Author Topic: How to downgrade uTorrent. In 4 steps!  (Read 30929 times)

Offline acien

How to downgrade uTorrent. In 4 steps!
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:52:11 AM »
While waiting for a new version to get added to the whitelist, here is a simple guide to downgrade so you can keep torrenting.

Step 1) Find the old version you want to use from http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/ right how as we are waiting for 3.3.1 to be added to the whitelist we will want to get uTorrent 3.3 Build 29677 simply click this link, then the download this version link on the next page.

Step 2) Find the uTorrent folder its found:

XP
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\uTorrent

Vista/Win7/8
C:\Users\[USER]AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

Mac/Linux
Sorry I have no idea but you should be able to find it pretty easy but seeing as how we are working with .exe's this guide doesn't apply to you anyways.

Step 3) Delete the utorrent.exe file in that folder and replace it with the old version file you downloaded.

Step 4) You're done check http://bakabt.me/whitelist.php about one a week to see if you can upgrade your client again.

Offline Southrop

• Staff
Re: How to downgrade uTorrent. In 4 steps!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:18 AM »
Or just turn off auto updating.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »
Er...  JUST replacing the .exe is a recipe for disaster, I'm afraid.

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
What's wrong with un-installing and then re-installing an older version? I don't understand. Why replace exe files?

Just make sure your torrent files and data files are safe, and they should not be affected by an un-install, unless the uTorrent developers have gone bonkers.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:31:55 PM »
Exactly.  I should have been a bit more detailed in my response, I guess ^^' .

Merely replacing the .exe does not replace other files in the install, many/all of which may be completely different from a previous install, and may be of crucial importance to a given install.  This is especially true when downgrading versions.  You are inviting nearly impossible to debug, spurious errors and craziness when you follow this "4-step guide".

Instead of trying this silliness,  simply copy all of the torrents you care to start in the newly-installed version to a new folder from uTorrent's folder in AppData (usually C:\Users\{your username here}\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent; you will need to turn ON "Show hidden files, folders and drives", under the View tab in Folder Options), then install the new version and set uTorrent to auto-add torrents from the specific folder you copied the .torrent files to (under Options>Preferences>Directories).

Important note: If you've moved the file locations for specific torrents, make sure "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" is checked (under Options>Preferences>UI Settings), so you can direct uTorrent to where the file(s) is/are for each of them, otherwise it will start a new version of the torrent with no prompting.  If you don't mind restarting every torrent you've ever downloaded with uTorrent and have only used the same default download location for all of them, you can just copy them all over with no other action required, otherwise remember to copy only those torrents you would like to restart.  I don't recommend adding uTorrent's own torrent backup folder for "auto-add", but it'd probably work that way, as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:51:01 PM by Bozobub »

Offline Van.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »
I have never downgraded uTorrent, but the upgrade by replacing the .exe file has never caused me any problems (starting from version 1.8.2 and up to 2.2.1). It's much faster and easier, especially if you seed a lot of torrents.
And turn off auto updating for uTorrent - the necessary option for all its users  ;)

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »
It's still a terrible idea, and you should not be recommending such a procedure to anyone.  I've had to fix too many installs of various programs (and Windows itself) after similar stunts.  And worse, it's completely avoidable.

Offline Van.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
You may be right in general, but in this particular case (uTorrent install) there is nothing terrible in this idea. If you compare the uTorrent installation file and the file in C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\uTorrent, they will be completely identical. So the whole new version installation procedure is a simple .exe file replacement, nothing else is changed, at least for versions 1.8.x - 2.x. If this has changed for uTorrent 3.x, then maybe this method is no longer acceptable, but then it's just another reason not to use the 3.x version.
Edit:
I don't insist on the correctness of this method, I simply affirm that it's harmless.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:26:10 AM by Van. »

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
In my experience, you don't even need to uninstall first. You literally just install it in the same place as the old one. There's no need for any extra steps, and certainly no need for any manual copying of exe files.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
That's not anywhere near as bad advice, but still pretty bad practice. *shrug* Up to you folks, but there are several good reasons why installing new software directly over an old version is considered a Bad Ideatm, much like copying just the .exe is.

This is not a good practice to encourage in users, especially considering the lion's share of them will not be checking to see if all of the other files in an installation have changed or not.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »
Nevertheless, it's an advantage of small footprint installations.

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
That's not anywhere near as bad advice, but still pretty bad practice. *shrug* Up to you folks, but there are several good reasons why installing new software directly over an old version is considered a Bad Ideatm, much like copying just the .exe is.

This is not a good practice to encourage in users, especially considering the lion's share of them will not be checking to see if all of the other files in an installation have changed or not.

