Author Topic: Anime suggestions for a newb  (Read 311 times)

Offline An Edguy

Anime suggestions for a newb
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:29:22 am »
So I recently started to watch anime again and I'm looking for some good series. I'm kinda open to anything, but other than the stuff that everyone has seen and loved (FMA:B, Bebop, GitS:SAC), the stuff I've liked the most have been adventure comedies with smart/selv-aware writing and diverse characters. The shows I've seen of this kind are Zvezda Plot, KonoSuba and The Seven Deadly Sins. These shows all had a mix of character development, subverted tropes, lewd humor and sarcasm and good animation, so stuff like that should probably hit home.

Generally I prefer scifi/fantasy settings, but it's absolutely not necessary.

I really dislike shows that are stupid/campy, but think they're really clever/dark. (Hellsing was a good example of a series that though it was really cool and edgy, but to me just came of as plain dumb.)

Forced drama is the bane of my existence. Shows not knowing how to make something interesting happen, and thus have to force some drama by characters being stupid/ignorant is a big downside.

I like shows that has some character growth. This goes both character development and physical stuff. Like, it's really weird to me when the characters does a lot of stuff, but never change in any way. For example, if they work out a lot, it's cool to see that they actually get in better shape.

Sarcasm and wry humor is nice.

Sexual themes and lewd humor is nice, in moderation. (For example, it was ok in KonoSuba except for the succubus episode and the neck band episode, where it was slightly too much for my taste.)

If a show has more than one season/is ongoing that's a bonus, but I'll obviously check out stuff that's just a single season as well.

So yeah, sorry for wall of text, and thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:33:52 am by An Edguy »

Offline Tanis

Re: Anime suggestions for a newb
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:58:01 am »
Magi?

Banner/Crest of the Stars?

Overlord?

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:16:40 am »
So I recently started to watch anime again and I'm looking for some good series. I'm kinda open to anything, but other than the stuff that everyone has seen and loved (FMA:B, Bebop, GitS:SAC), the stuff I've liked the most have been adventure comedies with smart/selv-aware writing and diverse characters. The shows I've seen of this kind are Zvezda Plot, KonoSuba and The Seven Deadly Sins. These shows all had a mix of character development, subverted tropes, lewd humor and sarcasm and good animation, so stuff like that should probably hit home.

Generally I prefer scifi/fantasy settings, but it's absolutely not necessary.

I really dislike shows that are stupid/campy, but think they're really clever/dark. (Hellsing was a good example of a series that though it was really cool and edgy, but to me just came of as plain dumb.)

Forced drama is the bane of my existence. Shows not knowing how to make something interesting happen, and thus have to force some drama by characters being stupid/ignorant is a big downside.

I like shows that has some character growth. This goes both character development and physical stuff. Like, it's really weird to me when the characters does a lot of stuff, but never change in any way. For example, if they work out a lot, it's cool to see that they actually get in better shape.

Sarcasm and wry humor is nice.

Sexual themes and lewd humor is nice, in moderation. (For example, it was ok in KonoSuba except for the succubus episode and the neck band episode, where it was slightly too much for my taste.)

If a show has more than one season/is ongoing that's a bonus, but I'll obviously check out stuff that's just a single season as well.

So yeah, sorry for wall of text, and thanks in advance!

From the 1970s:

Galaxy Express 999 TV series
Captain Harlock TV Series
All 5 Space Battleship Yamato Movies and its first 2 TV series
Kinnikuman
Rose of Versailles

From the 1980s:

Dragon Ball
Dr. Slump
Space Adventure Cobra
City Hunter
Sakigake! Otokujuku
Akira movie
Armored Trooper Votoms
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 TV series
Zeta Gundam

From the 1990s:

Slam Dunk
Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie)
Banner/Crest of the Stars
Vision of Escaflowne
Detective Conan / Case Closed
One Piece
Crayon Shin-chan

Online Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:22:01 am »
I'll rec you what I rec everyone else because more people need to watch these shows!  :angel:

Mushishi
Natsume Yuujinchou
Seirei no Moribito
Kemono no Souja Erin
Shinsekai Yori
Darker Than Black
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
Kino no Tabi
Saraiya Goyou
Terra e
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:29:06 am by Ozzaharwood »

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 03:35:30 am »
If you like stories:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Light-theme anime:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

These are pretty much of what I have watched and what I can recommend to you. Light-theme anime are fun to watch but don't expect much character development.

