Author Topic: Now accepting bitcoins  (Read 6559 times)

Offline tyc

• 13ro
    • Previous
Re: Now accepting bitcoins
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 11:29:05 am »
Will the possibility to do BitCoin donations always be open if we wanna buy 10GB per Euro or is it still closed except for brief windows when opened for server costs?

At https://bakabt.me/donate.php the green "donator status" icon looks really cool. Now I can see it shows up on tracker profiles. Kind of want. Particularly since my fail-comp can't store much without having external hard-drives on and consuming power, so buying GB is the only way I'm gonna fix this ratio until I can upgrade my PC and get more income to keep it on more often without wrecking air-conditioning.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 12:16:39 pm »
Considering we're not receiving them at the same pace as donations directly with credit cards, it is very likely it will.
However we will close it regardless when we reach our goal.

Offline zenzinin

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:20 pm »
Just tried bitcoins.  Concept is interesting and fluctuates like the trade market, which I'm fine with.  It's even fun.  For those interested, here's a quick pros and cons.

PROS:
- Alternative to donating on Bakabt, if you've missed the donation window.
- Sometimes you get more bang for your buck; as of current today, exchange rate is 1 EUR = 0.003909 BTC = 15 GB upload credit (whereas usual donation is 1 EUR = 10 GB upload credit).
- It's fun - really, it's always fun when you're winning.
- It's fast, if you're buying/selling at market value.
- Accepts Paypal.
- Since it's a trade market, you can actually make some money off of it on the side.
- If you live in a country where companies can fine or sue you for uploading, donating bitcoins in exchange for upload credits is a no brainer.
- You can use Bitcoins for a number of things, and not just for donating on Bakabt
- May or may not be tax deductible (since it's a donation).

CONS:
- Transaction fees (but almost the same with donation, so can't complain there).
- Not FDIC secured, so if you lose your Bitcoins the way you may lose money at a bank or credit card, no one is legally obligated to return it to you, but doubt that will happen (but if you get the bright idea of trying to earn some money from it, know you've been told it's not FDIC secured).
- Fluctuates like any trade market.
- Sometimes you DON'T get as good of a bang for your buck.
- May take a while to buy/sell if you've set a limit.
- Some learning curve, as in, you'll need to take some time to learn it if you don't know how to use it.
- May or may not be tax deductible (since it's a donation).
- The minimum you can buy BTC is 0.020.  To give you an idea what this means:
   >Deposited $10 USD into account
   >Exchanged it for about 2200 SSL via market exchange
   >Exchanged it for about .027 BTC. 
   I can't exchange anything less than 0.020 BTC.  So I actually had to deposit around $7 today.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:12:10 pm by zenzinin »

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 01:53:50 am »
Have you tried using the limit order zenzinin? The fees are a lot less than using a market order.

Offline zenzinin

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 02:01:20 am »
Yep.  The fees aren't really a concern.  Just wanted to donate something since I've been using your site for a few years now.  :).

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 07:47:31 am »
Bitcoins are still too much of a pain in the ass to acquire, imho.
They really aren't that complicated as they may appear at a glance. Even the PayPal method (over VirWox) is fairly simple and straight forward.
I haven't tried them but I hear Circle.com makes using Bitcoins super easy. It seems to require using an iOS or Android app and I don't have either of those, so I can't test it out. But supposedly you can directly use a credit/debit card or bank account, and it's instant.

There's some threads...
https://www.reddit.com/r/AgMarketplace/comments/35dvpc/has_anyone_used_circlecom_for_their_bitcoin/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2hs8wa/can_we_make_a_list_of_countries_which_circlecom/