Author Topic: All my torrents in Utorrent disappeared.  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Soul Reaper

All my torrents in Utorrent disappeared.
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
So I had some trouble with my computer freezing and unfreezing recently and long story short, I got a virus and in the process of discovering it and removing it I had to hold the power button on my computer to get it to shutdown several times and at some point along the way all the torrents I had, about 200, disappeared from utorrent.  I have a folder of all the torrent files I've ever downloaded but I was hoping there is a way to recover just the torrents I currently had in Utorrent instead of having to pick the torrents I was seeding and find where I downloaded all of them.  I am currently using Utorrent 2.2.1.  Any help would be appreciated.
Due to limited hardware and disc space on the Xbox 360, Chrono Phantasma is currently only available for PlayStation systems.

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
Re: All my torrents in Utorrent disappeared.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
Well, if you can't find the torrent files on your disk, you'll have to DL them again. Not much to do about that, unfortunately.

Offline Soul Reaper

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »
I do have all the torrents on my pc, they're just mixed in with about 500 other torrents that I don't want in my Utorrent.  But I don't get how this happened in the first place.  I had to force my computer to turn off a few times, so did my preferences in utorrent just get corrupted?  And if that's the case, is there a way to restore it the way it was so all the torrents I had will be put back into utorrent and still seed from the same location?
Due to limited hardware and disc space on the Xbox 360, Chrono Phantasma is currently only available for PlayStation systems.

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »
Isn't there a cache or preferences file somewhere for uTorrent that's backed up somewhere in your Application Data directory?

Offline zherok

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
Isn't there a cache or preferences file somewhere for uTorrent that's backed up somewhere in your Application Data directory?
Yes, In Windows 7 and 8 (maybe Vista?) it's the Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/uTorrent folder. The actual executable is located there too, oddly enough.

The cached data seems to be saved in resume.dat. uTorrent keeps a backup by default called resume.dat.old. Should be able to delete any newly created resume.dat and try the backup.

Offline Soul Reaper

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:22 AM »
Yes, In Windows 7 and 8 (maybe Vista?) it's the Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/uTorrent folder. The actual executable is located there too, oddly enough.

The cached data seems to be saved in resume.dat. uTorrent keeps a backup by default called resume.dat.old. Should be able to delete any newly created resume.dat and try the backup.

So are you saying I could rename the resume.dat.old to resume.dat and it will all be there?

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:48 AM »
Theoretically, yes. You should make a copy and rename the copy instead, though, in case it doesn't work. And in case it wasn't obvious, make sure you have uTorrent closed completely before you do this (File->Exit).

Offline zherok

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »
It could be out of date, depending on when the backup is made. And if you've been running uTorrent long enough after the reset there's the possibility it's written over the backup. But assuming it's still intact it should work. And I'm not ENTIRELY positive that's how it saves configured torrents, but reasonably sure that's what it does.

Offline btpirate

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
And I'm not ENTIRELY positive that's how it saves configured torrents, but reasonably sure that's what it does.
Open resume.dat file with text editor, you'll see torrent list inside. It seems uTorrent saves new resume.dat when it closes and the list changed from last load.