Author Topic: live action asian movies  (Read 123 times)

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
live action asian movies
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:04 am »
Looking for some good entertaining asian action movies, kung fu, shoot em ups, crazy cyborgs, whatever.  I havent seen a lot, mostly just the big ones that come west, production value is probably most important to me, followed by as little drama as possible.  I don't mind silly shit, dumb stories or bad plots as long as the experience is fun, the second a term like "thought provoking" is used to describe a thing is the second I lose interest.  Oh and age, newer is better, preferably 2k+
If anyone knows of some movies that fit, I'd appreciate the recommendations

also if anyone knows a worthwhile tracker that focuses on asian movies that'd help

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: live action asian movies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
The One was pretty good
I also enjoyed Jet Li's Fearless

'The One' was a US production
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:20:38 pm by Krudda »

Offline undetz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:44 pm »
Well, there's Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, a B movie, but holy shit is it entertaining. If you like it, you can just start looking up other films by the same directors on imdb. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a classic of Kung Fu movies, it's older, but check it out if you haven't. Bunraku is technically a western production, but quite un-hollywoodlike, the visual art direction is amazing.

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
The One was pretty good
by "big ones that come west" I basically meant everything with jet li, jackie chan, chow yun fat or bruce lee.  The one and Fearless were pretty good, my fav jet li movie is probably Hero.

Well, there's Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, a B movie, but holy shit is it entertaining. If you like it, you can just start looking up other films by the same directors on imdb. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a classic of Kung Fu movies, it's older, but check it out if you haven't. Bunraku is technically a western production, but quite un-hollywoodlike, the visual art direction is amazing.
will check em out, thanks.

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:52 am »
Ichi the Killer (Japan), The Host (2006 Korean film), I Saw The Devil (Korea), The Man From Nowhere (Korea), and The Good The Bad The Weird (Korea) are all excellent films.

I would recommend having a strong stomach for Ichi and I Saw The Devil. They can both be brutal.

Offline Triltaison

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:42:00 pm »
I can rec Yakuza Weapon, Monster Girl Squad, and Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky if you're in the mood for over-the-top blood fests that hardly take themselves seriously. Riki- Oh is kinda old, but its English dub is infamously terrible for a reason and makes it even more ridiculous. The others feature such wonderful moments as a real-life Astro Boy, a man with a gun for his limbs, a naked girl transformed into a weapon carried by another person, and a giant robot with an artificial part of the male human anatomy as a primary weapon. They're kinda nuts.

Kung Fu Hustle is also fun if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:45:47 pm by Triltaison »

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:10 am »
Looking for some good entertaining asian action movies, kung fu, shoot em ups, crazy cyborgs, whatever.

I have a very good saga for you then and for everyone that enjoys good quality asian movies.
3 days ago I have watched George Lucas's "Rogue One", meeeh, not too impressed, but the movie had Donnie Yen in it, for those unfamiliar with the name, he played alongside Jet Li in "Hero" and other great Asian movies. That made me remember of his movies "IP Man" 1&2 which in my opinion as a drama fan wore pretty satisfying both in the amount of drama content as well as in the kung fu one. I have seen 2 days ago IP Man 3 as it was released in 2015 being remembered of the series, was good too, almost at the lvl of the 1st 2 movies. Do dare to watch them, they are superb.
The One was pretty good

'The One' was a US production

I think we wore here once before, weren't we? :laugh:

Jet Li was my favorite actor for the duration of my youth, best Jet Li movies in my opinion are Fearless, Swordsman II, Twin Warriors (which was my absolute favorite when I was like 12-14), Fist of Legend, Lethal Weapon 4 (here he's the villain).

Wong Fei Hung I,II&III, Red Dragon, The One, Romeo Must Die, Shu dan long wei (because it's also goof comedy :happy:), Black Mask, Kiss of The Dragon, Unleashed, The Forbidden Kingdom and Hero also deserve mentioning.

If anyone knows of some movies that fit, I'd appreciate the recommendations

All the movies suggested in this post fit your criteria. The age of the movies is not an issue. Convince yourself.

BTW, I also recommend Swordsman and Swordsman III, even if they don't have Jet Li in the cast. :happy:
It's not easy to find a damn english subtitles for some of these movies though. :-\

Warning, warning: DO NOT WATCH THEM IN ENGLISH DUBBING! WARNING! It's beyond retarded. I mean... who the f does these stuff!?*headbang*
I don't know if anyone else agrees with this, but whoever decides movies should be dubbed, regardless of the language, should just be shot on sight, without warning so there's little chance of escape!!! They are a danger to intelligent society, a grave one.
I mean... Russel Crowe said once "The italian voice that did me in Gladiator was brilliant, I think he did me better them myself! :laugh:"
M8, NO! REALLY NO! Don't even joke with this stuff! -_-

Side note: italians don't even know how to speak english because everything is f dubbed in their country. It's just sad... and infuriating, and... sad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:33:12 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:31:17 am »
so far watched 36th chamber of the shaolin, the fights were good, and the training segment was cool, but I couldnt get past the nonexistent plot and the omfg bad sound effects, every time a sword clashed made me cringe...was alright overall.

Just finished watching the man from nowhere, liked it quite a lot, reminded me of john wick (which is a good thing), that boss fight scene and the finisher for the last guy, so much win.

Probably gonna watch bunraku next, couldnt find a lot of the others, will hafta find a better tracker for foreign films

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I remember watching IP man a few years ago, don't remember it very well, at the time I didnt think it was good enough to check out the sequels (might anyways though)

The swordsman sounds pretty cool, so I'll give it a shot if I can find it

and any more recs are always welcome