Author Topic: The General Cat Chat Thread 4  (Read 463366 times)

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: The General Cat Chat Thread 4
« Reply #18460 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:47 pm »
Lol concrete. Ordinary concrete has a life expectancy of 70 years - its the worst thing you could build your house with.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #18461 on: February 23, 2017, 07:21:12 pm »
Just use ancient roman concrete, it still lasts, look at coliseum.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18462 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »
Just use ancient roman concrete, it still lasts, look at coliseum.
If only we could

Offline blackhole

« Reply #18463 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »
I'm well aware of that, bro.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #18464 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:49 am »
Why don't you guys use chemical treatment on the wood to prevent that? The plywood we ship for termite countries is treated to keep them away so I imagine such a thing would be possible for construction wood too. Probably a price issue but having a house that doesn't fall on you seems like a thing you'd be willing to pay for. ;D

My place had a termite treatment before I bought the house 11 years ago but not since.  And my house is over 30 years old.  Keep in mind where I live -- a hot, sunny, humid place.  Even painted/treated wood deteriorates over time.  There are a couple of panels outside that will need to be replaced within a few years.  I can't speak to what was done when the house was built of course.  But getting a treatment and/or bond done now will be an added incentive for whoever buys the house next.  I have no idea what price to expect.  If it's like $500 or less, I'll do it.  If it's more than that, I probably won't.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #18465 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:58 am »
Imagine the acoustic qualities  ;D

I'm imagining the weird EM effects such a structure produces.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #18466 on: February 24, 2017, 05:40:29 am »

it'll be well grounded and well shielded that wifi/bt/radio signals will get much less range and it won't cross rooms.
for these signals the entire house would appear like a blackhole.

on the other hand, you'd be well protected against EMP attacks and lightning strikes.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18467 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:54 am »
You'd be more likely to suffer lightning strikes. You would certainly NOT be protected. You know how a lightning rod works, right? It is an isolated metal pole at the highest point of a structure that is grounded on its own line. It attracts lightning away from other areas of the building due to having the least resistance and shortest path to the ground (or, both ways really, since lightning travels up, as well as down)

Making the whole house out of steel turns the entire thing into a lightning rod and you do not want to be inside such a structure without being grounded yourself.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #18468 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:58 am »

it'll be well grounded and well shielded that wifi/bt/radio signals will get much less range and it won't cross rooms.

on the other hand, you'd be well protected against EMP attacks and lightning strikes.
Far from the truth XD

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18469 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:02 am »
You'd be more likely to suffer lightning strikes. You would certainly NOT be protected. You know how a lightning rod works, right? It is an isolated metal pole at the highest point of a structure that is grounded on its own line. It attracts lightning away from other areas of the building due to having the least resistance and shortest path to the ground (or, both ways really, since lightning travels up, as well as down)

Making the whole house out of steel turns the entire thing into a lightning rod and you do not want to be inside such a structure without being grounded yourself.

thats a myth (the not safe part), otherwise there'd be countless deaths on Eiffel tower.
or even steel boats on a stormy sea, or a plane on that matter, planes do get struck by lightning.

what if xkcd did an article on this in fact (chapter 16), being inside the cabin of a steel boat is safer than an open deck.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:46:04 am by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #18470 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
Eiffel tower is protected, just so you know, it has a history of attracting lightning, but they actually did some stuff to make it safe.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18471 on: February 24, 2017, 11:50:01 am »
Eiffel tower is protected, just so you know, it has a history of attracting lightning, but they actually did some stuff to make it safe.
exactly, so why would a steel house be anymore dangerous?

and for the record, eiffel tower didn't have a lightning protection system when it was first built.
the reason they added one is because the lightning strikes was messing up the steel structure.
year 1902: A lightning strike damaged the upper section of the Eiffel Tower, requiring the reconstruction of its top
yet no news of death by lightning strike was known nor announced.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:26:39 pm by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #18472 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:48 pm »
The inside of the tower should work like the Faradai cage tho.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #18473 on: February 24, 2017, 03:31:58 pm »

Lightning tends to take the fastest route to the ground and if you're in something steel that is touching the ground that means it's super conductive compared to human flesh. It'll just go straight through the steel and to the ground. The same concept applies to walking out during a lightning storm wearing a full suit of steel medieval armor. You could be struck by lightning and be unharmed because it'd go through the metal rather than you and right to the ground. You'd be less safe under a tree without a suit of armor. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxDgd3D_bU

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #18474 on: February 24, 2017, 06:30:22 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/23/wikipedia-bot-editing-war-study

“The fights between bots can be far more persistent than the ones we see between people,” said Taha Yasseri, who worked on the study at the Oxford Internet Institute. “Humans usually cool down after a few days, but the bots might continue for years.”

It is not the first time that AIs have run into trouble. In 2011, scientists in the US recorded a conversation between two chatbots. They bickered from the start and ended up arguing about God.

“Often people are concerned about what AI systems will ultimately do to people,” he said. “But what this and similar work suggests is that what AI systems might do to each other might be far more interesting. And this isn’t just limited to software systems – it’s true also for physically embodied AI. Imagine ACLU drones watching over police drones, and vice versa. It’s going to be interesting.”

Suddenly the future robot war seems more likely to be robot versus robot than human versus robot. I'm not sure how to react to this.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18475 on: February 24, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
You'd still be dead, tiff. Lightning striking the armor would superheat the air, causing the moisture filled interior to explode, pretty much.
If you didn't, you'd still get seriously burnt from your skin touching the metal.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #18476 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »

Depends on the construction, if it's only the outter shell that's made out of steel, you'll have a perfectly reasonable WiFi/BT signal inside the place. Your mobile will however suffer, but you can always install a pass through signal booster for that.

You would be more likelly to suffer lightning strikes, yes. However they wouldn't really matter, beyond the deafening sound. As far as conducters are concerned there's a thing called the skin effect. If you take say a wire, due to the interaction from various forces, a changing current flowing inside of it gets cancelled out.

So in a changing current system, you can have a wire that's hollow inside and it will have the exact some properties if it weren't. The house would work in the same manner. The current would only interact with a few mm of the outside of the shell of the house.

GRANTED, the part that will have current flow through it will heat up. However, that becomes a question of surface area/mass of the steel structure and how much current it gets from th lightning. That's not something I can think of mentally while sitting in a passengers seat in a car.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #18477 on: February 24, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
One cheesy comment about a \m/etal house and here were are.

XD

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18478 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:33 pm »
You'd still be dead, tiff. Lightning striking the armor would superheat the air, causing the moisture filled interior to explode, pretty much.
If you didn't, you'd still get seriously burnt from your skin touching the metal.
nope, otherwise airplanes would've already blown up by getting struck by lightning.
all those electrical equipments, sensitive to even phone signals (myth), compared to a lightning strike? pfft.

on the contrary though, the lightning strike is actually very abrupt.
lightning strikes only lasts a couple of microseconds, the overall power delivered is actually much smaller.
in such that ohmic heating on the metal conductors barely registers the surge of lightning as destructive.
otherwise we'd see all those lightning protection systems burnt to a crisp every time a lightning strikes it.

on that note, getting struck by lightning either directly or indirectly, the actual death is actually from cardiac arrest and not by turning into a human charcoal.

One cheesy comment about a \m/etal house and here were are.

XD
because its an interesting topic?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:47:21 pm by kitamesume »

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18479 on: February 24, 2017, 09:21:07 pm »
Cloudfare has had a database leak.
https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare

Now is a good time to change your passwords across any sites that use cloudfare.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:27:21 pm by Krudda »