Author Topic: Does Sex Deprivation Lead to Depression?  (Read 13374 times)

Offline Semnae

• Biologist
Re: Does Sex Deprivation Lead to Depression?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
sex is just like an air that is not really important until you're not getting some

I seem to recall Dr. Phil saying something very similar to that.

Offline zepolleon

• CHOMP!~
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 12:11:26 AM »
It won't lead to depression if you have a good hobby of some sort (aside from sex and masturbation of course).

Terminologies.
Remember to use the spoiler tag.

Offline limitedslip

• meh, forum....
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 02:20:54 AM »
I think there's an element everyone is missing. Would it not lead to depression if it was something that you strive for? A friend of mine in the army seems to have this goal to have sex with as many women as possible, and it seems the longer break he has between women, the more irritated and somewhat depressed he gets. He gets irritated at me a lot of the time when I go longer than 2 months without having sex because it seems like something he can't do. But then again, I am a full time student with his own side business and builds motorcycles and cars in his spare time, my mind is always busy with something. But my friend just watches TV, hits on girls, and goes to work (where he hits on girls).

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews[/u

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 05:35:50 AM »
I think there's an element everyone is missing. Would it not lead to depression if it was something that you strive for? A friend of mine in the army seems to have this goal to have sex with as many women as possible, and it seems the longer break he has between women, the more irritated and somewhat depressed he gets. He gets irritated at me a lot of the time when I go longer than 2 months without having sex because it seems like something he can't do. But then again, I am a full time student with his own side business and builds motorcycles and cars in his spare time, my mind is always busy with something. But my friend just watches TV, hits on girls, and goes to work (where he hits on girls).
lol

well Im also workign and shit and i dont have all the time in the world to go hit on some girls. . .so yeah there were some times alone . . .yes. . . if youre busy with other things i guess you wont get depressed at all. when our human "spring" comes . . .ahhh you need to get laid. . .
ahem
they say "en tiempo de guerra cualquier hoyo es trinchera"
(in times of war, any hole is a bunker)

and i have this really horny friend he said:

"dude you have to do it with all kinds of girls. . .
the hot ones because they are hot, and the ugly ones because youre angry"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:38:08 AM by GoGeTa006 »

Offline sloggerK

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:51 AM »
I think relationship deprivation will. (IE, not enough human contact.)
This.

Offline zoidchan

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
i'd think that deprivation of sex leads to frustration only. but when you let deprivation of sex be more than what it is, say like it's an indicator that you are a lifeless moron who will never get to touch a girl, THAT might lead to depression.

Offline zepolleon

• CHOMP!~
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »
This might sound a bit corny, but we still have to think that sex is just another, if not the ultimate, expression of love, and not meant as a replacement for such feelings. If you get depressed because of sex deprivation, then something is terribly wrong with your relationship.

Terminologies.

Offline RecJoe

• sees all.
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:35 AM »
This might sound a bit corny, but we still have to think that sex is just another, if not the ultimate, expression of love, and not meant as a replacement for such feelings. If you get depressed because of sex deprivation, then something is terribly wrong with your relationship.
Well said. <Insert claps>

-RecJoe.
Sig removed for being oversized.

Offline HotPie

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
It most surely does.

Why do we have to think that?

Let me ask you, do you "feel" something when you masturbate? No, I'm not talking about an orgasm, I'm talking about emotionally.  Sex is the same thing; you don't need any emotional connection to fuck someone, you generally just need to be attracted to them, and then pleasure each other.

Don't get me wrong, sex COMPLIMENTS love very well, meaning that the strong emotional connection you have towards someone (love) can feed off your sex and make it even more pleasant, but to the point where sex is merely the ultimate expression of love?

No.  Well maybe for you, but if that's the case, I pity you.

Besides, even by your own logic, if sex is the ultimate form of love, and you're currently experiencing sex deprivation, then your partner isn't expressing his "ultimate love" towards you, is he/she? So yes, I guess there is something terribly wrong with your relationship.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:47:45 PM by HotPie »

Offline zepolleon

• CHOMP!~
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 01:39:19 AM »

And I'm not talking about your casual, lets-get-someone-and-get-going sex. I'm talking about relationships here.

