Author Topic: *Staff applications 2015* II take  (Read 6111 times)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
*Staff applications 2015* II take
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:45 am »
As previously mentioned, the time has come for a new recruitment drive. We're heavily understaffed with currently only 2 - 2.5 active staff members trying to manage every part of BakaBT due to various circumstances.

Requirements are still the same as before - and this should go without saying but -
We are not looking for temporary help, that is staff members that will disappear after a month or so. If you choose to apply please be sure that you want to commit your time to being a mod in the long run.
If you cannot commit to that, please do not waste our time by applying.
But you believe you're up to the task leave us a comment here telling us a bit about yourself and why you feel you would make an excellent contributing staff member.

The standard requirements are, of course, still in effect:

What we're looking for:
- Familiar with our Wiki info.*
- Familiar with our torrent offer system.*
- Knows how to make a comparison of releases.
- Know how to interpret comparisons, and make a weighted decision on a release.
- Respectable, not a douche.
- Must know how to use IRC. This is our main form of contact.*
- As always, can speak coherent English...

*very important~!

Not as important, but a plus:
- Knows HTML/php coding
- Has a fast/respectable connection (For quickly obtaining different releases for comparison purposes)

If you have decent knowledge of Japanese, please don't forget to mention it. This, of course, will not be a deciding and/or eliminating factor, but will be a big plus for your application.

There is no requirement on how long you have to be a member to be considered. However if you are a ghost, your chances are non-existent.
Which means - show us what you can do. Comment on pending offers, get involved in the release discussions on the forums, provide comparisons you will be required to make if you get accepted.
We don't hire randomly, we will do a background check on you. If you partook in the end of summer clean up and did a good job, that too will be a bonus for you. If you haven't it's still not to late to get involved and noticed, there's still quite a number of torrents left available for adoption.

Applications will be open for 2 weeks - that is until 25.10.2015.
Any questions you can find me on IRC, or consult with a staff member.
Submit your applications here. All applications sent through PM will be automatically rejected!

-Duki3003

Offline mitchellf

Re: *Staff applications 2015* II take
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:40:59 am »
Good luck all, current staff do a fantastic job even with the limited resources they have. Wish all the best for the "to be" staff :)

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:20:19 am »
Zaraki! AI! Please, be enslaved by Duki work for the community!

Although, I can also work. But I'm not good when it comes with making comparison using AvsPmod nor at judging the best quality.. besides, I only have 120 kBps at home and 500 kBps at dorm during night time.

Man, I need more experience at comparing rather than offering Coalgirls's releases on the spot.

Offline KgOlve

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:48:35 am »
What, nobody applied on the first recruitment drive? ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 09:06:20 am »
What, nobody applied on the first recruitment drive? ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Too few were qualified and accepted. It's just some staffs are busy these days and couldn't process the offers as fast as it should

Online macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
Well, I'd like to put myself up for consideration this time around.

My main motive for actually applying for once is the state of the offer page, really. I'd kept hoping it would be whittled down more permanently, but although some valiant efforts were made it never seems to stay at a more manageable level.

I would like to try to help with this undertaking, because I really think it's BakaBT's largest bottleneck and the cause of a lot of frustration, not only for the majority of the uploaders (no new content without them, right?), but also for current staff.

True, BakaBT is more than just the tracker side of things, and although I'm active on the forums and IRC (though lurking mostly in the #bakabt channel, due to me not seeing anything useful to contribute to the current level of discussions  ;) ) we have to face it that for the most part they are 3 separate classes of users. There's not THAT much overlap between them with regard to active users, aside from the Uploaders' Forum part and the tracker.
Of course, there are some exceptions.

Since I joined BakaBT 7 years ago I basically never left it, and pretty much know all of the important ins and outs of the site (tracker side, forum, IRC and Wiki) and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. My home and work situation has been stable for quite some time, so I certainly can spend time on BakaBT matters on a regular (daily) basis. Point of reference for current staff: I'm Dutch, so I live by CET standards.

Now, some of the other requirements: I do know some HTML/php coding, but it's more entry level stuff. I know how to adjust and change it, but coming up with new applications, well, that I leave to the hobbyists. We certainly have plenty of those here on BakaBT. Besides, I personally find it not that important with regard to judging offers. (prepares for counter arguments...)

I've offered/adopted loads of torrents, for the majority of categories we have here on BakaBT, and have been dabbling in encoding also in the past 2 years, so I'm certainly familiar with most of the rules/pitfalls/etc. that come looking around with regard to offers. Not claiming to be an expert, but am at least comfortable with all of it. Comparisons are no stranger to me.

One of my personal regrets is not understanding Japanese (all those animes left untranslated...), and not having the time to properly learn it, so I can't help out staff with that, alas...
With regard to time available to judge offers: that would be about 2 hours each day on week days, I think. I'm online way more, usually, but that's mostly just browsing/reading when I have some idle time at work. On the weekends that's more of course, though I do occasionally have stuff to do then, just like everyone...  ;)

Well, I'll leave it at this for now.

