Author Topic: RIP Shigeru Mizuki, mangaka. Supernatural on Freeleech  (Read 5437 times)

Offline carks

• Staff
  • Everyday is always the best day~
    • muh blog
RIP Shigeru Mizuki, mangaka. Supernatural on Freeleech
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »
This year we have had great things, and with that we also get bad things. Last monday, the whole anime and manga industry lost another pillar.

Shigeru Mizuki, for those who didn't know, was an...eccentric mangaka, to say the least. He went to WW2 and came back without an arm, but that didn't stop him from making manga. He started from nothing, even without a whole arm, and became one of the most known mangaka in Japan. He didn't have much fame with the Western audience because only just recently (around 4-6 years) we have started to get more of his works. But he started a whole sub-genre thanks to GeGeGe no Kitaro, he made incredible biographical works like Showa and showing more about Japan's history in that era, even at the age of 93 he still made manga, he even made a manga about Hitler!

But, not to go too far from the topic, we just want to say, Good-bye Shigeru Mizuki, most of us probably didn't exactly know you, or were familiar with most of your work, but you had a big impact for Manga and Anime, creating incredible and intelligent stories.  You didn't live a short life, you lived a lot more compared to your friends (Ishinomori Shotaro, Tezuka Osamu, Yokoyama Mitsuru, etc etc), and we still hope you lived your life fully. Have fun, wherever you are, you glutton!

As a tribute to Mizuki-sensei and to celebrate his life we are making the Supernatural, Horror and his keyword freeleech till the end of the week.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:12:23 pm by Duki3003 »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga |

Offline buchno

Re: RIP Shigeru Mizuki, mangaka. Supernatural on Freeleech
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:41:54 pm »
Rest in peace.

I only ever got to know you through The Great Yokai War. Should rectify that.

Offline ANDARIAL

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:03 pm »
 :no:
R.I.P.

Offline Global

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »
Like many others it seems, I knew very little about him until he died.  I knew some of his works, but never connected the dots to the man himself.  Seems he was quite the character, and not afraid to say what he thought.  An original to say the least.  RIP

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:50 pm »
Skaro Hunting Society has been subbing the 1968 and 1971 GeGeGe no Kitarou animes for a long, long time now:

https://skarohuntingsociety.wordpress.com

He also subbed several of the movies, some of which are on BakaBT.

Offline stalcom

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:38:03 am »
So saddened to hear of Mr. Mizuki's passing.

Thank you for your invaluable contributions to humanity, and may you rest in eternal peace.

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:20:11 am »
Another great soul moves on.. If you ever see an yōkai in your house, don't be afraid.

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:34:59 am »
Another great soul moves on.. If you ever see an yōkai in your house, don't be afraid.

Unless it's Nezumi Otoko, then you should be somewhat afraid, as he's usually planning something.  :laugh:

Offline carks

• Staff
  • Everyday is always the best day~
    • muh blog
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:18:00 am »
Or he might punch you and then teach you about something totally usele-*gets punched*

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga |

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
I got my cat charms

Offline hahhah42

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 11:16:02 am »
...he even made a manga about Hitler!
Speaking of which, Drawn & Quarterly recently published Hitler in English. They've stepped up their Mizuki releases of late, hopefully they'll keep them coming.

As for Mizuki's passing, if any person out there was ever truly prepared to embrace his own end, he was. I certainly hope to learn from his example before my time comes...

Offline Subterra

• Subterrestrial
    • Subterrestrial Electronic Music
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »
R.I.P. Sensei

last.fm she ain't what she used to be :'(