Author Topic: End of Summer clean up  (Read 7566 times)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
End of Summer clean up
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:58:59 pm »
Summer is nearly over for us in the Northern Hemisphere, and with it we think it's due time for a little clean up, because winter is coming!

This summer has brought us a lot of big changes in the inner workings, look and feel of the site, some more welcome than others, however, another thing it brought was a plague of washed up ads replacing most of our images hosted on imageshack. Luckily we have a solution, but a clean up is due.
All torrents that are still using imageshack in any shape or form are put to adoption. BakaSHOTS has been in service for quite some time now, so there has been more than enough time for torrent owners to port their images.

As some of the more observant users may have already noticed, we made some updates to the adoption system to accommodate this, making it more useful then it already was. The new addition - Bounty.
Bounty is how many bonus points you will be rewarded upon successful completion of an adoption. It will also increase daily, to give motivation for more unpopular torrents, and can now be a great way of boosting/fixing your ratio.

Depending on the task it can be:

● 1/10 of the amount for a small edit,
           ● 1.0x default amount,
           ● 1.5x for a good job,
           ● 2.5x for an awesome job

Usual rules for adopting still apply, you have to write a short request with your motivation behind adopting (what's wrong with it, what do you intend to fix), and you have to own the files before adopting. And to prove that you do own them you should have the torrent in your active list as seeding.

Additionally, there will be a staff recruitment soon, probably in few weeks, so if you were thinking of applying as staff, this can be a good way of showing an interest in the site and rack up some points.

-Duki3003
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:12:30 pm by Duki3003 »

Offline Deth93

• [Avatar: Sakura Saber]
Re: End of Summer clean up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »
Keep up the good work. ^^ Might as well join the torrent adoption once I get Power User status. And when I learn some HTML basics. ^^ hehe

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:06:10 pm »
Power user requirement has been stripped, all users (older than 2 weeks) can now adopt, even warned users. Well as long as they have the files...

Also, there is a 1 active adoption at a time limit, so choose wisely.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:18:57 pm by Duki3003 »

Offline 12laus

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:08:45 pm »
As a follow up to the staff recruitment line, as with before, it'd be great to have someone who is fluent (or thereabouts) in Japanese.

This will help us in being more able to judge translation quality as Nodame-chan can't do everything herself.

We realise in a way we do pull talent from the same pool as fansubbers but we hope that some will choose us  ;)

Please don't leave staff applications on this page. The early notice was just to allow people more time to decide as well as to get involved in the adoption process as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:17:02 pm by 12laus »

Online macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:04 pm »
I'll take the first 50.... Errm.... Let's not.  ;)
Anyway, if photobucket gets screwy like that I'll have an issue, still have those around.
Should really make time to transfer those soon...

Offline Nodame-chan

• Staff
  • コ・イ・シ・テ・ル
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:09 pm »
Y'all have fun adopting stuff~
Adoptions were what made we want to become a mod almost 4 years ago, and I'm here now. :D
君は忘れるの?
This is what YOU are

Offline Ghretto

• Name's Bonzu Pippen paddle Oppsocopolis III
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:47 pm »
I've just started adopting torrents, and I can tell you right now... it's a slippery slope. I am already thinking of how my next torrent can be better, bolder, MORE AMAZING! It's an addiction... really.

Offline jouni555

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:12 pm »
It's... beautiful.

Offline Hatsune4505

• So many games, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:42:16 am »
Just in time!  ;D   I was thinking of adopting a few torrents with those annoying imageshack images.
It's a trap?!

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 01:47:50 am »
Oh. Another staff application. I'm hoping the new staffs could start the oldest offers before the latest ones :whistle:

And it seems like you want to take that Adoption pool down to zero by actually providing us bonus points when we adopt things. Great idea.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 01:49:08 am »
The previous adoption system worked fine.

Offline jsc315

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 02:13:29 am »
I've just started adopting torrents, and I can tell you right now... it's a slippery slope. I am already thinking of how my next torrent can be better, bolder, MORE AMAZING! It's an addiction... really.

I really appreciate it. Especially when it comes to some of the older titles time has forgotten. It's one of the many reason I love this place.

Offline tonyp

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 04:52:25 am »
The torrents still can be adopted even if I fix these image links in my description ?

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 05:11:48 am »
Yes and no. If you fix the images, "report" the torrent with something like "image links restored, wish to retain ownership"

Offline firestarter_

• sunshine
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:15:51 am »
New staff applications, AND a Bounty system? This is wonderful! I'll be looking forward to it.

Much love for everyone on BakaBT!

Offline moosealert

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:27:33 am »
It was my understanding long ago that the bare-bones bonus point system would be eventually expanded when resources permitted. Many features were suggested, like a marketplace to spend your points on profile badges or site features, and the ability to donate points to other users. It's been many years now and the site's been totally overhauled, but the bonus point system remains unchanged. Even the upload trade-in value seems terrible -- 160hours minimum (seeding a huge number of torrents hoping to achieve that 10point max) for a measly 10GB of upload credit.

I have over a quarter of a million bonus points. I really don't need more. Give me something to spend them on, or at least let me donate to contests or something.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:11 am »
The torrents still can be adopted even if I fix these image links in my description ?

2 ways of handling it. Considering you're still the owner you can go and fix all image links and message a staff member to remove your torrent from adoption (usually you would go trough a report, however currently messaging a staff member directly would work better), or go trough the adoption process for the points.

It was my understanding long ago that the bare-bones bonus point system would be eventually expanded when resources permitted. Many features were suggested, like a marketplace to spend your points on profile badges or site features, and the ability to donate points to other users. It's been many years now and the site's been totally overhauled, but the bonus point system remains unchanged. Even the upload trade-in value seems terrible -- 160hours minimum (seeding a huge number of torrents hoping to achieve that 10point max) for a measly 10GB of upload credit.

I have over a quarter of a million bonus points. I really don't need more. Give me something to spend them on, or at least let me donate to contests or something.

Currently the bonus system is achieving what we want from it, so a marketplace is still a long way off. So the bonus system will still be kept bare bones, however features will be added (such as this) if we find them as necessary.

Offline Van.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:25:56 am »
I have fixed broken images on a few of my torrents and reported them to be removed from the adoption. Some of them have been processed and is no longer listed as adoptable, but for some strange reason, those torrents don't appear as uploaded by me on my user page.
Can this be fixed somehow?

Offline testtor11

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:20 am »
> https://bakabt.me/adopt.php?ordertype=bounty

I think sorting by bounty size not working.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:44 am »
@Van, I think it's a caching issue, it may resolve itself. You still own the torrents, so there is nothing wrong there. If they don't appear, we'll see if there is an issue with the userpage.

@testtor11, Thank you for reporting, we'll fix it, however in the meantime you can sort by category. It'll have the same effect as sorting by bounty.