Offline carks

• Staff
  • Everyday is always the best day~
    • muh blog
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:35 am »
I've been interested in seeing the background work you guys always go through and as i see, i think you might need more people to help out so i have decided to help and apply.

I have been on BBT for 2 years, which for some is short but still. At first i wasn't so active and just used to see nice torrents and that's about it. One day i said "hey this anime is not on bakabt, why not offer it" and then I offered it. After that, i started to offer more and more, and to be exactly Manga. I'm not so familiar with the community since i don't go too much on the Lounge, although i should start to. I started to offer and adopt and offer a lot but then IRL problems got me in hard troubles and i was out for...8 months I think? But I came back and I've been offering and adopting like nothing happened.

I'm a NEET for now, I'll start System Engineering in april next year but I don't think it'll eat all of my time at first. I have way too much time to spare now so I think working as a mod can satisfy that. My other hobbies revolve around trying to make new food and finding new music. I'm learning Japanese now, but I'm still pretty new in that aspect, I started like 2 months ago. I think the thing I consume the most in general is manga, I like it a lot more than anime in general because I consume less time on it, I can read it faster compared than watching a whole anime, and I simply love it. Manga is my main source of "happiness" those days, and it has been like that for almost 2 years. I used to like anime more but when Cromartie got me tired of the "read the manga" jokes, I decided to start and i just got into manga thanks to that, I started to find new and more interesting manga thanks to Cromartie and I'm still happy about my decision.

I have uploaded over 150 torrents, probably, I've lost the account on how many I have adopted, the count would probably be 50-70, probably. I have tried to offer a little bit of everything (aside from Live Actions and MVs) so I think I'm good enough in those parts, I know where to look for content. Even though my descriptions are sometime simple, I have been trying to do something more original by learning HTML with a few friends, I don't know much about PHP but I think I can learn more about it and I'm kinda interested about learning coding in general because of that. With comparisons I'm still pretty meh at them; I can see differences most of the time easily and i can write and argue why i think 'x' version is better but when I'm doing a comparison I'm not so good with it, well with Anime comparisons, with manga comparisons i think i can do pretty fine (EDIT: I did two new comparisons, an anime one and a manga one, the manga one has a little wall of text on which version is better!). I might not look like it sometimes (and maybe my title reveal my bad side) but I can be a pretty good and nice person, if you don't start to treat me bad. I have had my fights on the internet because dumb topics, but nothing entirely serious. I use IRC a lot lately because I started to work with a manga group but even before that i used to be on IRC for a lot of time. My internet is kinda trustworthy, most of the time, it can take me sometime to download stuff but . I fear more my electricity provider...

As I said, I'm a NEET for now, I'll start University in april, and even then I don't think it will eat my whole time so i do think i can use that time helping out. I want to be on the staff to help out people in general, to make them not afraid (or lazy) in offering anything, be it manga/OST/anime/whatever. I feel like people are a bit scared of offering in general because they see the big list and get scared, I want to help out in fixing that.

Forgot to add, Good luck to everyone!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:16:21 am by carks »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga |

Offline Nodame-chan

• Staff
  • コ・イ・シ・テ・ル
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:59:14 am »
Thanks to all current and future applicants.

I would like to ask those who haven't applied yet to take a look at the following forum post: https://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=38382.msg4885000#msg4885000
It has some practical advice, as well as links to other forum posts which contain helpful information.

Good luck to all!
君は忘れるの?
This is what YOU are

Offline Sashamaru

• Staff
  • Making tsunderes dere
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:25:45 am »
Before it becomes an issue, I'd just ask that we please keep the chit-chat to a minimum.
I think this goes without saying, but if you shitpost/rant in this thread you're going to have a bad time.

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!  :)

Offline Xemnarth

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:44:09 am »
I always wanted to be part of the staff, but I always fail before even trying. :)

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 02:42:37 pm »
Before it becomes an issue, I'd just ask that we please keep the chit-chat to a minimum.
I think this goes without saying, but if you shitpost/rant in this thread you're going to have a bad time.

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!  :)
Can I try a 1-week site warning? I haven't experienced something like this and how limited being a site warned. No, seriously. Just a try :) (but I guess that prevents me from commenting on torrent offers)
I've got nothing to download here these days. But a lot of 1080p torrents to seed, that is.

Anyway, I guess I'll introduce myself since I have a lot of free time and laziness to do homework and should have enough bandwidth to download and compare.