Then again, that's based on personal experiences; I'm no Dr. Phil (should have said that earlier).

Terminologies.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 01:51:40 AM »
I'll side with zepolleon here (I think) in that I think when had, sex should have some sort of meaning behind it (as in a relationship). Sex without love is rather animalistic and really not all that appealing, at least to me.

I don't know if I should have any say in the matter, though, simply because I've never actually had it before. That said, I don't seem to be depressed right now and haven't really been depressed since the day I was born, so shouldn't that prove that sex deprivation doesn't cause depression, but rather love depravation does?

Offline Peccato

• Lover of Box Girls
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »
In my case no sex = sad.  But I don't take no for an answer if I want it.  I just have to figure out how to stop making out with my girlfriends when I get hammered.  I did it with one of the girls I worked with at a bar because she was looking all sexy librarian like with her glasses and messy up do.

My mom hasn't had sex since she divorced my dad over 9 years ago and she seems pretty miserable.  I think it really just depends on the person really. 

Are we just talking about intercourse or are we also excluding oral, heavy petting, and masturbation?

*~*The hawtest thing around*~*

Offline relic2279

• Box Fansubs
  • レーザービーム
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »
In my case no sex = sad.  But I don't take no for an answer if I want it.  I just have to figure out how to stop making out with my girlfriends when I get hammered.  I did it with one of the girls I worked with at a bar because she was looking all sexy librarian like with her glasses and messy up do.

Are we just talking about intercourse or are we also excluding oral, heavy petting, and masturbation?

wat

You are an internet superhero.

~R

Offline Bendery

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 05:44:28 AM »
I'm going to go with that there is no study to directly link lack of sex to depression, but there are plenty of studies that link depression to sex addiction. Meaning that sex is most likely not the solution for your depression.

I think the only thing sex deprivation leads to is a sore wrist

Offline c614h2

• The cake is a lie
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 07:11:39 AM »
http://www.heritage.org/research/abstinence/cda0304.cfm
"Sexually Active Teenagers Are More Likely to Be Depressed and to Attempt Suicide"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070523113756.htm
"Teen Sex And Depression Study Finds Most Teens' Mental Health Unaffected By Nonmarital Sex"

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/08/cz_af_1008health.html
"...A 2002 study of 293 women ... reported that sexually active participants whose male partners did not use condoms were less subject to depression than those whose partners did. One theory of causality: Prostoglandin, a hormone found only in semen, may be absorbed in the female genital tract, thus modulating female hormones."

(okay, now THAT is too much information)

There seem to be a few studies about women and lots about teens. Not so much about males. Also, did you answer about what exactly you mean by sex?

Offline callura

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
lack of sex has nothing to do with depression... maybe frustration.
it's just as bad for gals as it is for blokes.
endorphins are the shit , but the thing is that even eating chocolate is a good way of releasing them.
there are too many variables to make a proper survey. age, average number of fucks per month, gender, hours worked per week, average duration of a decent fuck.
imho sex did nothing to my depression. xanax did.
maybe being depressed leads to a bad sex life just because you're not in the mood like you usually were though I don't see the vice-versa here. ;\
lrnu V'z n puvpx qrny jvgu vg

Offline Myplague797

• Light me up that Red.
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
Sex is a natural thing. It complements love and can be used for simple pleasure. But, yes, sex can lead to depression through other reasons.
[Sig removed for being oversized, not to mention hideous]

Offline EclipseSin

• Anime is like crack for normal people.
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
I don't know about depression in itself, but i know being Bipolar increases your sex drive >.>

Offline Myplague797

• Light me up that Red.
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
I don't know about depression in itself, but i know being Bipolar increases your sex drive >.>

What? Who told you that? I'm Bipolar and have nothing like that.
[Sig removed for being oversized, not to mention hideous]

Offline EclipseSin

• Anime is like crack for normal people.
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
My old therapist and alot of books i've read about bipolar, since so am I. But their a few different types of bipolar as well