Author Topic: Best Bitorrent Client?  (Read 103093 times)

Offline Semnae

Best Bitorrent Client?
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:36 pm »
I'm kicking Vuse to the curb.  I've taken the names of all the clients being used by peers currently connected to me and put them in the poll.  If I've missed one, just let me know and I'll add it.  What client should I go with and why?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:42:06 am by Nah »

Offline Transparent

• www.facebook.com/dschonrock
Re: What's the best bittorrent client?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:58:04 pm »
still using utorrent

Offline tazmanian

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:13 am »
uTorrent 1.7 ftw

Also, FlashGet is a great download manager (it's what I use), but a pretty sad excuse for a BT client. And BitLord is a spyware-infested clone of BitComet. And I'm pretty sure libtorrent is a linux-only client...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:01:01 am by tazmanian »

Offline psyren

• Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:05:14 am »
If you use BitComet or BitLord, I will ban you. I am serious.

EDIT: this is like the 3294870324987th thread on this topic I've seen in my time here. I'm stickying this in the hope that this will be the last.

Hold Nothing: If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your ancestor, kill your ancestor. Free of everything, bound by nothing, live your life as it is.
Click here if you can't play h264 encodes

Offline Transparent

• www.facebook.com/dschonrock
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:13:04 am »

EDIT: this is like the 3294870324987th thread on this topic I've seen in my time here. I'm stickying this in the hope that this will be the last.
good idea

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:31:15 am »
Azureus is still the most feature rich client with a lot of nice plugins. Vuze looks iffy though, so I would stick with 2.5 until something else comes along.

Downside is memory usage due to it being java, that and it has its own dht network with more info than the official one has.

Offline NaRu

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:51:23 pm »
Utorrent is the best

Offline deedlit4567

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:27:23 pm »
Well this is based on personal experience:

This is in order of best to use to least and few reasons why I put it in this order

1. Utorrent
- easy to setup
- easy to use
- no need to open any ports since it does so automatically
- hard drive/cpu friendly

2. Azureus
- Works on both mac and pc
- more complicated but like utorrent where it allows you to monitor multiple downloads at once
- more machine demanding
- hard drive friendly

3. Bittornado
- Requires you to open ports manually
- One client for one torrent
- Fragments your hard drive like crazy
- But still a trustworthy client

Other clients that are not banned from box I have not used due to the fact that utorrent updates often enough. It works great since you only need to run one client and can automatically is sent to your tray when you minimize. Its one of the best clients I use due to the fact that is user friendly and doesn't hog my cpu and doesn't kill my hard drive as fast as tornado would.

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:29 pm »
You forgot that Micro Torrent is a sell out client, Azureus is going to be going over to Vuse, and Bit Tornado hasn't been updated since last year (which I think was the first update in nearly two years for them).

I use Azureus bt the way. You have to restart it when it starts getting too hungry but that aside its pretty good. bit Bloated, but you just ignore the extra stuff.

Offline AcidMonkey

• And now for something completely different.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44:10 pm »
Why is BitComet so bad?
I've only heard that it refuses to start uploading to someone until they have sent you something. Meaning that if everyone used BitComet, then no one would send information to each other.

(I used to use BitComet until I switched to uTorrent for the above reason)
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
(There is no great genius without some touch of madness.)

- Seneca

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 05:51:33 pm »
I have used Bit Comet myself for a time, but it seems it, like Bit Lord, tend to screw up the trackers and also allow users to leech like little bastards.

Offline psyren

• Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной...
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 01:37:15 pm »
BitComet reports wrong stats to other peers as well as the tracker, and does not share well.

Hold Nothing: If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your ancestor, kill your ancestor. Free of everything, bound by nothing, live your life as it is.
Click here if you can't play h264 encodes

Offline ett

• godspoken
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 02:15:28 pm »
I uploaded 1TB to the box with so can really say it doesn´t share well.

[Who are you people?! Where is everyone?!]

Offline Alve

• haibane
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:58:03 pm »
BitComet reports wrong stats to other peers as well as the tracker, and does not share well.

I'm not so good as ett, but only problem with seeding which I have with version 0.70  is while I'm downloading something else - usually it's not willing to use remaining upload capacity for seed. Ok, other clients could be really better.

But I really doubt about wrong reporting, it was true but it should be already fixed for some time. I'm not bittorent expert but what is reported to user seems fine and if it really uses some dirty tricks to priorize itself, which I doubt because it's serious client and not last hacker's attempt, at least noone is really harmed at the end if user behaves as he should.

Anyway, I hope you ban also BitComet seeders when you are downloading something, Psychiclord. Just to keep our sharing relations balanced, because I seed for everyone  ::)

If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.

Offline Phrostay

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:45 pm »
On the mac side. Probably Transmission was the best client I have used so far apart from some trackers banning it's usage (boxtorrents has no problems), Bitrocket was pretty good too but thats because it's beta software! The speed dropped to zero after a few hours and was rather buggy. Azureus Vuze has unfortunately been the only client that supports all trackers private tags. Hopefully Transmission will fix this up because uTorrent is taking it's sweet time to come to *nix and OS X natively.

Offline boxer4

• Yes, EJ205
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:41 pm »
A more serious question with uTorrent being closed source (http://www.slyck.com/story1566_BitTorrent_Addresses_Closed_Source_Issues) - wonder if this is going to fragment the torrent world or will Azureus or Ktorrent become the new "gold standard"...

Even if uTorrent API ends up with even better client-based secure authentication that everyone complains about "why isn't my stats updating"?  I wonder if that can be legally back-ported into older clients?

I use rtorrent.  So far I've yet to see one as good as rtorrent for Linux as everyone thinks GUIs are mandatory :-(

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 05:33:44 pm »
A comparison chart of bittorrent clients is available at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent_client   

Offline TorturdChaos

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »
i like uTorrents, and as long as you stay with anything that is version 1.6.x or earlier your fine.

i used to run Azurase, but i like to leave my downloads on when im not using the internet (just playing singler playeer on games and such) but it eat so much memory that i couldnt do a whole lot while it was running.

uTorrents is so damn light weight its the best one i have tired.

Just remember,  before you criticize someone, walk a mile in there shoes.  That way you are a mile away and have their shoes. :P

Offline boxer4

• Yes, EJ205
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 04:50:54 pm »
I guess I have a question with the libtorrent poll option ... it's a library and kind of hard to use it by itself as it has no user interface...

http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libtorrent/projects.html

Then there's the other case, where rtorrent uses libtorrent, but its own version...
 ???

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »
I dont like bitcomet since that client churns superseeders (like me) in order to fool the superseeding client into uploading more pieces to bitcomet.    Usually, when I see bitcomet, I temp ban the IP from my seeding in order to help the swarm with superseeding.