I'm a college student at an international school so I also have difficulties in keeping up with a quality education. Not-so-long ago, I started a one-man fansub group. I ended up not finishing Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties since school work got me all the time but everything's planned to be finished, just it will take a lot of time. I trained to become a (certified) computer technician and now studying BS Computer Engineering. I've been here for a year searching through thousands of archives hit-and-running and putting myself onto a ratio debt and figuring out a way to recover and discovering reseeding files and cheating my ratio by download logged out and seed logged in and becoming a power user in order to make my first offer which eventually got rejected on first try making me read the Wiki and using the templates courtesy by staffs that helped un-reject that offer and got my second offer processed first and made me more familiar to BakaBT. Don't ever read that aloud unless you have an O2 tank nearby (I miss the old layout)

I'm quite familiar with the Wiki. But if I had to search something from there, I'll re-read a part of it. Torrent offer system? Part familiar and part not familiar, perhaps. I'm familiar mostly on Anime series. But I guess I have to start familiarizing myself on it. Making comparison wouldn't be that much of a problem for me. But if there's a case of frame de-sync, I guess its either back to the Wiki or run to Google. I know the basics of IRC but I've never been online there unless BakaBT went down again :P. Now, HTML is not my expertise but I know most of it. Perhaps you can check my offers (link on my signature). Those are handcrafted codes, never assisted from something like Dreamweaver (although, most codes are recycled :P). I can communicate in English but I can't ensure that my grammar is correct nor understand an idiomatic expression. I tried comparing audio once using Adobe Audition. It easy to set things up but difficult on deciding which one is the best. You'll need the original ISO CD in order to do that. I don't know how FLAC differentiates from another FLAC so I didn't bother doing it. Maybe I should start learning it? Well, I wouldn't want to do that since ISO CDs are sure to be super rare on the internet.

Anyway, I actually don't need to become a staff and do staff work by making comparison myself or asking uploaders to correct some info but in case you need someone to process some of the offers, I'd help out Laus or Sash to make the comparisons and have them judge the release themselves. Although, judging from my skills, I'm most likely to get rejected. But that doesn't stop me from making comparisons.

Btw, do new staffs get training? or they actually get to work instantly? I'm a novice. AI and Zaraki are up to the task unless they're busier than me.

EDIT: (there are things that I forgot to mention)
I spend time more on to BakaBT. Yes, more time spent on BakaBT, less on Facebook, and never on studying :P. Our internet connection isn't really good at home (1 Mbps for 20$?!). So I only get to work only at the dorm with 5 Mbps for 5 days a week. What's my motivation? Well, staff are pretty busy so I ought to help them out. Besides, some offers are so 10 months ago. This is also for the benefit of Uploaders, Leechers, and staffs as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:39:37 am by ridon428 »

Offline Zaraki

• Staff
  • 皆さんこんにちは!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 04:37:49 pm »
Hi,

I want you to consider me as a staff member. I really like BakaBT, because it’s the best tracker I’ve ever known. The amount of material BakaBT has to offer is huge, but that’s not the most important point. The torrents are actually seeded very well and the descriptions contain all information an average person could need. Not to forget: all offers are getting checked on quality which results on accepting only the best available releases. I like this way of archiving and I want to help keeping BBT on its tracks.
Just seeding and uploading new offers isn’t satisfying for me anymore. The offers list is huge and especially anime takes a very long time before getting accepted.  I want to speed things up by offering my time to the community.

About me:
I’m 22 years old and I’m studying Biomedical Engineering/research. I have two nationalities: Turkish and Dutch. I was born and raised in the Netherlands while having Turkish parents. I’m comfortable using Dutch, Turkish and English. I can comprehend German and I know a little bit of Japanese. I’m afraid my current level of Japanese isn’t useful to the community, but useful enough to get my basic needs in Japan.
I like computer hardware which resulted me in building my own pc. I can play the saz and piano. I’m especially obsessed with classical music and I’m going to learn how to play Sonata No. 8 from Beethoven when the time is right.
I of course like anime and that’s why I found out about BBT.

I’m familiar with the FAQ and Wiki info. I have to admit that I didn’t memorize all small details, but I’m pretty confident about how things work here. I help other community members by answering questions when something is unclear.
As an uploader I know how the torrent offer system works (from an uploaders perspective). I’m especially proud about the remux I made for the community.

I only offered anime so far. I however know on big lines how to offer manga or a soundtrack collection. I want to be useful, so I’m open to learn anything. Secretly I want to specialize on anime, because that’s the major problem I see at the moment.
I made many comparisons of anime and I think I’m getting the hang of it. Almost all of my anime offers are delivered with a comparison. I also got a tip from someone to actually interpret my comparisons. So I took that advice. You can find them here, here, here, here and here. Edit: and here, here, here
I try to capture scenes where encoding problems are the most likely found. (eg. Scenes with large difference of contrast, scenes with a lot of action/movement, places with a lot of details, etc). I started understanding how to make a decision, however I first want to learn what the exact standards for certain points are. I can’t see how staff members are working, so I don’t know how everything is processed yet.
I know the difference between containers and codecs and the difference between lossy and lossless compression. I know the advantages of 10-bit video encoding.

