Author Topic: BakaBT joins the internet strike!  (Read 44230 times)

Offline m021

Re: BakaBT joins the internet strike!
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:55 am »
On January 18th BakaBT will join the strike against internet censorship. Our services as well as the tracker will be unavailable from 8AM-8PM EST. Only our forum will remain open to allow discussion for all interested - topic.

On Jan 24th, Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill - PIPA in the Senate and SOPA in the House - to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity. We need internet companies to follow Reddit's lead and stand up for the web, as we internet users are doing every day.

Take action:
http://americancensorship.org/
http://sopastrike.com/

Update: SOPA and PIPA have both been shelved indefinitely! See here for more details!

I realy don't understand why this site goes blank to strike against the SOPA and PIPA. ??? This site has no goverment interests what so ever, so the effects will be unnoticed... (Exccept for there users). If you realy want to strike, join a protest-group.

Its good to know that SOPA and PIPA are shelved.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2012, 11:45:05 am »
You really do not understand how strike works, do you?

The strike is not meant to prevent US politicians from getting their daily dose of anime, rather to raise awareness to our 200000+ users about SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and any other form of censorship that are bestowed upon us by governments.
As you can see, it bore some fruit, not a complete victory but something was achieved nonetheless.

Offline Alexiell

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2012, 06:23:13 pm »
I realy don't understand why this site goes blank to strike against the SOPA and PIPA. ??? This site has no goverment interests what so ever, so the effects will be unnoticed... (Exccept for there users). If you realy want to strike, join a protest-group.

Don't think cuz they aren't yet censoring us, they won't come for us (bakabt). During nazism many ppl closed their eyes to the 'minorities' thinking 'I have nothing to do with this' and later on they become a 'minority' too. It's a harsh comparison, but every big fire started with a small spark.

Online metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:43 am »

Don't think cuz they aren't yet censoring us, they won't come for us (bakabt). During nazism many ppl closed their eyes to the 'minorities' thinking 'I have nothing to do with this' and later on they become a 'minority' too. It's a harsh comparison, but every big fire started with a small spark.

Jesus man that's left fucking field.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
BTjunkie shuts down for good.

You did well not only to change your site to .me, but I think the best idea is to change its name to another for safety reasons. I'm fearing that you guys are also targeted by the anime corporations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:34:21 am by Tannosuke »
Born to like catgirls.

Staff Edit: Signature removed.
 http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/Rules#Forum_Ava.2FSig_Guidelines

Offline Truyentrah

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »
There are many of questions that I would like to have an answer, because not all info about some issues I know:

Is there, by any chance, that the bakabt are prone to the legal actions despite that licensed animes were blacklisted?

What about fansubber groups?

Is BTJunkie's shut down has also Mega-Upload's same or similar cause?

Although SOPA and PIPA were shelved and Mega-Upload shut down due to money laundering case (am I right about that info?), why suddenly top web file hosting and torrent sites tightened (i.e. deletion of such files, premium accounts, shutting down their websites, etc. )--- of which i don't see the relevance of it (specially to SOPA and PIPA)?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:40:30 pm by Truyentrah »
Now I'm nowhere, yet I can be anywhere. Therefore, I'm here.

Offline lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
There are many of questions that I would like to have an answer, because not all info about some issues I know:

Is there, by any chance, that the bakabt are prone to the legal actions despite that licensed animes were blacklisted?

I'd say BakaBT is endangered, since Japan sigend the treaty. The material (literally mangas, animes, soundtracks, hentais and so on) is copyrighted in japan, if not in some other countries. As such they are copyright infringements (which I think is stupid because it's hard to get these things outside of japan).

What about fansubber groups?

That actually is a very interesting question. If these fansub groups actually buy the DVDs or the series, I think they will be alright as long as they don't spread their work (or rather as long as they only make their subs without the video files available). The video files would be  a copyright infringement.

Is BTJunkie's shut down has also Mega-Upload's same or similar cause?

Although SOPA and PIPA were shelved and Mega-Upload shut down due to money laundering case (am I right about that info?), why suddenly top web file hosting and torrent sites tightened (i.e. deletion of such files, premium accounts, shutting down their websites, etc. )--- of which i don't see the relevance of it (specially to SOPA and PIPA)?

Those are a lot harder to answer. For the first one, I'd say yes, without even trying to read through the official reasons it was closed. They decided to close down before they are targeted by any laws and held responsible. That way the chances to keep any money that they made to themselves rises. Actually most filehosters seem to be doing something along this train of thought.

As for the last question: it's fear. To spread fear is probably the only reason why MU was targeted after SOPA and PIPA were shelved. If anyone could make a statistic of copyright infringements before and after MU was closed they'd probably notice a massive drop. Not because the users got scared, but the companies that made money out of it and that would be held responsible.

Some updates:

Both poland and the czech republic have withheld the ratification of the agreement for now (due to the massive pressure through demonstrations). Well, the government party of the czech republic (ODS) might've been scare after the adresses of 27k members were released Oo Actually it would be considered a form of terrorism if anything happened, so I'm surpriseed they gave in so easily.

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #267 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »
Awareness AND concern are both important which is why it is useful for BakaBT to have joined the strike.  The great majority of anime fans in my area still do NOT care.  Some of them were more angry at megaupload for letting itself go down than at the government for the way it cracked down.  In other words, those anime fans are so myopically selfish that they have no concern for other fans or anime fandom's ecosystem.  It's always someone else's responsibility to make the goodies available to handover to them.

