Author Topic: Donations part III  (Read 30297 times)

Offline tomsawyer2k5

Re: Donations part III
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
Can't you guys make a paypal account without mentioning the fact that it's for a torrent site or torrents for that matter?  Like make a free sister site with non-important info and make it have some anime news.  A simple Wordpress site should do.  Then create an account for that site?  OR, someone mentioned earlier to perhaps use a Google Checkout account.  I don't know if these would work, but I prefer donating through Paypal or Google Checkout since I've used it for years and don't want to sign up for new billing systems that have issues or no guarantee of working properly.  I'm sure a lot of us feel the same way, especially those of us who live in US.

Offline garycheung

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
Based in the UK, I have money pending and will be making a donation via AlertPay as soon as possible. Bakabt guys and all uploaders have done a hell of a lot for me, cheers guys!

Offline XellosM

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »
I don't have a bank account anymore, someone hacked my paypal account and bounced it. never got notification until a month later by snail mail (go pnc and your trusting of the mail system) is there any alternative that reliably accepts cards? I'll be sad to see this site go down because of lack of financing and paypal being evil.

Offline yogsodoth

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:53 am »
tomsawyer above has the right idea. Other private trackers do the same thing... buy a subscription from their "legit" web hosting/email/cheesey seedbox provider (which you don't even necessarily need to use, but which gets you a subdomain or something if you really want it) and get VIP membership for the same length of time on the torrent site (or, in your case, bonus credits). Works great, the service being sold is legal, and the "bonus" doesn't have to be mentioned, since it's just a free extra you get along with your web hosting subscription, right? Find yourselves a partner who already does something anime-related well and use an incentive program... an anime hub, anime DVD reseller or similar, you get $x for every $y you drive to the site, count $x as a donation on the bonus points program. Or "go legit" with some sort of offering yourselves, sell crappy low-level web space (a great concept because fixed costs are low and most of the fee can be applied to the donation) or resell anime collectibles through drop shipping or something. It'll take some research to find the right thing to do but once you have it, no more worries about payment processor fears, because there is no controversy. Maybe your products are overpriced, but that's up to the buyer, right? Wink, wink.

Offline Warsie

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
I am seconding (erm fourthing :p) the 'bitcoin' idea.

Offline cintai

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »
Could we use WEPAY? I know they received a huge surge of donations for the Occupy Wallstreet protesters especially since they couldn't take paypal. I just used it to pay for some goods from a very very small business and I didn't have a problem.

There's a slight difference in fees. Paypal charges 2.9% transaction fee on the total sale amount plus a $0.30 fee per transaction. Wepay charges 3.5% transaction fee (50¢ minimum) for each payment you receive. In the end I think it evens out. You also doesn't have to go through the hassle of linking up a bank account, credit cards are ok.

I can't tell you how many problems paypal has caused with my bank account and their stupid terms, I'm hoping more people use alternatives to paypal so we more people can get away from their lousy service.

Offline favoknago

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 04:30:04 am »
Ill go look at that flattr im reading about. Hope you can find a way to get out of this mess, cause i love this site  ;)

Offline ESCAPEFLOWNE

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:53 am »
I want to donate. I went to alertpay to sign up. There in the account information step, they are asking for a Transaction Pin. I have no idea what that is. I do have a bank account but no credit card.I have never shop online or donated online before.My country is India.

Please give me some advice. If i don't have any card, does that mean i can't donate ?

Offline AnimeOokami

• The big "bad" wolf.
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:25 pm »
I want to donate. I went to alertpay to sign up. There in the account information step, they are asking for a Transaction Pin. I have no idea what that is. I do have a bank account but no credit card.I have never shop online or donated online before.My country is India.

Please give me some advice. If i don't have any card, does that mean i can't donate ?

You can find that and other information in their FAQ, here is quote from there
Q: What is a Transaction PIN?
 When you signed up for your AlertPay account, you were asked to create a Transaction PIN.  A Transaction PIN is required every time you send money, request money, withdraw funds, make a payment, close your account or change any information in your AlertPay account.