I learnt how to use/access IRC since a few weeks and I even got the opportunity to talk to other members.
About my coding skills. Well, I ‘learnt’ how to code XHTML and CSS at secondary school, but I managed to pass the courses without learning too much. I can understand the source code of any description here at BBT and I can (heavily) modify them to use it on my own offers. Don’t expect me to build a code from scratch. I can proudly show you some of my descriptions:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
I’m a bandwidth junkie, so obtaining anime series within minutes is normal for me. About being a ghost: I really tried my best to get involved as much as possible in the community this year. There’s however one important principle I’m following. I don’t respond to topics/conversations where I don’t have anything to contribute to. So maybe I’m not recognized by some people, but I really wish I’m being recognized. I was very happy to see ridon mentioned me here.  Thanks for acknowledging me!

It’s funny about the fact that I spend more time on BBT than actually watching anime. My goal is to process one (anime) offer each 1 or 2 day(s). I can do staff work for around 2 hours a day. Usually I’m online for even a longer period of time. Like macros mentioned, I also live by CET standards.
I really hope you consider to accept me.  よろしくおねがいします。

Edit: I added more comparisons
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:20:11 pm by Zaraki »

Online macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:39 pm »
Btw, do new staffs get training? or they actually get to work instantly? I'm a novice.
Sure they do, but less training time is more effective, so it's a plus if you've got some comparison experience, hence the preferred requirements.
Then again, blank slates can be nice too, at times, but what do I know?

Anyway, newby staffers always get the gopher jobs at first, like cleaning the blood of Duki's whip (usually daily), ironing Nodame's clothes or keeping the cats out of the server room...  ;)
So yes, you'll be working right away.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:48:25 pm by macros74 »

Offline Xtras

• ~
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:58:29 pm »
Well, I'd like to put myself up for consideration this time around.
Oh wow, this is a surprise. I always thought you were adamantly against taking up the job. Well I think that anybody can attest to how much you've already put into this site. Cheers friend! You should also talk Al Sleeper into applying.  ;)

Offline Nodame-chan

• Staff
  • コ・イ・シ・テ・ル
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 01:44:35 am »
So few applicants this time around too :-\
君は忘れるの?
This is what YOU are

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 04:02:15 am »
Yeah. I wonder if you can hire from those previous applicants.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 04:46:57 am »
Zaraki, Carks and macros74 are higly qualified for it IMO. Quality over quantity as usual ~desu.
keeping the cats out of the server room...  ;)
But..but...I make everyone happy ~nyann
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:32:51 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline 12laus

• Staff
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »
Yeah. I wonder if you can hire from those previous applicants.
If previous applicants still wanted to be considered, they'd reapply.

Offline ridon428

• Personal Site
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 01:15:23 am »
If previous applicants still wanted to be considered, they'd reapply.
I guess that's the logic in there. Would you mind PMing them and asking if they want to re-apply?

Offline Jessie

• Bakuhaku♀♀♀
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 02:01:56 am »
So here goes. Just made my forum account to apply. Kinda nervous as I see the other applicants but what do I have to lose?

Anyway, ever since I came to this website, I've wanted to be part of the staff. I just love the site and thought it'd be cool to work for it, help out the best that I can, whatever needs to be done, let me know and I'll do my best. I know, I practically only know the surface but I can very well start doing other things.

I just graduated high school, now I'm working to save up for college so I have plenty of time to help out with the site. It may get a little stressed when I head back to school but that won't be for a year and I will try my best to get time in on the site everyday.

I feel that I am familiar with the Wiki, haven't gone over it in quiet a bit, not since I first uploaded as I knew what I needed, but I will again, a few times, just in case I'm missing anything.

I am very familiar with the offer system, TV shows and movies I should say though, haven't offered anything else, but I'll learn about that as well to help users when offering if needed. Have about 26 torrents of my own, offered I mean and 58 adoptions. I am not spectacular at making descriptions, almost always go with templates, but I do know the requirements.

I have made a few comparisons myself and think I did well with it, made my own decision on them as well. I also have a seedbox and decent home connection for getting releases for any comparisons needed.

I don't know how I come off to people on this site but in my opinion I am respectable, haven't really had any problems with anyone and won't unless they start something with me, but even then I wouldn't go off.

I haven't used the IRC on here, I'll go on soon but I do know how to use it, go on for other things.

And I think you can all tell that I speak coherent English. :P

I would not say that I am good at coding, I know the very bare essentials (like I said, almost always use templates), but it's better than nothing. Did take computer classes in high school but nothing really stuck with me.

So that's it, I hope you consider me for the site and good luck to everyone else that applied! :)