Author Topic: Not really an Interesting question  (Read 1746 times)

Offline bhamwildcat

Not really an Interesting question
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:50 AM »
I am using the latest stable (not beta) BitTorrent. I have Win7 64-bit. Sometimes I'll sit and watch the pieces tab, and watch each block be downloaded. However, sometimes I'll have blocks and sometimes even entire pieces turn orange, and sit still for a while, like this:

I know purple is downloading, green is downloaded, and dark purple is downloading in Endgame mode.
What does the orange mean?
Should I worry about it?
How do I fix it?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:17:53 PM by Chiyachan »

Offline zherok

Re: Interesting question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
A cursory googling suggests "canceled," but the the thread was from a year or so ago, and specifically referred to uTorrent (which might not make a difference.)

Online Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:20 AM »
If your torrent eventually completes, why would you worry about it or attempt to fix it?

As for what it means, does right-clicking the blocks give you an option to view a legend or something?

Offline bhamwildcat

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:54:59 AM »
If your torrent eventually completes, why would you worry about it or attempt to fix it?

As for what it means, does right-clicking the blocks give you an option to view a legend or something?

1. Good point, I guess it's just a quirk, strange things bug me until I figure them out.
2. Right clicking does nothing but select the piece, no menu pop up or anything.

A cursory googling suggests "canceled," but the the thread was from a year or so ago, and specifically referred to uTorrent (which might not make a difference.)
From what I've heard, all BitTorrent is now is a rebadged uTorrent (kinda like an old Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager)(or is it the other way around?). As for the "canceled" designation, why exactly would a block or piece be canceled? Peer lost connection? Dropped packets?

Offline newy

• Staff
  • Yack...Deculture!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »
Why ask here and not in a forum of BitTorrent?

I knew nothing of the outside world. I was just a frog in a well.

Offline bhamwildcat

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Why ask here and not in a forum of BitTorrent?
I honestly didn't think of that. I hope I haven't broken any rules.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
Not really, but you'll probably have better luck asking there.

Offline zherok

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
From what I've heard, all BitTorrent is now is a rebadged uTorrent (kinda like an old Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager)(or is it the other way around?). As for the "canceled" designation, why exactly would a block or piece be canceled? Peer lost connection? Dropped packets?
They're very similar, though I don't know if their color codes would still be the same as they were a year ago.

The thread didn't say what "canceled" meant. I'm guessing dropped or refused, I guess.

Offline ThirteenAz

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
I am using the same program, but mine don't turn orange :O

A quick search in the BitTorrent Help (F1) gave me this :

Blocks is the graphical progress bar for the piece. You'll notice that there are different colors displayed for different blocks. They are as follows:
Dark blue means the data has been downloaded and written to disk.
Medium blue means the data has been downloaded, but remains in the cache in memory, unwritten to disk.
Light blue means the data has been requested from a single peer.
Green means the data has been requested from multiple peers. Blocks only turn green during endgame mode.
White means the data is is available in the swarm, but has not yet been downloaded.

I suppose blue refers to purple in the manual. There isn't any mention of an orange, though. Perhaps the orange you see is actually a light blue displayed differently? :P

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
The colour scheme used by Utorrent (and presumably Bittorrent as well) was changed with version 3.0, and it looks like they haven't updated the manual to match. In the latest version of Utorrent, light grey means the block is available, dark grey means it's been requested from a peer, pale green means it's been downloaded. Orange seems to indicate the piece was cancelled - for example, if the peer you were downloading it from disconnected partway through, or the connection timed out, or whatever. The client just prioritises other pieces first, and attempts to redownload that one later. Purple seems to be equivalent to the green mentioned in the manual (requested from multiple peers).

There's also a dark green which I noticed once at the start of a torrent, but I'm not sure what it means.

Online Al_Sleeper

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
Maybe they are high priority chunks.

Offline Belmakar

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I think dark green means they are already saved to disk (and thus staying there even if your torrent client suddenly dies, due to whatever reason). It would be logical at least, since older versions of µTorrent used this scheme of showing saved chunks as downloaded, but darker.

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I think dark green means they are already saved to disk (and thus staying there even if your torrent client suddenly dies, due to whatever reason). It would be logical at least, since older versions of µTorrent used this scheme of showing saved chunks as downloaded, but darker.

No, this appeared only on the first piece of the torrent to be downloaded, and seemed to be identifying blocks that were currently being downloaded (since they then turned pale green afterwards). I have a feeling it does use the scheme of showing saved blocks as downloaded, but darker as well, but this was a very different shade of green. I'm fairly certain it means something different.

Offline Chiyachan

• Staff
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
Re: Not really an Interesting question
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
Updated the topic title.
You're welcome.
Quote from: Enzedder
I agree that its a lounge but its not a supergay lounge.
'Onest, I'm a super cute gal. Befriend me? ;D