Author Topic: Help the ACTA and TPP protests this Saturday  (Read 19365 times)

Offline kradidark

Re: Help the ACTA and TPP protests this Saturday
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 02:03:40 am »
The Problem with this (ACTA) is that it isn't even written by people that got voted into position.
I will try and see if I can get to any of the protests on Saturday.

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 02:09:12 am »
I will also be on the protesting riot against ACTA with some mates. In Greece we also have a strike against the memorandum those IMF assholes brought, so it's 2 birds in one stone. Those politicians are really good to vex me, so much good that I'm ready to bring out my blade and slice their throats!
Born to like catgirls.

Staff Edit: Signature removed.
 http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/Rules#Forum_Ava.2FSig_Guidelines

Offline d4rk

• Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 02:10:19 am »
I just have a bad feeling about this. I'm dead sure that this is gonna end with bad results for both the government and for the users. But this is just pure evil. the MAFIAA are teaming up via agreements.

Those who drafted this agreement must be punished at all costs punishment.
Blown up signature (tag, but doesn't match with avy):

Offline As_Dif

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:47 am »
The protests are having an impact: leaders in Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia have backtracked on ACTA.
Made me feel a bit proud of country I currently live in. Cause my mother country seems to support all that SOPA-ACTA stuff. In a very stupid way though, they just keep saying frightening unreal things, like "If you download something from the internet, one day we'll come to take your computer away", so nobody really cares, except for the little kids I guess.  ::)

Offline Xenoran

• Forever Fornever
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 02:59:56 am »
if it does pass or some version like it, itll end up like the prohibition, there will be riots people will get mad, beople will break the law anyway, then the government will realize they were stupid and remove the law just before it crumbles
CAN I GET A HENTAI RECOMENDATION HERE PLEASE http://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=30064.0

Offline iSoS

• I am on a horse.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:27 am »
We're taking up our concerns in a demonstration in Denmark's 2nd largest city, Aarhus, the 25th of february.
I think there's also going to be some demonstrations against ACTA in Copenhagen at some point - so we're taking the issue into our own hands.

I signed the petition I was greeted with when visiting this site.

I sincerely hope this whole package of bad ideas will be stopped in time, but in the meanwhile, please let your voice be heard in your own country.
Please attend the different demonstrations near you and sign the petitions, both online and on paper.

This is for the greater good.

/iSoS
I once set my phone to Airplane-Mode and threw it into the air. Worst. Transformer. Ever.

Offline grobnastaker

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:09 am »
The protests are having an impact: leaders in Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia have backtracked on ACTA.
Made me feel a bit proud of country I currently live in. Cause my mother country seems to support all that SOPA-ACTA stuff. In a very stupid way though, they just keep saying frightening unreal things, like "If you download something from the internet, one day we'll come to take your computer away", so nobody really cares, except for the little kids I guess.  ::)

I can't tell by your comment if you support it or not but "Take your computer away" means they'll beat you half to death and throw you in jail for some obscure reason they dug up to call you a terrorist. If the US has any say in this thing they'll steamroll over every other country's say in punishment for their citizens with the CIA and other secret agents. Anything to try and look like heroes to get support for their agendas.

Offline Warsie

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 05:55:24 am »
I wonder if a Guy Fawkes mask is a good idea for the protest. Cops here like to beat guys with masks.  :D
Either way, I'll be there. I just hope the awfully cold weather won't make most people stay at home...
Oh, btw...any thoughts on "Operation Black March" ?

Occupy Wall Street in the USA had Guy Fawkes mask wearing protestors and they werent maced or jacked due to wearing the Masks. Also protests for Julian Assange in London during WikiWars had them.

Also there's like jack shit in the USA. Anything for Chicago? Then again I remember OccupyChicago wasn't/isn't exactly big either.

