Author Topic: Best Bitorrent Client?  (Read 103285 times)

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
Re: What's the best bittorrent client?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 11:27:01 pm »
If you use Azureus you can get the stuffer plugin and set it to automatically ban bitcomet/bitlord when you are superseeding, there are also options for seeding and downloading.

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:39 am »
Yes, I have the plugin but rarely use it.    The problem is that there are good bitcomet users and I end up having to manually pick which ones suck.   

Offline NonDeity

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 03:17:34 am »
I use Azureus 2.5(?) and I agree with everyone that it uses too much memory. The sad thing is that Azurues began as an open source project and as with everyone else, I also dislike the path it's heading for, such as becoming Vuze or Azureus 3 and going for commercialization.

The ideology for GPL licences is that it is open source, but not necessarily free... but on the other hand, open sourced software can be dissected and reverse-engineered and be rewritten and re-released as another GPL license and maybe "BE free."

I think everyone has heard of Linksys' WRT54G series routers, I believe the first routers to use the Linux kernel, making it open source, but not necessarily free.

Anyways, when Azurues is fully commercialized, it's time to switch to another client...
T3h person that can't type "the" properly.

Offline Sosseres

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 06:14:43 am »
Azureus 3.0.2... looks fine from the time I've used it. Same old stuff. Have a feeling vuze and it will take separate paths sometime in the future...

Offline NonDeity

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 01:05:41 am »
Does the newest Azureus hog less RAM/leak less than the previous one?

If so, I'll consider switching.
T3h person that can't type "the" properly.

Offline Sosseres

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 10:37:25 am »
Its currently running at ~125 MB Mem Usage in Windows Task Manager for me, I don't notice any negative performance due to that...

Offline sloggerK

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 10:56:17 am »
Well, I have to say that I think deluge is the best bit torrent client  (http://www.deluge-torrent.org/)
Right now it's linux only, but it's open source, I think it has almost all the features of uTorrent, and seems to work pretty well.
It's my favorite torrent client for sure. Of course I haven't used windows on my laptop in over a year, and back then I think I used azureus, which has always seemed kinda bloated and slow.
This.

Offline ZenOfBelan

• angelheaded hipster
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 12:52:19 am »
Well, I have to say that I think deluge is the best bit torrent client  (http://www.deluge-torrent.org/)
Right now it's linux only, but it's open source, I think it has almost all the features of uTorrent, and seems to work pretty well.
It's my favorite torrent client for sure. Of course I haven't used windows on my laptop in over a year, and back then I think I used azureus, which has always seemed kinda bloated and slow.

I use deluge, too ... it's nice, but it's not great.  There are some stability problems with some of the included plugins, such as "torrent pieces", however.  If I enable that, it seg-faults immediately.  It does have the advantage of simplicity over azureus, though.  Overall I'd have to say it's my favorite Linux client.
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night  --Ginsberg
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.  --Buddha

micronicos

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 02:41:49 pm »
Thought I'd give Azureus a plug - I've used it for years & always loved the control it gives & its many superb plugins, safepeer being tops with a well-updated blocklist currently at over 196,000 blocked IPs.  Also excellent bad data blocker with variable limits (defaults are fine). Stops those pesky fakers who keep resending bad blocks.

Why I'm pushing it now is that my D.m..oid torrents (trackerless for 3 days now) have been downloding just fine via DHT.

I was a bit nervous about updating to Azureus V3 since they went commercial but you can set the classic advance interface & ignore the commercial interface & it appears still to be open-source, see http://www.afterdawn.com/software/source_codes/azureus_bittorrent_client.cfm although the Az site itself doesn't have source-code downloads anymore.  Since they're still on SourceForge I believe they are still open-source. Presumably the Vuze DRM system (files for rent or sale) are not part of the Azureus code which is 'just' a transport system to get them.

It DOES need a well-specced machine, currently I'm downloading 3 torrents and it's using 8% CPU & 250MB memory - that's cool on my Athlon dual-core with 2GB RAM though.

If you need a 'lite' client this is not it. If you need the finest control & best protection - get it.

NM

Offline Lordy

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 06:10:58 am »
transmission :o

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 11:14:13 am »

They are working on the Windows version for release sometime after 0.5.5 comes out as described at:  http://deluge-torrent.org/2007/09/04/deluge-on-windows/ 

Offline ZenOfBelan

• angelheaded hipster
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 07:02:05 am »

They are working on the Windows version for release sometime after 0.5.5 comes out as described at:  http://deluge-torrent.org/2007/09/04/deluge-on-windows/ 

I upgraded to deluge 0.5.5 today. It seems like they've worked out some of the stability issues, yay!  It doesn't segfault immediately when you turn on "torrent pieces".
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night  --Ginsberg
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.  --Buddha

Offline lattyware

• Free Tech Support Since '92.
    • Lattyware
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:24 pm »
For those foolish enough to run windows, uTorrent does it. Deluge for gnome, or kTorrent for KDE. uTorrent under wine is also OK, but I prefer to use something native.
--Latty

Offline darmok

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:08 pm »
With 73% ppl voting for ĀµTorrent... I suppose we're mostly fools around here.

I voted for Āµtorrent too, even though i only switched over from Azureus two days ago.

Azureus was hogging too much cpu and now that I've started working on a few projects at home I couldn't make do with it. Once i get a new pc though, I'll turn my current system into a headless Azureus xubuntu box. I love the hundreds of options that azureus offers. I just like it when i'm able to tweak every single thing to the way i want :D

Offline survient

• The grass is greener under the comet's light
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 01:41:00 am »
Azureus kicks ass. I've been able to sync my dual boot system so azureus automatically updates whether I boot to windows or ubuntu, plus it downloads better than any client I've used. It uses a little more memory than other clients, but to be honest, I find firefox to be the memory eater moreso than azureus. Besides, with a simple config file edit, you can put Azureus on a diet and limit it's memory usage, without limiting it's functionality.
"The only thing that is definite is that nothing is definite"   ~anonymous

Offline sloggerK

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 12:43:25 am »
transmission :o

I like transmission, too. It's a lot like Deluge, but simpler, and seems to work a little more consistently at the the moment. I wish it supported importing blocklists like deluge, though.
This.

Offline Baka Tsuchiro

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 04:53:18 pm »
utorrent ftw

Offline Semnae

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 07:09:43 am »
It's been a while, I've reset and updated the poll.  I have personally connected to each of these clients as a peer, except for Deluge, which was added by request.  I want to keep this poll up to date with clients people actually use, so if it doesn't get any votes, I might remove it later.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:04:30 am by Semnae »

Offline NaRu

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 07:12:56 am »
Im still an utorrent user and will keep on using it

Offline survient

• The grass is greener under the comet's light
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 06:01:29 am »
Azureus Ono's plugin actually has been useful for me, I've gotten 20 people located near me with good upload speeds that are my preferred peers. also clients should enable encryption with fallback by default, or prompt you in the wizard about it, too many people have it turned off.
"The only thing that is definite is that nothing is definite"   ~anonymous