This is an extra level of security to protect your account and personal information.  If you have forgotten your Transaction PIN, please follow these instructions to reset it:

1. Login to your AlertPay account.
2. Click on “Profile”.
3. Under “Personal”, click on “Transaction PIN”.
4. Click on “Forgot your Transaction PIN?” and follow the instructions.

So you just make the PIN up and write it down so you can remember it later.

Offline Blueboy03

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:10 am »
I'm actually keen on doing a balance transfer using AlertPay and donating from my balance but unfortunately I keep getting an error message: "We no longer support bank transfer deposits Via Envoy. If you initiate a bank transfer deposit Via Envoy, your transaction will not be processed and you will be fined $20 USD." Is there any way around this? I rely on donation to keep my ratio up so I've been following this issue pretty closely since I got wind of it in January.

Otherwise I'll just have to wait until AlertPay gets its credit card processing back on track or you folks at BakaBT find an alternate means of accepting donations.

Offline Denton

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 07:06:28 am »
I'm curious... how did Boxtorrents manage to do this (before the coup d'etat)?
Maybe someone could contact Box for some advice? ;)

Offline DriftEJ20

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:39 am »
I'll donate via Flattr once I get paid in the next few days. I'll probably do a pretty hefty amount and then not donate again for a while if the fees aren't linear. You guys have done wonders for me and finding ways to not do Calc homework so I owe you something!

Offline choosy

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:19 am »
If I use Flattr do I still get donator status / upload credit.

Offline BowlofRice

• Call me Gohan, Shimapan...or BowlofRiceKrispies!
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 04:07:18 pm »
If I use Flattr do I still get donator status / upload credit.

As far as I know, no. It counts as an anonymous donation.

Offline darkhunt333

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2012, 04:17:55 am »
Alertpay is soo slow. :(

I broke the donation chart.   :'(

Duki3003 edit: Don't double post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:33:32 pm by Duki3003 »

Offline yogsodoth

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:06 am »
Re: bitcoins, my 2 cents' worth:
Bitcoins are an all-digital secure currency which are increasingly used for illegal transactions (check the .onions on Tor and notice that they're all selling CC numbers, illegal weapons, botnet time, etc. for bitcoins). This makes them a target for law enforcement. Due to that and the fact that the bitcoin market is vulnerable to manipulation, I would never use bitcoins to donate and I would never tie them to my real money.

Offline Badvoc

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:49 am »
Paypal etc. pulling the plug without warning is always going to be a problem while this remains a torrent site, so why not ditch the idea of using online transactions altogether. Can't BakaBT set up a PO Box address or something like that? Then we could all send donations in an envelope using good old fashioned cash, in whatever currency we wanted to send it. The site operators could just pick up the mail every now and then and use the money in whatever way they wanted to keep the place up and running.

Offline ttgg

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »
Any chance we could have an update of the situation, if any?

Offline ViperMWC

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 08:35:24 am »
Been trying to get some money to you via Alert Pay for 3 days now... Everything is stopped as they can't seem to process any credit/debit card transactions... I did look into the straight bank transfer.... but... they want things like a persons name from the bank  ???  What the hell ???
Any of you mods want to PM me an address and I'll send you a check....
As for PAYPAL... why link it at all with BakaBT ? Open a personal account or something.. we trust you mods....
Well whatever, at the moment I'm pushing a bit of money in via Flattr.. long as the bills are paid I can forgo anything for me....
But really this needs sorting.. we are willing to help out....
MWC

Offline Phoenix_Core

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »
well iam trying to access today, and when i click the donate button, and entering the alertpay web, i no longer see they cannot process credit card...
but after i logged in...
"Deposit by credit card is temporarily unavailable."
what the??

i almost happy that i could donate, but with this, it's made it impossible...
i live in indonesia...
and i can't wire transfer or anything like that...
my bank does not support / to lazy to do it...
graaaaaahh...!!!

I hope you could find another source...
Cheers...