Author Topic: Best Bitorrent Client?  (Read 103094 times)

Offline phunixid

Re: Best Bitorrent Client?
« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »
@pixymisa

that's one thing I dont like from qbittorrent
but other than that I quite like qbittorrent for it's simplicity and lightweight resources

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #401 on: August 02, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »
More than 2 years after voting on this, I am back.
I voted vuze at that time, switched to utorrent at the end of 2012, started running deluge along with it in the middle of 2013, dropped utorrent a couple of months since I didn't have to seed 100+ torrents anymore(which was the reason I picked it up) and now I am again trying to choose between deluge and vuze.
Here is what I think about both of them
Vuze: I need only for downloading, not everything else that comes along with it. Using 100mb of ram with 2 torrents is stupid. Force updating is shit and forcing me more when I don't want to is even worse. Also, sucks from downloading from only 1 seeder despite it being a gbit seedbox in France. Only thing working for it is the ability to kick+ban the peer.

Deluge: 40mb of ram with 40 torrents is okay, and that's the max I am going to do. Can download at max speed from the same gbit seedbox in France even when it is the only seeder.
Unable to kick seeders is kinda putting off.
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #414933

Offline theraven2

« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »
rtorrent/rutorrent for dat web GUI on linux, qbittorrent on Windows. Open -source all the way, there've been rumours flying around that uTorrent cut some sort of deal with the MPAA, and with no possibility of a source code audit there's no way to be sure.

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2015, 07:26:16 pm »
I'm trying try make myself get used to Deluge. µTorrent is too shit now, and I don't like using an old version anymore. qbittorrent is banned on most sites I use.

I like how Deluge is not filled with a lot of crapware. Plus not being owned by MPAA helps. I'm unsure if the old versions of µTorrent feeds any data to them however.

I got a couple of gripes so far:

- I can't stop torrents? I have to pause them and then remove them? But if I just pause them are the torrents going to stop properly with relaying information to the server?
- I can't use my mouse to select more than one torrent? I can just use CTRL+A, but it just seems so limited that you can't just select with your mouse.
- I can't open files from inside the torrent client?

The UI is very sleek and pretty however so I got that going for me which is nice.

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:08 pm »
About Vuze
Force updating is shit and forcing me more when I don't want to is even worse. Also, sucks from downloading from only 1 seeder despite it being a gbit seedbox in France.
What do you mean, force updating? If you mean version updates, they are not forced... I get prompted to update or cancel. And you can disable that check for update at startup in the options (Interface\Start).
As for DL/UL speeds, I've never had any issues with Azureus performance there (prefer to call it that, as using the Classic UI is the only sensible way to go). If there's a strong uploader, I've no problem to DL up to the 3.5MB/sec I've capped it to, or to max my UL when seeding.
Feel free to dislike it for any other reasons, but I don't think the ones above are valid  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:11:03 am by ConsiderPhlebas »

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »
Poll updated and reset by request.

Offline buchno

« Reply #406 on: January 17, 2015, 02:20:34 am »
Currently rtorrent, but this issue is a bit annoying.

Edit: Use Transmission to offload the troublesome torrents, but its interface is pretty lacking.
Edit2: transmission-daemon with transmission-remote-gui seems quite good, though. Might even switch...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:50:41 pm by buchno »

Offline pixymisa

« Reply #407 on: January 18, 2015, 04:47:50 am »
Now using µTorrent 3.4.2 build 35141 but not here and do not ask them about it.  There are even some trackers that do not allow any version of µTorrent above 1.85.  So I keep multiple versions of µTorrent installed for compatibility with trackers.

I just had to see if there were improvements because I started to have problems starting and stopping µTorrent once I started seeding over 1,000 torrents.  I look at other clients but the ones I tested did not have sufficient support for labels or were more trouble some to use.

I am currently seeding 2,947 torrents and expect to exceed 3,000 soon.  One of the things I noticed is that the newer version handles the larger number of torrents smoothly on Windows.  It was able to shut everything down cleanly.  With the earlier version, the program would not detach itself from memory after exiting uTorrent.  It would remain in memory indefinitely.  When I rebooted and restarted the older version, it behaved as if I had rebooted while it was running and went on checking all recently downloaded torrents that it failed to stopped.  With the newer version, all the torrents were stopped properly so there was no rechecking.  That is a big plus for me. 

Offline bork

• Huh ?
« Reply #408 on: March 06, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »
another no for uTorrent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9CTorrent#Cryptocoin_Miner

if you see a program called epicscale,  this were it came from.

Offline mikezilla2

« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #410 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:31 pm »
Ha, I came here for the same reason xD
Seriously,people, uninstall utorrent already.
μTorrent 3.4.2 Build 28913 silently installs Epic Scale, against user consent
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:30:07 pm by Krudda »

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #411 on: March 08, 2015, 11:19:05 pm »
I just use Utorrent v2.2.1, I have never had problems with it.

Offline Tornado15550

« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:15 am »
I'm running the latest uTorrent and I don't have any crapware installed. People just rush through the installation screen and then wonder why some random software has been installed on their computer. Multiple news sources tested the posters claims about EpicScale being installed and none of them found it on their systems.

Offline pixymisa

« Reply #413 on: April 23, 2015, 05:43:36 pm »
I'm running the latest uTorrent and I don't have any crapware installed. People just rush through the installation screen and then wonder why some random software has been installed on their computer. Multiple news sources tested the posters claims about EpicScale being installed and none of them found it on their systems.

Oh!  Like driving a car blindfolded.  Not smart.  Still, they could be more careful who they partner with because some people will continue to drive blindfolded.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #414 on: April 23, 2015, 11:05:19 pm »

Oh!  Like driving a car blindfolded.  Not smart.  Still, they could be more careful who they partner with because some people will continue to drive blindfolded.
Read the article...
The program installs even if you say no to it. Its a bug and they wouldn't even admit it.

Offline pixymisa

« Reply #415 on: April 24, 2015, 01:08:58 am »

Read the article...
The program installs even if you say no to it. Its a bug and they wouldn't even admit it.

I already did.  Go to the very end and one of the conclusion is...

So either the users are collectively mistaken...

Simple as that.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2015, 01:16:21 am »
That article was also from before they confirmed it.
I was more saying that people weren't driving blind, it was a bug and users had no control over it. The utorrent forums confirm it did infact exist and it was fixed the next release by utorrent simply removing affiliates with that software. Bug not fixed, just avoided.

Offline sneaker2

« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2015, 06:56:46 am »
The uTorrent guys admitted it was shipped but not that the install couldn't be avoided. The author of your article obviously didn't reproduce the alleged install without consent.

Offline ichigox55

« Reply #418 on: October 13, 2015, 07:47:54 pm »
Been using qbitorrent for around a year on Arch. It just werks.

Offline Damasceno

« Reply #419 on: December 07, 2015, 08:46:39 pm »
Strange thing, these "bugs" of installing other software even when saying no are pretty common in many packages that need downloaders (cnet-like)...