Author Topic: Moving Torrent Files To a New Location - A solution of sorts !!  (Read 4937 times)

Offline ViperMWC

Moving Torrent Files To a New Location - A solution of sorts !!
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
Good day all,

Am in the middle of collating all my Anime from various locations on other hard drives to a new hard drive.
Have had no problems moving the downloaded files and re-directing UTorrent to find them.

Things went awry when I moved the folder containing my completed torrent files.
All the entries on my UTorrent list went to "Can't find torrent file" !!
Despite putting the folder back where it came from, I had to run a "Force Recheck" on all the entries.

Rather bemused here as I can't seem to find anything on this in the WIKI,

So my question is, how do I move that folder with the completed torrent files in to another location, and keep my torrents unharmed and seeding as before.

It could be that I've missed something simple, but I really dont fancy running a Force Recheck on 80+ torrents again, so I'm doing nothing till I hear if anyone here can offer some assistance.

Utorrent ver 2.2.1 build 25203

Directories are set in preferences to save torrent files to my download folder, then when complete to move them to completed torrent folder on another hard drive.
Changing this to the new location I tried for the completed torrent files had no effect on the Cant find torrent errors.

Best Wishes,
MWC
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:44:30 PM by ViperMWC »

Offline Mirgond

• Play Asia Affiliate Site
Re: Moving Torrent Files To a New Location
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
Move the folder, change the settings to the new folder, Force Recheck?

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
Most clients should allow you to move the files. I'm not certain about uTorrent, but it's such a basic feature that I would think that uTorrent supports it. Try right-clicking on a torrent and looking for "move data" or something along those lines.

Offline Mirgond

• Play Asia Affiliate Site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
Nah, he doesn't talk about the data, he talks about the .torrent files.

Offline ViperMWC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
Nah, he doesn't talk about the data, he talks about the .torrent files.

Exactly Mirgond !! Thanks for all who have looked in.

Downloaded files all moved with no problems, just want to know why moving the .torrent files themselves caused the errors to appear, can see nothing in uTorrent specific to moving .torrent files and assumed it wasn't going to be a problem. It was !!
Unfortunenatly all the posts on the uTorrent forum seem to cover the download file movement. Perhaps someone could explain the connection between the .Torrent file itself and what it's telling uTorrent ??

MWC

Had success here !!

Using some 'creative' wording in Good ol' Google I discovered this link :
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/310286-Utorrent-How-to-move-your-torrents-easily-and-effortlessly

It's a bit heavy, but reading down through it I got a hint that is could be what I was looking for.

This is the BEncode program download link :
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306

To prevent a disaster I stopped all the torrent entries in uTorrent, then exited the program.

The .dat files you are looking for are here :
Users\*yournameorwhateveryouhavehere*\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent
Back them up !! [Just copy them somewhere safe so if you NEED to, you can put them back]

resume.dat seems to be the important one. I did look at the other .dat files but none had any info in them that had anything to do with the .torrent files.

Run the BEncode program.
Open the resume.dat file.

What I found in my resume.dat were entries for ALL the .Torrent files I had.
I immediately spotted that a whole slew of them were pointing to the original folder [mine was on drive E:]
The rest of the entries were pointing at the new folder [on drive H:]

Pondered for a moment while I worked out how to edit the entries, slow, but easy enough to do as you can copy/paste if you need to.
Edited all the incorrect entries, saved the resume.dat file.

Fingers Crossed at this point !!

Opened my original .torrent folder and moved one of the .torrent files out to the desktop, then opened up uTorrent, the entry there was still Ok, started it up and the seeding was Ok.
Did this with a couple of other .Torrent files just to be sure, then moved the whole original folder out to the desktop so there was NO link to the original folder position.

Opened up uTorrent again, all Ok in there, fired up ALL the torrents and no ERRORS !!

So for me this did the trick.
There might be alternate ways to do this but, this succeeded for me.
A bit of care and paying attention to what you are doing is advised.

MWC

Duki3003 edit: Don't double post.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:17:35 PM by Duki3003 »