Author Topic: Avatar: The Last Air Bender  (Read 7692 times)

Offline ant900

• Box Fansubs
  • "Saito! Give me that gun Now!!"
Re: Avatar: The Last Air Bender
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:37 AM »
Am I the only person to had heard, 1 year ago or whatever, about "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (Nickelodeon show), before they announced "Avatar" (blue-skinned people), and was subsequently confused?

I remember reading about the "Avatar movie" and rushing to youtube to watch trailers only to discover these blue-skinned guys, and no mention of the Fire Nation or anything I associated "Avatar" with.

Also, is the font for the word "Avatar" (blue-skinned people) the same font used during the opening sequence of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (Nickelodeon show)?

I heard about them both around the same time (TLB before Avatar), and yes I was also confused for quite a while.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »
Am I the only person to had heard, 1 year ago or whatever, about "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (Nickelodeon show), before they announced "Avatar" (blue-skinned people), and was subsequently confused?

I remember reading about the "Avatar movie" and rushing to youtube to watch trailers only to discover these blue-skinned guys, and no mention of the Fire Nation or anything I associated "Avatar" with.

Also, is the font for the word "Avatar" (blue-skinned people) the same font used during the opening sequence of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (Nickelodeon show)?
i was one of the ones not confused at all because i read about james cameron making avatar and working with some new 3d tech before he was gonna do the battle angel alita flick

Offline pipitugaboy

• Ame futte ji katamaru
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

Oh lol I onced youtubed "avatar" and I saw.. Avatar the movie!
I was like... ZOMG OMG WTF!! O_O
And I went watching it...
Then it was like..
for 12 years... (Me thinking in my head.. Wasn't he frozen for 100 years? O.o)
And then the landscape came and blue people.. And I started to think.. Wait a minute O.o

Quite sad -.-

Offline Takeshi

• Animation whore
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »
Throughout the movie I wondered who had written the script for this movie. Then at the end:

"Written, produced and directed by M.Night Shyamalan".

Me: "Oh, that makes sense then".

Are good writers really that expensive in Hollywood that he felt he needed to do it himself? Why couldn't they have spent money on a proper writer and less on effects?

Imo, the script is really bad, it doesn't explain people's motives at all. Also, it's too short. I am not sure if it would be a better movie if it had lasted an hour longer, but maybe some of the character relations would have seemed more likely and realistic. An hour and 40 min is not much for an entire season of 20 eps lasting for 20-30 min. It should've had LOTR-runtime. And there's a lot of cheap lines which probably is supposed to be funny but fails miserably.

I don't blame the actors, I understand that sometimes you just don't have much to work with due to crappy script and director. And then there's not a lot to hang on to. Can you imagine them being interviewed regarding the roles they're playing? Me neither...

Fuck, what was up with Sokka and that princess? We saw them in like three scenes, and why the hell did he get to protect her if she was so important? A badly written script that makes no sense whatsover.

I mean, an adaptation has a somewhat kind of freedom, and they couldn't include everything that happened in the animation, but at least do a proper job at what you're attempting to create.

The bending was cool though, but also didn't make sense at times, I wondered why Anng didn't just prevent the Fire Benders from using Fire by blowing it out whenever there was Fire nearby, I mean, shit, he did that at some point when he tumbled with Zuko.

I really hope Night can see his own shortcomings in the script, and that he'll just stick to directing, he obviously doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

/rant after watching the movie

Offline donald1

• ☢CAUTION☢
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
first of all, i watched 5 minutes of Avatar the cartoon and changed the channel. imo, it sux....sux like a black hole. it saddens me that some people actually think it's japanese anime. then i heard of the movie, yeah i thought it was gonna be a movie of the cartoon, then found out it was something different. just as stupid though. niether of these things deserve the praise they get. any average anime is thousands of times better than avatar the cartoon+the movie+a sandwich.

frankly, i am embarrassed that Americans have made such a big deal out of either of these things.

if you dont like what i just said, thats too bad lol, flame me in a PM cuz i wont be checking this thread again.

Offline pipitugaboy

• Ame futte ji katamaru
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
first of all, i watched 5 minutes of Avatar the cartoon and changed the channel. imo, it sux....sux like a black hole. it saddens me that some people actually think it's japanese anime. then i heard of the movie, yeah i thought it was gonna be a movie of the cartoon, then found out it was something different. just as stupid though. niether of these things deserve the praise they get. any average anime is thousands of times better than avatar the cartoon+the movie+a sandwich.

frankly, i am embarrassed that Americans have made such a big deal out of either of these things.

if you dont like what i just said, thats too bad lol, flame me in a PM cuz i wont be checking this thread again.

Why flame? It's your opinion and that is what we should respect.
And it's a discusion thread as well..
Tho saying "Too bad for u all I won't check it back".. That is fail imo.

Still got to see this movie tho >_>

Offline darkanubis47

« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2010, 01:44:51 AM »
Really liked the show actually, I didn't expect to.  I was disappointed in the movie though... :'(