Author Topic: PLAYBACK FORUM FAQ  (Read 15822 times)

Offline BakaBT

• Admin
  • I am a system user, do not PM me
    • http://bakabt.me/
PLAYBACK FORUM FAQ
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:55:25 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLAYBACK FORUM FAQ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I use to play these Anime files?
We recommend you read this Wiki entry:Windows Video Playback
or
Linux Video Playback
or
Mac Video Playback

My PC can't play h264 encodes. Help!
Visit this thread for some fixes: h264 Playback Help

Get your graphics card to take the load off your CPU in h264 decoding
How to get your PureVideo/UVD supporting graphics card to do h264 decoding

How to get MPC's built in sub renderer to show subtitles

HOW TO CONVERT X TO Y

Burn .mkv/.ogm-files to a DVDr
Join .avi-files

CODECS AND CONTAINERS

Containers and codecs – what is the difference?
Containers.
Codecs.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

What do I need in order to play these files?

Legend:
High-end --- 3GHz or higher maximum clock speed on Intel Core 2/Athlon II/Phenom architecture
Mid-end --- 2GHz or higher maximum clock speed on Intel Core 2/Athlon II/Phenom architecture
Low-end -- 1.2GHz or higher maximum clock speed on Intel Atom/Core 2 Mobile low-voltage/Athlon architecture
High-bitrate --- More than 4Mbps

High-bitrate 1080p with CPU-intensive karaoke effects
  • High-end dual-core with hardware-assisted decoding
  • 2GHz quad-core with hardware-assisted decoding

High-bitrate 1080p
  • High-end dual-core (software-only)
  • Mid-end quad-core (software-only)
  • Low-end dual-core (Intel Atom) with hardware-assisted decoding

Moderate-bitrate 1080p, high-bitrate 720p
  • Mid-end dual-core (software-only)
  • Low-end single-core (Intel Atom) with hardware-assisted decoding
  • High-end single-core (software-only) [e.g. 3GHz Pentium 3 or equivalent]

Moderate-bitrate 720p, high-bitrate SD
  • Low-end dual-core (software-only)
  • Mid-end single-core (software-only) [Pentium 3 or equivalent]

Disclaimers:
  • Your mileage may vary; this is not to be taken as a definitive guide.
  • There are too many factors affecting playback to be comprehensively covered, so this guide assumes you are already using an efficient decoder, and are viewing the video in fullscreen (non-windowed) mode in an uncluttered OS environment.
  • In addition, sane media player configs are assumed, and we take for granted that the video file is not encoded by an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:05:00 am by Duki3003 »
I am a system user, do not PM me

Offline Panarchy

Re: PLAYBACK FORUM FAQ
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:39:36 pm »
Thanks

Missing one thing though

Conversion of MKV to AVI

Offline Istra

• I Know beta - Japanese Language and Social Networking Site
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:17 am »
This looks like something that is meant to be sticky at the top of the forum rather than at the bottom of the page.

Also, when I try to follow the link: [Help]Recommended Media Players
I get a page that tells me that the page is missing or off limits.

Offline Arveene

• Former Staff
  • Sora <3
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:07 am »
I believe the recommended video players would be the ones included with the CCCP release, ZoomPlayer and MPC Classic HC.

You can also find a good list of players on CCCP's wiki page

Also the main wiki page has links to some common players
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:41:12 am by Sashamaru »
AniDB Userpage | MAL (Not updated as often)

Offline Istra

• I Know beta - Japanese Language and Social Networking Site
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:21:44 am »
Ok, Arveene.. that looks like a good place to start.. Thank you

Offline Panarchy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:15 am »
Thanks

Missing one thing though

Conversion of MKV to AVI

Offline creedo

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
Just wanted to say nice job to the people who made the various faqs. I was having issues with media player classic not handling
mkv's correctly (720p+ ran too slow, and multilanguage ones crashes). One of the guides suggested a mod called Media Player Classic Home Cinema and it works beautifully.

Panarchy: I don't think that's missing, it's just that this is about how to play files, not how to convert them.
Most people feel the urge to convert because they're having trouble with playing something, maybe that's you too?
Otherwise there'd be no reason to convert, conversion can never improve video quality and often will make it worse.
Also, avi is an outdated format that doesn't have built-in support for important stuff like multiple language tracks and software subtitles... the kind of stuff that's important in anime. That's why half the stuff on here is mkv.

