Author Topic: Just Found A GPS Tracking Device In My Car!  (Read 905 times)

Offline Semnae

• Biologist
Just Found A GPS Tracking Device In My Car!
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Car was in for repairs. When I went to pick it up, the mechanics were asking me about a box that had fallen out from under the dash. I was all like, "You're the mechanic, shouldn't you know what it is?" So I went home and did a Google search on the numbers printed on the box. Turns out it's one of these. It's a used car, so I realize odds are nobody is tracking me personally, they just didn't want to lose the car if it were stolen, or maybe someone was tracking a previous owner. Still, it's kind of creepy. I feel like big brother is watching.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:58:16 PM by Semnae »

Offline rathoriel

• Go Blue!
Re: Just Found A GPS Tracking Device In My Car!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
maybe its your soon to be wife keeping track of you so you don't cheat....

[16:59:46] <+xgraphy> youure a fuck troll

Online ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
Well, you live in "Tyler, Texas" so what do you expect...

Offline Semnae

• Biologist
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
Anybody know how these things work? I want to learn how to use it in case my car is ever stolen.

Offline Semnae

• Biologist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Well, you live in "Tyler, Texas" so what do you expect...

Not a particularly famous city, but The Toadies wrote a song about Tyler, Texas. All we are really known for is rapists and Brookshires headquarters. It's pretty much rape central down here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:13 PM by Semnae »

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »

Offline Semnae

• Biologist
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
I found a user manual.

Edit: ...but I don't really understand it at all. Looks like it's written for someone with an extensive knowledge of circuitry and wiring.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:50:04 PM by Semnae »

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »
I bet it's just something a previous owner installed in the car in case it ever got stolen or the owner forgot where he parked his car. I really doubt it's something you have to worry about.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
Heck dude, after watching The Truman Show I thought I was really on a TV show secretly being watched for years. Hell, it's still at the back of my mind sometimes...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:39:24 PM by Tiffanys »

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
I found a user manual.

Edit: ...but I don't really understand it at all. Looks like it's written for someone with an extensive knowledge of circuitry and wiring.
its supposed to be hardwired into your vehicle, and then presumably you get software that goes with that and pay a fee so that you can get the info from the unit

Offline lololitas

• Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
Heck dude, after watching The Truman Show I thought I was really on a TV show secretly being watched for years. Hell, it's still at the back of my mind sometimes...

That's already an acknowledgel illnes called Truman Syndrome^^

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »

That's already an acknowledgel illnes called Truman Syndrome^^

...never to such an extreme.

Offline CVF

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
If you live in a larger urban area and walk around in big public spaces, you are getting not only filmed but also being processed through facial recognition software in many cities these days. If you have a GM vehicle with On Star you can be tracked as well so I wouldn't worry about the big brother part. Odds are that was either in there for security reasons (especially if the car was a rental in its past life) or was installed because a teen was the primary driver.

Offline halfelite

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:52 AM »
I would guess the vehicle in its past life belonged to some sort of company that used it to track company cars. And with the down turn the economy took most likely sold of its assets leaving the unit inside. That is not a typical model someone would use to snoop on a spouse or a child but more for business use.

Online Burkingam

• Love, Science & Dubstep
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »
THE ILLUMINATI!!!

Don't just assume that you are right. Use the tools that are the most likely to make sure that you are right.

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 06:16:11 AM »
Car was in for repairs. When I went to pick it up, the mechanics were asking me about a box that had fallen out from under the dash. I was all like, "You're the mechanic, shouldn't you know what it is?" So I went home and did a Google search on the numbers printed on the box. Turns out it's one of these. It's a used car, so I realize odds are nobody is tracking me personally, they just didn't want to lose the car if it were stolen, or maybe someone was tracking a previous owner. Still, it's kind of creepy. I feel like big brother is watching.

Nah, government onii-san's trackers look a bit different, and are usually attached via powerful magnets under a bumper or something.

But if it's only the government you're worried about, you haven't been paying attention.
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »
Did you buy from Hertz car sales? That would explain things in a nice non-invasive manner.

My question is, does it satellite upload data, or does it have to be downloaded through a hardwire?

But...I say Hulk Smash! the thing.
Timing is everything in comedy!

Offline DarthSpecial

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »
I saw this thread, and I was about to make a wise guy suggestion like, if you're worried about someone watching you, then put it in someone else's car.  Or, better yet, put it in a neighbor's car for a while, so it's still in the right neighborhood and almost the right position at night.  After a few days/weeks, put it in another neighbor's car.  Etc.  But you have a real use for it, if you find out how it works, and your car is ever stolen.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
Did you buy from Hertz car sales? That would explain things in a nice non-invasive manner.

My question is, does it satellite upload data, or does it have to be downloaded through a hardwire?

But...I say Hulk Smash! the thing.
he  or whoever owned it before him prolly got it froma  used car dealership who got it from auction and got a rental or corporate car, if he looked it up on carfax would probably explain it

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
I don't think someone untechnically skilled would have an easy time of breaking into their neighbor's cars and hard wiring a seemingly non-functional tracking device into it for some seemingly obscure reason... @_@