Tannosuke, fuck up those IMF douchebags and fight the New World Order, good luck!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:58:37 am by Warsie »

Offline sawakosadako

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 09:18:02 am »
I'm almost having a heart attack :o A moment ago after reading this thread I found out I couldn't access almost any torrent site. I thought it has anything to do with this ;D I couldn't even open any link from google. Just got a quick preview of ACTA in action ;D

I'm not european, and I think my country will do just about what the american tell them to do so regardless of the people's opinion. So there's nothing I could do to support this movement other than post a link about this matter.

Good luck to you guys, I'm supporting you all 100%. If you guys succeed there's a chance my country will go your way ;)

Offline fullblue

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:31 am »
Sorry, but I'm not a citizen of Europe. I don't want to end up having problem with my visa.

Offline rahx360

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
This is not entirely new to me. But some things are going to be changed. Face it, people got too careless and search engines like google got too powerfull. Finding and downloading illegal content has become too easy. It's not normal when performing an artist search, that you get hits on the first page directing you to illegal downloads. This can not last.

But the companies that are supporting anti-piracy laws should realise that piracy is not that big as they think they are. They are not going to double their profits. Most people who download weren't bying in the first place.  A more realistic problem should be quality of the product and price marketing. If it's good, people will buy it.
And I belief services like itunes and netflix are hurting the industry too.

There are examples that proof that the industry overreacts or can adept to current times. The video game industry has been complaining for centuries about piracy. But they are still arround, even better, the industry keeps growing.
Take a look at movies like Avatar, Tintin... they made alot of money, is there any need to complain about people downloading your movie? And the worst thing, Avatar wasn't even that good. Blame those 100 million dollar movies for the failure of smaller movies with a 5 million budget. The big overshadow the small. Stopping piracy is the answer?

How about gaining sales from piracy? Would Funanimation license and sell anime without us? No, anime would never have become an export product if it wasn't for fansubbing. I understand Funanimation that they don't want their work been downloaded for free. By that I mean their translation and dubs, but keep your hands of fansubs. Lot's of people depend on them, and R1 dvd even says it's illegale for use outside the USA, so importing no thank you.
The internet is also a grate tool for music artists. What are the changes that I would know of Lower Class Brats without the internet? I liked them, bought all their music because I could download it for free first. You see, these things works both ways. But the big companies are naive and only here for making fast money.

Am I pro piracy? No. Should things change? Yes. How? Making free a part of the internet. I believe in a controlled envirement that makes downloading for free legal. The deal is simple, let people create download service like p2p but they should be aproved and traceable. And after a certain date content become free. For movies i'm thinking about 2 years after dvd/bluray release. It's like waiting untill a movie airs for free on tv. Imaging watching a movie on tv and recording it = legal and at the same time you download the movie from the internet = illegal. That doesn't make sense. Most sales are after the release date, after 2 years sales are so low that you can't even bother anymore. This way you create a environment that marks the border of what is allowed and what not. And people who break those rule should get a penalty.

Protesting is one thing, but there need to be a more solid, constructive solution. If we let them make all the changes things might turn out real bad. And they could stop piracy on a legal way. I have a monthly data limit of 100GB, an upload speed of max 280kb/s and to make things worse, traffic shaping on torrents between the day hours. I can download but uploading is impossible this way.
You can protest againt sopa, pipa, acta, lilo,... but things will repeat themself. If they take down all torrent trackers, what are you going to do about it?

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »
@ rahx360:

I agree with you on terms of the game industry and how funimation is handling it, but I think you are missing a fundamental problem that ACTA poses: invasion of privacy. When I visit my parents in germany, I don't want my harddrives checked through. When I'm on the internet, I don't want any government agency to know for how long I was at a specific site (which becomes apparent through connection data). And that is only in terms of digital data.

Even if things repeat themselves, either the community will continue to fight back until the companies go bankrupt from the bribes, or they finally start seeing sense and implement proper copyright protection, maybe one that requires internet within thei DVDs or their movie files. It's not impossible or unthinkable to do that, it's been happening in the gaming industry for years, getting stricter or more lenient. E.G. Steam is a good way to deal with it.