Well, true. For most applications it's not recommended. In the case of utorrent, it is literally just copying files, so there's not really a problem with doing so.

Offline Freakz0rz

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Will I get shot for reviving this tread, because I really feel like posting a comment.

To all those guys that feel like this is BAD (practice/advice), they even promote this/very similar methode on TorrentFreak, which is a mayor torrenting news site if you ask me.
hxxp://torrentfreaknews.blogspot.nl/2013/03/how-to-downgrade-utorrent.html
(Replace the hxxp with http)

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
It's evidently not harmful for uTorrent*, however it IS undeniably bad practice; it's on par with deleting a program and its folder instead of uninstalling it (assuming, of course, it was installed in the 1st place - lol).  While most users know better, new or uninformed users are quite likely to try this with many programs where it is not acceptable, with predictably horrid results.  A similar bad practice is advising users in general to disable UAC, when you have no idea of how computer-literate they are.

How do I know?  Like many computer-literate folks, I occasionally have to fix borked PCs, and these are stunts I've seen people pull, to their (and my) dismay.  Tracking down the cause is also often a serious PITA, because they almost never remember that they did the deed.

Remember, a "practice" is a general behavior; we're referring to a specific case (uTorrent) here.

Edits:
*Note: Even with uTorrent, this can still potentially come back to haunt you, if you had any bad settings, which definitely does happen at times.  One of the best arguments for uninstalling an old version and reinstalling a new one is the fact that, generally - although not always - your settings are reset.  That's the entire reason many installers (for example, those for nVidia drivers) offer an option for a "clean install".

Note 2: You are allowed to place clickable links (that otherwise don't violate the rules, of course) as either plain hyperlinks (http://www.google.com) OR as labeled hyperlinks (like this); you don't have to obscure them with "x"s or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:06:00 AM by Bozobub »

Offline Andale

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »
So why is it we need to downgrade? I'm on here looking for someone saying a reason why all my shares stopped uploading and why all my downloads are finding peers. It didn't happen just after upgrade, it only happened maybe a week or so ago, I only noticed uploads because ratio stopped changing. Is it something to do with that?
Sorry, I just don't see a reason stated why you would downgrade.

Ignore, I kinda misread. Too late in the night here.
Funny thing is, I swear it kept working awhile after update.
More comedy in the fact I avoided updating out of laziness and never even knew we had a client whitelist.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:18:52 AM by Andale »

Offline Ravek

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
If you want to downgrade to a version you've had installed before, just navigate to %APPDATA%\uTorrent\updates where you'll find installers for the previous versions you had.

Manually replacing .exe files is spurious practice and should be avoided. Even if it's worked so far there's no guarantee that this will remain the case, and there's no telling what kinds of subtle errors you could run into.

Offline Lyriel

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:50 AM »
While waiting for a new version to get added to the whitelist, here is a simple guide to downgrade so you can keep torrenting.

Step 1) Find the old version you want to use from http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/ right how as we are waiting for 3.3.1 to be added to the whitelist we will want to get uTorrent 3.3 Build 29677 simply click this link, then the download this version link on the next page.

Step 2) Find the uTorrent folder its found:

XP
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\uTorrent

Vista/Win7/8
C:\Users\[USER]AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

Mac/Linux
Sorry I have no idea but you should be able to find it pretty easy but seeing as how we are working with .exe's this guide doesn't apply to you anyways.

Step 3) Delete the utorrent.exe file in that folder and replace it with the old version file you downloaded.

Step 4) You're done check http://bakabt.me/whitelist.php about one a week to see if you can upgrade your client again.

Recently, i've u[pgraded my Torrent to 3.3.2 new version and it won't work at all.. It won't seed nor download files i've been downloading recently.. and it appears it's because my new version torrent isn't on the whitelist.. But trust me, just follow this guy's EASIEST 4 STEPS and it worked.. If you don't want to go through the problems of uninstalled then installed the old version of the torrent which will taking more time ;)

Offline ptmcg

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:55 AM »
I also found that I had upgraded to a more recent version of uTorrent than was on the BakaBT whitelist. I was able to go to hippofiles and get the 3.3.1 version, and this is even easier to temporarily revert to than has been previously reported.

All I did was shutdown all my foreground and background uTorrent processes, then ran the downloaded installation .exe. A nice dialog popped up, explaining, "hey, there is a newer version of uTorrent installed. Do you want me to revert your installation? Then click "Yes". Do you want me to just run the old version without installing it? Then click "No"."

Clicking "No" at this point simply runs the old version, without messing with the newer version that is installed. It even detected all the torrents currently in my queue, including the BakaBT one that was not working before.

I think this is as close to pain free as you can get. No mucking with copying .exe's hither and thither.

-- Paul