Meanwhile, you've got to wonder if the japanese companies are becoming more like american companies about derivitive works being prosecutable violations.  USA companies do not allow things like doujinshi sales.   For example, Shogakukan is anti-doujin at their website:
Shogakukan forbids the following unauthorised usages of our publications on the Internet or intranets:

Posting pictures, in whole or in part, of the binding or pages of our publications.

Posting the contents or tables of contents of our publications.

Posting plot summaries or derivative stories and similar based on our publications.

Posting pictures or photographs, in whole or in part, of our characters.

Posting your own pictures (illustrations or parodies, etc.) of our characters.

Modifying our characters (including your own images) or publications for use in software, icons, wallpapers. etc.

Posting the contents of the Shogakukan homepage (pictures, data, or source) in whole or in part.

The above acts, whether commercial or non-commercial in character, are acts of copyright infringement. Those who do not respect these guidelines may find themselves subject to legal action, so please be warned.

I have no way to gauge how effective such a warning is at reducing the number of doujins about Shogakukan products.  But it's true that there are very few doujins for Shogakukan anime/manga sold at any online store.  So it must be sort of working.

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:09 am »
Well, we'll go on a global riot against ACTA at 11th February. Be prepared!
Born to like catgirls.

Offline lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »
Another minor update concerning ACTA: Slovenia decided on not ratifying for now. Well, I guess this saturday will make the governments rethink their opinions.

Offline Meomix

• For our glorious order
    • MAL
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:53 am »
Shits becoming ludicrous.

Offline Tannosuke

• Anime and J-RPG fan!
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »
Hey, what's this X Episodes? :S
Born to like catgirls.

Offline Meomix

• For our glorious order
    • MAL
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »
Hey, what's this X Episodes? :S

American video streaming site, ER, Simpsons, House, etc.

Speaking of house i got to check up on the latest episode summary.

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »
There's been a lack of One Piece and Bleach doujinshi from Comiket 81 (C81), so perhaps Shogakukan (the founding company of VIZ and Shueisha) managed to scare off most of the doujin makers for their titles.  Fairy Tail was bad enough, but it's a bit sad adding One Piece to the doujin ban pile too.

At some point, though not yet, I'd say it's better they and the authors go out of business than to have them disallow fandom unless that part of fandom is something that pays them licensing fees or royalties.  Paying them ROYALties implies they function in some ways like a new nobility.

Offline InuKun07

« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2012, 03:23:19 am »
And SOPA has returned to Congress in the form of CISPA (Cyber Intelligence Sharing Protection Act), which allows private corporations along with local, state and the federal government levels to shut a website down for (amongst other things) intellectual property theft as a "Cyber Threat". In other words, as an example, a company could simply have BakaBT shut down for hosting a product they own the rights to, claiming that BakaBT is committing a Cyber Terrorism Threat by stealing their intellectual property. Also all user information would be allowed to be shared by the host server with the government, private security agencies and the company which claimed BakaBT was in violation, with no regulation on how such info may be handled or used.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:25:10 am by InuKun07 »

Offline elvikun

• Coffee Addict
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:46 am »
Since the first topic, checked it a bit more ... Frankly, SOPA was bad. Period. CISPA is bad. And stupid. I doubt this will pass regardless of people's opinion. This would get picked apart, swallowed and spit out by lawyers. Especially considering some of the most poworfull "net-companies" are not supportive of it. They slightly overdid it with the extre,e privacy violation. I mean, stands above ALL privacy laws and collected data might be used for basically any purpose including but not limited to advertising? That's a law?
"The only way we'll make it out alive... is if we don't get killed!"

Offline thedragon

« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2012, 12:00:27 pm »
It all comes down to one thing.... Money.  If there is the possiblity that our (U.S.) government is losing out on tax dollars (from the earnings of Funimation and other companies and artists that make these animes or music or any other copyright material), then they will keep trying to ban it.  Every anime, music album, mp3, book, computer application, etc... downloaded online without paying for it, is less money in their pocket.  BTW I'm against SOPA and PIPA, not because I'm worried about not getting things for free.  If I like an anime, I buy it so that I support them and encourage more releases.  I'm against it because it is just ONE step toward more government control.  Look at China's strict internet policies and what is allowed.  If you control information, then it is easier to control the people.  If you've never known that you could do something, then you won't expect it.  It was common practice to outlaw slaves to learn how to read in the U.S. because of fear of them getting too much education and becoming difficult to control.  SOPA and PIPA are a step in the same direction.  We enjoy the "privledges" that we are allowed, only because there are too many of us to just take them away.  How many of you "google" something when you don't know the answer?  Or use the internet in some way to find out how to do something or what something means?  Probably most of us.  I know I do!  Some of you may even google U.S. slavery after reading this.  The fact is that SOPA and PIPA allow the government the opportunity to restrict the information available to you for ANY site that even has a link to "copyrighted" material.  That means if the new music video or copyrighted material came up in a google search, that google could face fines or possible shutdown if it was not removed immediately.  Imagine how difficult that would be for google to stay in compliance with the 100,000's of hits just one of those searches would pull up.  It is the restriction of information that I am against.  This country was found on the principles of freedom and those are slowly being taken away.

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal