Author Topic: Cannot download anything from BakaBT trackers - get "Tracker did not respond"  (Read 4839 times)

Offline guss77

Hi all.

I've got a few torrents managed by BakaBT trackers, off torrent indexing sites like torrentz.eu, and I manage to download anything and the tracker does not respond. After registereding and reading the FAQ and searching the wiki, I'm still not sure if just downloading torrents should be OK or not for anonymous users (there's the bit about torrent pass in the personal settings page, though I'm not sure where to put this).

I'm using Transmission 1.93 which reports "Tracker did not respond" for all torrents hosted on BakaBT. Trying to access a BakaBT tracker directly with the browser always fails with a timeout.

I also tried to access the tracker using a browser from other locations (such as my EC2 server or the neighbor that is using the same ISP) and that seems to work, so my first guess is that my IP is blocked on the torrent servers - is it possible that my IP is blocked because I have tried to download torrents many times without registering or providing passwords? My IP address is 192.115.22.33.

I'm usually good about seeding - I always try for a 2.0 ratio on all torrents, so I don't think that would be an issue here.

Please let me know what I can do to get this working. Thanks.

Offline Slasha

• そんな感じ~
BakaBT allows anonymous leeching. Of course you won't be banned for that.

Edit: Do you use a firewall or something like that? Could be one reason I think.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:25:48 AM by Slasha »

ᴺᴵᴻ

Offline Kyrdua

• I have no idea what i'm doing.
    • Lunatic Red (A member there XD)
BBT does not block IP based on that as far as i know.
I dled bbt torrents that way too and they accepted me months ago and i'm still here.

could be peerblock or other similar software. if you don't use those. then try disabling your antivirus.
(even if you seem to be using linux...) otherwise, could be proxy or yor ISP causing the "connection time out".
 avatar/signature: Touhou | My Links | MyAnimelist

Offline Enzedder

• Former Staff
  • The Cute One
    • Youtube
Its not working because BBT torrents posted on other sites are public keys which expire every month. Meaning that at the beginning of every month BBT changes the public keys on all their torrents. Hence you will need to redownload the public torrent from our site every month as public torrent sites do not swap or update their torrents like that.

[MAL] | Nothing is either good nor bad but thinking makes it so.

Offline guss77

could be peerblock or other similar software. if you don't use those. then try disabling your antivirus.
(even if you seem to be using linux...) otherwise, could be proxy or yor ISP causing the "connection time out".

I don't use peerblock - I'm not even sure what it is or how it can affect me if I'm not using it. Also from the name it sounds to me like this blocks peers while I'm trying to contact the tracker.

I don't use an Antivirus - I'm running Linux so there's no need.

Regarding the ISP, as I've mentioned, I've tried from a neighbor that uses the same ISP and the same connection type (DSL) and from there it works fine. We are under a different IP range because I'm using a static IP, but I don't see how it can be related.

Edit: Do you use a firewall or something like that? Could be one reason I think.

I've tried running with and without firewall and I don't see any difference. Also, as I've mentioned, I've tried from a browser on another computer behind the same IP (using NAT) and I also get the timeout there.

Its not working because BBT torrents posted on other sites are public keys which expire every month.

I've got a new torrent file from bakabt.com, and it looks to have the same hash as the one that I was running before, nonetheless I removed the old torrent and tried the new one - same effect. I don't see how this could be the problem as what I'm seeing is that I can't even get to the bakabt tracker and not that I get rejected.

the interesting thing is that the tracker IP is the same as the website IP, and I can get to the web site just fine - only the tracker port at 2710 is bloked for me, so I don't think its a block on the ISP level. Just for the heck of it I tried to run a service on port 2710 on one of my servers to see if my ISP will block access to it, and it works fine! As I don't believe that my ISP will issue a block for just one port on just one server (targetting BBT's tracker specifically), and there's no firewall issue, and pinging and tracerouting works fine - I have to conclude that there is a block for my IP (or IP range) in the BakaBT firewall. Who can I talk to to get this escalated to someone who knows how the BakaBT firewall is set up?

Offline blubart

i'm pretty much certain we don't have your IP blocked - at least on all the lists i can reach your are on none.
is there anything between your ISP and the computer you use (and the other one you tried it from where it didn't work either) - like a router or something similar?

Offline guss77

i'm pretty much certain we don't have your IP blocked - at least on all the lists i can reach your are on none.
is there anything between your ISP and the computer you use (and the other one you tried it from where it didn't work either) - like a router or something similar?

There's a router (that does the NAT), but it shouldn't block outgoing ports and if it does it apparently only blocks port 2710 on only bakabt.com - which sound unlikely. The computer having problems is also set as the DMZ host for the network, so even if the NAT wouldn't work then the connection should still go through.

So there's nothing that can be done ? :-(

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
Let's get some things straight first.

You joined 10 hours ago. As a member under 7 days old, you cannot access anything added within the past six months. On the public tracker, however, you can.

In Transmission, where you are getting the tracker error message, the URL of the tracker should start with either tracker.bakabt.com:2710/(long string here) or (month).tracker.bakabt.com or something similar. If it contains the month, you are using the public tracker, and if not, you are using the private (on which that rule above applies).

If this is not the issue, best thing would be to try using another version of Transmission or use another client altogether like KTorrent or Deluge (personally I run KTorrent in Ubuntu).

Offline blubart

There's a router (that does the NAT), but it shouldn't block outgoing ports and if it does it apparently only blocks port 2710 on only bakabt.com - which sound unlikely. The computer having problems is also set as the DMZ host for the network, so even if the NAT wouldn't work then the connection should still go through.

So there's nothing that can be done ? :-(
try connecting directly to the net without the router - if the problem still persists from both pcs we can try to look further into it.
but i personally think it's a waste of our time to search for something that is located to 99% somewhere between your ISP and PC.

Offline guss77

Thank you for the explanation.

I'll check the networking as this is probably the issue, and I'll bump this thread if I still think there are issues with BakaBT.