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:01 am »

/hi5

here's some recent ones that you'll probably like:
Mob Psycho 100 - if you can tolerate the art style
Reikenzan - kinda slow, focuses on one character
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - slow, top tier otherwise (very little comedy)
Alderamin on the Sky

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:59 am »
Well, going by your requests, I'd probably recommend the following (in no particular order). Several are suggestions I make to almost everybody.

Steins;Gate - Somewhat serious and at the same time very aloof. Gets pretty serious around halfway into episode 6 and just spirals further from there.
My Otome (mai otome / my Z-HiME) - Moe fights. Basically it's girls in powered suits battling each other and giant monsters. Its nothing special, but it's less lewd and more plot driven (though still has the odd ecchi scene) than most shows of it's type.
A certain scientific railgun (toaru kagaku no railgun) - This one might need the not-as-good A certain magical Index, to get the full story / enjoyment. Lots of action and plot. Sometimes feels a bit forced, but it's still a very nice show.
Shakugan no Shana. - Mostly an action show. Typical boy meets supernatural girl, they go on a "journey" together. The third season really kicks it up a notch though. The manga is recommended, but not necessary, to understand the events of the third season.
The future diary (mirrai nikki) - Yandere's are awesome, and this one is no exception.
Eden of the East - Guy wakes up with no memory (or clothes) and a massive fortune of money linked to a special phone. What would you do?
Madoka Magica - Generic magical girl anime with a very dark spin on things. The series is mostly fan service (not ecchi) but still really good.

Probably more that I don't really remember off the top of my head.

Offline An Edguy

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
Thank you all for suggestions, I'll have a look to see what catches my interest! ;D

Mob Psycho 100 - if you can tolerate the art style

Oh, I forgot to mention Mob Psycho and One Punch Man, I loved those! (Reigen might be my favorite anime character ever/so far!)

Offline undetz

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:50 am »
Did you watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet?

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:29 am »
Seeing as I'm headed for bed, I'll just leave you with these two recommendations for now.

-Outlaw Star:  Kind of like Bebop but with a bit more goofy
-Those who Hunt Elves: Really goofy and it was a good series to watch after I saw Gantz the first time.  Good mental cleanser.

Good night all.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:25 am »
S C H O O L   D A Y S
C
H
O
O
L

D
A
Y
S C H O O L   D A Y S

Online DespondenSea

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 04:02:49 am »
Fate/Zero is a 10/10 from me, and I don't give out 10/10s.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:12:04 am »
I tend to recommend Code Geass and Death Note to people that are brand new to anime. You can check the list in my signature and sort by rating to see all the ones I thought were 10's but not all of them would really be suited to someone new to anime.

If you want a drama, try NANA.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:26 am »
I also like to suggest you find something NON anime and fine an anime like it.

It's a great way to 'ease' into it by watching something with familiar elements.

Offline ErebusAngel

• I'm no dummy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
Going by Konosuba and Seven Deadly Sins, similar anime I can think of would be:

Maoyuu Mao Yuusha   -   Fantasy. Very similar to Konosuba. With varied, interesting characters but due to the short length, doesn't delve deeply into each. Great watch regardless.
Log Horizon                -   RPG / fantasy. Frequently compared to SAO but much more like Maoyuu Mao Yuusha. Also with diverse interesting characters and plot.
Utawarerumono          -   Fantasy. Relatively more serious in tone and action packed but with comedic elements.
Tower of Druaga         -   Fantasy. Also similar to Konosuba in handling tropes. First episode is genius. Decent plot. A bit standard characters. Watch for the comedy.
No game No Life         -   Alternate World/ Fantasy. lighthearted tone. Good humor. Interesting main characters but not so much for rest of the cast
Baccano                     -   Past/ Fantasy. Very action packed with great plot and characters. With blood, gore, and some humor.
Durarara                     -   Modern World/ Fantasy. From the maker of baccano
Full Metal Panic          -   1st and last season have action and comedy. Fumoffu is still one of my favorite comedies.
Angel Beats               -    Afterlife/ Fantasy. Mostly comedy with also with very good drama. If you're familiar with Key, you know what to expect
Blood Lad                  -   Not much of a plot or characters but with good comedy and action
Akatsuki no Yona       -  fairly standard plot with great execution. Good balance of serious and comedic elements
Silent waters run deep.
Silent humans, on the other hand, are usually just asleep.