If you're just having trouble with mkv, read the FAQ, get the version of media player classic I suggested plus FFDshow, and you should be able to play mkv's, mp4s, and everything else nicely.

If you're still determined to convert for some reason, there's a pretty simple program called "super" that works well.
http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

Offline Panarchy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:49:19 am »
Just wanted to say nice job to the people who made the various faqs. I was having issues with media player classic not handling
mkv's correctly (720p+ ran too slow, and multilanguage ones crashes). One of the guides suggested a mod called Media Player Classic Home Cinema and it works beautifully.

Most people feel the urge to convert because they're having trouble with playing something, maybe that's you too?
Otherwise there'd be no reason to convert, conversion can never improve video quality and often will make it worse.
Also, avi is an outdated format that doesn't have built-in support for important stuff like multiple language tracks and software subtitles... the kind of stuff that's important in anime. That's why half the stuff on here is mkv.

If you're just having trouble with mkv, read the FAQ, get the version of media player classic I suggested plus FFDshow, and you should be able to play mkv's, mp4s, and everything else nicely.

If you're still determined to convert for some reason, there's a pretty simple program called "super" that works well.
http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

If you're looking to view videos straight from a liveCD with a nice GUI try Super Ubuntu (I am currently modding it for hacking)

Panarchy: I don't think that's missing, it's just that this is about how to play files, not how to convert them.
But that's what I am saying! I need to play them on my TV!!! But to get the right aspect ratio, (so that subtitles aren't off the screen... and so it looks pretty much how it would on my comp), I need to use the DivX Certified feature on my DVD Player.

Which basically means that I need the anime I download to either be in AVI format or DivX format. Either that, or for me to convert them from what they are; mp4 or mkv; to AVI or DivX.

Thanks though for the SUPER recommendation! Have tried in the past.... didn't work for me.

Please recommend something else.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Offline creedo

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 05:31:36 pm »
Hrm, ok, I can recommend another method that works well for me.

Get virtualdubmod:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65889

It's a version of virtualdub that can handle .mpg and .mkv files.
If you haven't worked with virtualdub, it's one of the main programs for converting
something to divx (or some other) AVI.

So, you open your mkv file. Do video --> compression --> choose divx with your desired settings.
Then do streams --> stream list --> right click on the audio track listed there --> full processing mode --> right click again --> compression. Choose your favorite audio compression and settings.

[OPTIONAL]: If your file needs to be cropped to a certain size or aspect ratio, do ctrl+F to get to the filters.
Then do add --> choose "resize" from the list --> put in the new size settings and click ok, then ok to the filters box.

Finally, do file --> save as --> and you can save as an AVI.

If it gives errors or crashes... there is one more thing to try. It may or may not work depending on the mkv file.
It forces virtualdubmod to process the file in a different way that might works better.
You must have FFDshow installed. There are different versions of it but this is a safe bet: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ffdshow-tryout/ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe

Now create a text file. Copy and paste this into it:
directshowsource("path-to-your\file.mkv")
example: directshowsource("C:\Dot Hack Sign 1-28+Extras\[V-A]_hack_SIGN_-_10_[2898C734].mkv")

Save the file, close it, and rename it to whatever.avs

Now go back to virtualdubmod, open that .avs file you created. It should think for a second and then open the video file.
If you don't get any errors here, you're home free. Now just do all the steps above for changing compression settings, then file -> save as AVI, and it should work.

Good luck!

Offline criver

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
There should be probably some info added about other devices - such as iPads and android tablets...
For android tablets (I have a Zenithink C91) I use Mobo Player (plays mkv fine) - but it can't show the ass subtitles - however with mkvSubExtractor they can be extracted and then MoboPlayer can play the video with subtitles. MX Video Player can show ass subtitles, but it is a little slow on my tablet (cortex a9 800mhz CPU, 512RAM, GPU: Malli 400)

Here there's already a topic on this - http://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=33118.0 - I think it would be good to include it in the playback forum faq.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:10:26 pm by criver »