I'll agree with anti-piracy laws if they are defined properly, not like how things are done with ACTA.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:01 pm »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I disagree with you. The problem isn't piracy but the copyright law which are no longer adapted to the reality of internet. Either we most adapt the law, which would mean to REDUCE greatly the power of copyright holders, or we must scrap the idea of intellectual property altogether. I'm personally a fan of the second solution although I'm still open to the first if they come out with something reasonable (I doubt they will).

Our ability to instantaneously exchange ideas around the world means that the market of idea is always saturated. Copyright is no longer necessary for that. There are plenty of artists who are still producing new artwork without any prospect to get pay. They make a lot more that you will ever hope to see. The only right I would still reserve them is attribution, as it can allowed them to make a bit of money money without jeopardizing other's freedom.

But other than that, nothing. Once you have distributed an idea, and artwork or generally an intellectual entity, it is no longer yours. It's now part of the popular culture. And it's bad that some copyright holders can gain control over an important part of popular culture.
Altmed is altfact!

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »
Another small update (or rather a major wan seeing how it affects 80 million people): Germany's ministry of foreign affairs has retracted teh directive to sign ACTA (which officialy had been delayed due to formal matters).

Offline Deviation

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:08 pm »
The underlining importance of this "trade agreement" is the Internet dictatorship that can follow with Big Brother watching everything you do. It is very easy to see that the drafter of ACTA was following 1984 (by George Orwell) as a guideline i.e "ACTA committee"; "CH 2 Section: Civil Enforcement; Boarder Measures; Criminal Enforcements"; CH 3 Enforcement Practices" etc. ;

CH 5: Institutional Arrangements
Article 36 - "the ACTA committee is established as governing body of the treaty in which all parties are represented. The body is not involved in individual cases, but monitors implementation, can formally propose changes to the convention... decides on the admittance of WTO-members which were not present at the negotiations. Parties establish a contact point (Article 37) which acts as a primary contact with regards to the execution of the treaty and are required to "shall accord sympathetic consideration" to requests for cooperation on matters regarding the convention (Article 38)." - Note "shall accord sympathetic consideration"

CH 6 Article 43: "After the date in Article 39 passes, any WTO member nation may seek to accede into the agreement." - where then the amount of signatories would increase dramatically when ACTA comes into forces.

For a "trade agreement" it has broad amount of power with its own committee and ACTA seem confident in getting more WTO members as it is mentioned several times in its finalized agreement about "WTO members not present at negotiations" and "WTO member nation may seek to accede into agreement."

Unlike SOPA and PIPA, which was in infancy, this bill is quite far along and too late to stop in most places. I remember when I was in S.Korea there was small bit of news about a conference taking place concerning ACTA. That was almost 2 years now and it only seem that people caught up about ACTA now. I was pretty concerned than but nothing seemed to have popped up about ACTA afterwards so I thought it was dead and buried.  :(

But what matters most now is stopping this in EU which will contribute largely toward stopping TPP successfully. ACTA is done in most signatory countries but TPP isn't.

Salutation to everyone who will protest this Saturday.

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »
Well, in terms of music, if you hear any demo tracks and you like them, then you can buy them. The demo tracks are a WIN for the music industry, especially in internet, because the music producers asked to create a demo version of this track, which would attract every music lover. So I don't think the music companies would be interested in the piracy.

In terms of gaming, the problem in piracy lies between the borders. The publishers(Microsoft and Nintendo) are region-locked and all of the publishers, except of the PC publishers, are expensive. There are some gamers, who love a certain kind of game, i.e. I love the RPGs, especially the J-RPGs, who are sad to hear that some games won't come to PAL, worse to NTSC, including the region-lock system, will go to piracy to try importing them and enjoy them. Other gamers are really poor and can't invest themselves to buy a game they want to play, so they refer to the copy-right piracy, let alone the fucking tax, which doubles the game's price. Had the publishers know about it, they would go to a different way, which is the region-free system and the lowering of the price.

In terms of the movies, I dunno, but the equipment to make a good movie costs too much, let alone the actors, the technicians, the director, etc, etc, etc.

