes...well, if you have CSS skills, but luckily there are thousands and thousands of premade user styles available online for you to use.
  • Greasemonkey - Also an addon for Firefox that does almost the same thing as Stylish, but is a bit more JavaScript focused.
  • Wireshark - Basically, if you have a need for it, you know what it does or knew it by its old name Ethereal.  For those who wish to know, it is a wonderful tool for checking out what's going on within your network at a very low level.  This one's just a tad out of left field, but I did feel I would suffer the wrath of something or someone if I hadn't mentioned this wonderful piece of software I use daily.

There are hundreds of other pieces of software I use every day (if you couldn't tell, I'm in the IT industry), so if anyone finds my choices useful and would like a recommendation on a piece of software for a specific use, feel free to ask me.  Also, if anyone has suggestions on better alternatives to some of the titles I listed, please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:16:58 am by tangmonkey »

Offline Xemnarth

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:06 am »
ToolTipFixer: "Ever since Microsoft invented the Windows Shell with explorer.exe back in the days of Windows 95, there's been a bug that's gone from one version of Windows to the next; and with each upgrade it became worse and worse - until Vista where it only rears its ugly head every once in a while instead: tooltips appear behind the taskbar, where you can't read them and they are of no use to you. And there's nothing you can do about it!

NST ToolTipFixer patches this bug for once and for all, doing what Microsoft hasn't been able to do in 13 years."

misachaos

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:42 am »
Thunderbird<3 Say goodbye to spam :D

Offline Lupin

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2009, 05:41:28 am »
This proves to be very useful: http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

Offline razirazo_90

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:49 pm »
Thunderbird<3 Say goodbye to spam :D
Windows live mail>Thunderbird ;D.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:23:05 pm by razirazo_90 »

Offline Spanks

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »
Just one of the programs I live by that I don't think has been mentioned.

CCleaner: Cleans up temp files, browser(cookies, temp, history etc) memory dumps and alot of other useless crap that windows creates to make your life easy(which it doesn't do anything, but waste space).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:06:20 am by Dontcarett »
"I ain't scared of heights. It's the ground that kills ya!"

Offline b05q

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2009, 05:34:51 am »
Avi-Mux GUI - handy video tool (split/join/convert) for windows.  avi/mkv/ogg.  small and fast.

http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2009, 01:07:24 pm »
HDD Health - Let's you monitor the temparature on your HDDs, their remaining life-span and a lot of other neat features. It's in beta, but works fine, been beta for a while though. Don't know if it'll ever change...

7-Zip (awesome tool) and Foxit Reader (bye, bye Adobe Reader).

EDIT: Floola - lets you put music on your iPod without using iTunes. Although you need what iTunes puts on your iPod before you go and use Floola. Awesome tool if you dislike iTunes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:23:37 pm by Takeshi »

Offline Arc-sama

• Former Staff
  • Yaoi Queen
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
Bulk Rename Utility

I found this in one of the forum threads.  Its great for renaming / editing file names. 

Now if I can only find a cataloging software, the one I have doesn't work any more.

Signature Pix done by: shabutie

Offline Spanks

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:35 am »
Bulk Rename Utility

I found this in one of the forum threads.  Its great for renaming / editing file names. 

Now if I can only find a cataloging software, the one I have doesn't work any more.
I couldn't find a good cataloging programs so I gave up and just made a script to print file names in a text file and stick the text in a various locations like backup, desktop etc
"I ain't scared of heights. It's the ground that kills ya!"

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
  • Little by little I'm going crazy
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:02 pm »
PS3 Media Server works for both PS3 and XBOX360 to stream your video files (including mkv) to your television from your computer. Simple to use and easy to set up - I'm thrilled with it. xbox can't fast forward or rewind content though - fair warning!

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

It's not me - it's you.

Offline midhras

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »
Broken Cross Disk Manager. Great cataloging software.

Offline Arc-sama

• Former Staff
  • Yaoi Queen
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34:32 am »
Broken Cross Disk Manager. Great cataloging software.

Thank you Midhras!!!  I'll try that.

Signature Pix done by: shabutie