Author Topic: Please advice me some anime like Kaiji or DeathNote  (Read 1485 times)

Offline FlyingCarpet

Please advice me some anime like Kaiji or DeathNote
« on: June 21, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
Please do not suggest something like BlackButler, one out, code geas, Elven Lied, Monster, when the Cicadas Cry etc.
What I want to watch is an anime the plot of which is based on intellectual challenge, psychology. A gamble or something else. It must be really deep, realistic, intellectual. Be, not to seem)

Offline Garret02

• Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.
Re: Please advice me some anime like Kaiji or DeathNote
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »
It must be really deep, realistic, intellectual. Be, not to seem)
"Death Note"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Anyways, Akagi, Kaiji 2, Monster (yes, it is rather realistic, intellectual, if you want it to it will be quite deep too).

Offline bangbus

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »
why not add kaiji and death note to the do-not-suggest list while you're at it?

anywayz, the closest thing to kaiji is zero which is an on-going manga, not an anime.

Offline Akaelda

• Nipah!~
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Ergo Proxy was pretty good when I try and compare it to what you seem to be looking for. =>
マット
"Guests are reminded that platform 1 forbids the use of weapons, teleportation and religion."

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
+1 to Akagi, IIRC it's by the same guy as Kaiji, and it's very good. It focuses almost entirely on mahjong though, and goes fairly in-depth, so my advice would be to quickly read up on the rules of Japanese riichi mahjong before watching. The subtitles have lots of notes, and it's fairly easy to pick up details from watching, so you don't need to be an expert to understand what's going on; but a basic familiarity helps.

If you like Akagi, then Legendary Gambler Tetsuya is very similar, so is worth trying. You might also want to consider Hikaru no Go; in some ways the anime itself isn't particularly deep or intellectual, but it spends most of the time focusing on Go matches in great depth, which is a very thoughtful, strategic game with a lot of depth to it; so you might like it (again, might be worth reading up on the rules of Go first - but they're so simple, it's probably not really necessary. Surprisingly simple, in fact, when you consider how deep a game it is).

Offline zherok

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »
If you like Akagi, then Legendary Gambler Tetsuya is very similar, so is worth trying.
The two are similar in setting, but I don't think it really fits the criteria. Tetsuya was mostly about ridiculous and impractical cheating
(click to show/hide)

It probably doesn't help to watch Akagi first, honestly. Tetsuya doesn't compare very well.

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
One Outs
Monster
Akagi
Shion No Ou
Eyeshield 21
Kage No Yojimbo
Shintei Matantei Yakumo
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya

That's all relating these two animes. :)

I happen to love psychological thriller animes. :)
Born to like catgirls.

Staff Edit: Signature removed.
 http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/Rules#Forum_Ava.2FSig_Guidelines

Offline Goldfrapp

• Don't look back, you'r not going that way.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
Ergo Proxy was pretty good when I try and compare it to what you seem to be looking for. =>

Would also recommend this one. Deep plot, very interesting characters, dark, and at times, unpleasant and sad.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent  people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.

Offline Mooglebuddy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »
I'd also recommend Proxy. Also maybe Texnolyze
Anime-Planet.comurl=http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/]anime[/url] | manga | reviews[/ur]