In terms of Internet, I'd agree to stop the pedophilia, because these kids are little souls. You have to respect them. Only an ill mind would go so far to psychologically traumatize them, so that's why we need this ACTA in a point to stop this shit, but I don't think this will happen anyway. -.-
Born to like catgirls.

Staff Edit: Signature removed.
 http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/Rules#Forum_Ava.2FSig_Guidelines

Offline Rislim

• Victorique is mine.
    • Rizlim, Anime Blu-Rays
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:28 pm »
I wonder if a Guy Fawkes mask is a good idea for the protest. Cops here like to beat guys with masks.  :D
Either way, I'll be there. I just hope the awfully cold weather won't make most people stay at home...
Oh, btw...any thoughts on "Operation Black March" ?
Wasn't Operation Black March about buying no Movies, games etc? just a normal month for me then :3
I do blu-rays on request, visit my blog for more info.

BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #022938

Offline rahx360

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »
@Burkingam
My respond wasn't just about acta. Acta, sopa, intellectual property, copyright all links together. Sure when there's no copyright there will be no piracy. But when there's no money, than there will be no more content. From your response, I guess your don't believe in copyright or making money from your work. Well good luck finding a movie maker that spends 40 million on his movie and give's it away for free.

Trust me, I'm really against copyright protection, violating our privacy,... Any idea how pissed I am that the US demanded information from EU banks to protect themself from terrorism? Freedom and Piracy is a complete joke. I'm happy living in the EU, but I can feel the pressure from the US goverment concerning alot of things.

My biggest concern is that we, the people are going to get fucked pretty hard. Sopa wasn't supported by the EU, but Acta is (and others). That's why I believe it will be better the make a decent regulations. Like that after 2 years copyright expires and the content becomes free (music, games, movies,...Mickey Mouse is something to debate about). Do you want the latest music, movies, games,... you can buy it or wait 2 years and get it free. But even after 2 years you can buy it. A few days ago I ordered a cheap 15 year old cd from Yokozuna Ichiban. Free doesn't stop people from buying.

Usually I don't respond on messages, usually I wouldn't reply on someones comment, but this matter is delicate. If the US make agreements with other countries to stop what we do, to control the internet, then we're fucked.  If you haven't noticed yet, the US goverment/companies like to dictates the rest of the world. What would happened to the piratbay without the pressure from the US? This time it doesn't feel like some actions against warez sites, napster, kazaa, ftp server. That worries me.

Many things have been happening the last 10 years, but can we really make a change? So many decissions are made above are heads. All we can do is pray for the best.

Logging out and downloading all I can while I still can  ;D

Offline LostLogia4

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 04:07:56 pm »
Obama will NOT get my vote for this.
F****g Obama, how can he go and sign something like this, he's out his freaking mind.
Actually, the way the American government is going, it looks like the Congress are too lazy and idiotic to let the content mafias get their retarded "way of business" into their head. Obama was smarter than the Congress in this regard at least. He voted against SOPA (but that's all he do), the Congress was pressurized by people. Now the content mafias are spreading their retarded "religion" to Deutschland, Poland, Japan, Singapore... wherever there are fewer Internet raptors around pecking their back.

As a matter of fact, yeah, I know piracy or money laundering or whatever is wrong, but without fansubs, I would become an empty shell of myself. Like a tome that was supposed to be filled with a Philosopher Stone's worth of knowledge, have only filled two pages or so before it is burned away. Sure, creating media requires financial support, but Internet is another story altogether. Internet is a place where people are connected, as opposed to the physical world where all people are separate entity and not created equal. Once you media get tossed into Internet, checkmate. Your intellectual property will cease to become your private right, it become the people's property. If your media is great, great, you earn what you deserve, maybe a million but never billions. If your media is poor, people will talk you out of it, and that's not to mention everyone have their own shares of greed. This is how the world works. You gotta face the reality.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:23:48 pm by LostLogia4 »

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:05 pm »
Are we having another internet strike as well?

Also, please take note people. Stop electing these ass clowns that keep doing this!
The people responsible for ACTA are not elected by anyone. The entire process is extremely undemocratic, as trade agreements don't need to pass through congress to be passed!