Author Topic: New category icon set and security updates  (Read 19481 times)

Offline AsaNoHikari

Re: New category icon set and security updates
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:49 am »
The old icons were 65 px x 37 px.  The new icons are 89 px x 50 px.  That's 1.85 times larger than before.

I can live with the fact that I think the icons are ugly, mismatched and not readily distinguishable, but they are absolutely huge on my 4k, 24" monitor.  About 3/8" x 5/8", and that's with only 125% scaling instead of the standard 200%.  They're about twice as tall as the average entry in the browse list, which produces tons of wasted space.  That means less stuff on the screen, more time scrolling through lists, and more time spent trying to find what you want.  If you're worried about readability, they still look perfectly fine when scaled far below the old size--if anything, they look better at that size.

Offline dirb

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2016, 06:20:23 am »
Transmission should be fairly easy, it's got a JSON API, so it's easily scripted.
In fact it is more simple with transmission, transmission come with a cli utility called transmission-edit that it can modify torrent files announce urls, its man page come with a example of updating tracker passcode:
Code: sh [Select]

transmission-edit -r old-passcode new-passcode ~/.config/transmission/torrents/*\.torrent

it work also to update the port number, just change old-passcode to 2710 and new-passcode to 8443
dirb (dirb is really brid (brid really is dirb))

Offline xgraphy

• Former Staff
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:35 pm »
There is a stylish script to restore old icons here: https://userstyles.org/styles/127264/bakabt-restore-old-icons
It also has a light novel icon.

Offline Aemony

• return void;
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »
There is a stylish script to restore old icons here: https://userstyles.org/styles/127264/bakabt-restore-old-icons

Many thanks.
[Sig removed for being too awesome]

Offline sumeragix

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »
Thx. Now the entries are no longer spaced so much.
I have one problem though: the "new" LN icon does show but not the other old ones. My browser tells me that http://www.bakabt.me/images/icons.png is currently unavailable  ???

Offline AsaNoHikari

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:08 pm »

Much obliged!

Offline Nui

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:04 pm »
The aliasing is bad :(. Is that my browsers fault? Not that it matters, since it happens with Chrome, Vivaldi, IE and Firefox. Only edge seems to blur them... so much it makes it even worse.

thx!

And now that I tested the old icons, its obvious the new ones just waste space. And forget that lower than 1080p nonsense. I'd waste screen space on these, no matter what resolution I use (which is 1080p btw).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:51:09 pm by Nui »

Offline Harusame

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2016, 03:43:57 am »

Thank you so much! Too bad we have to resort to using 3rd party plugins to get a choice in the matter.

Offline BONKERS

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2016, 06:35:10 am »
The new icons actually look well proportioned to me. An option to resize them wouldn't hurt though.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:57 am »
The new icons actually look well proportioned to me. An option to resize them wouldn't hurt though.

I also think they're well proportioned. You have enough room for:
Torrent Title
Two lines of keywords.

I don't know what everyone else here is seeing, but at 100% zoom this is how I see BBT on a desktop:

Notice how the icon is pretty much the same height as two lines of keywords?

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2016, 09:14:17 am »
I just noticed that Light novel has small letter "n" instead of "N". Is it a mistake or just natural?

Edit: If you are still listening to suggestions, I'd like to suggest that the "uploaded" icon be replaced with an icon of an arrow up. We all know that Arrow up means "upload" in some part of the internet ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:22:13 am by ridon428 »

Offline Aemony

• return void;
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:10 pm »

I also think they're well proportioned. You have enough room for:
Torrent Title
Two lines of keywords.

I don't know what everyone else here is seeing, but at 100% zoom this is how I see BBT on a desktop:

Notice how the icon is pretty much the same height as two lines of keywords?

Before: http://i.imgur.com/N1b2gxL.png
After: http://i.imgur.com/RTcMypi.png

(tip: open both in a tab each and switch between them to make the difference obvious)

Do you notice how the same amount of information now for some reason takes up additional height?

#

Since my previous replies in this thread is hardly any help at all I've listed all issues and concerns I have regarding the new icons in the list below. Hopefully this will help the designer further.

• The category icons overall seem to be a mismatch of styles.
  • The category icons are slightly big.
  • The text size on the category icons are slightly big and distracts from the torrent title.
  • The non-existent kerning on the icons makes me believe I'm over at /r/keming with my eyes bleeding.
  • The light novel icon doesn't stand out enough from the background.
  • The soundtrack icon doesn't stand out enough from the background.
  • The music video icon doesn't stand out enough from the background (though at least it stands out a bit more than the above).
  • What is the orange thing on the OVA icon even supposed to illustrate? I get the disc, but what is the other thing the disc is hiding behind?
  • Why use a HD svg icon that doesn't scale well down to 16x16 ? The 'HD' text is completely unreadable.
  • Why is a microphone icon used to illustrate lossless quality?
  • Why is a hourglass icon used to illustrate the incomplete nature of a torrent? An hourglass is a visual interpretation of time passing. Ergo, an hourglass icon is better to indicate 'Work in Progress'. A torrent containing an incomplete archive of everything available is not the same as a 'work in progress' torrent. An hourglass icon says more about the nature of the data contained within the torrent, than the actual torrent itself. The old

Hourglass == Work in Progress == The material contained within the torrent is still being worked on; ongoing.

The old icon of an incomplete paper is better to illustrate that the torrent is incomplete; the torrent doesn't contain everything available.

If a torrent only contains 8 chapters of the 9 that were published in a manga, is an hourglass really the best icon to represent that the torrent is missing data?

At the core of it the new icons suffers from the same issue that the old icons also did: They both include a visual representation of an object as well as a text describing that same object.

There is absolutely no reason why the icon should include TEXT of all things. A good icon speaks for itself, however both these icons and the old ones requires additional description using text since the visual representations are bad enough that no one can infer what the icon indicates without reading the text.

The only good example of correct icons in both the new icons and the old ones are the Manga, Hentai Manga and Artbook icons (+ the 'old' Light Novel icon). These all follow the same design regardless of type of content because they're all books of some kind, whether that be a hentai manga book, a normal manga book, an artbook or a visual novel.

We only have 11 different categories. These can be divided into the following types:
Books: Manga, Hentai Manga, Artbook, Light Novel
Videos: Anime Series, OVA, Hentai OVA, Anime Movie, Music Video, Live Action
Music: Soundtrack

That allows us to make a Venn diagram that looks something like this:

From there the work is simple. Design a base template for Books, Videos, Music and Hentai. Use a combination of Books + Hentai to indicate Hentai Manga, Videos + Hentai to indicate Hentai OVAs, and Videos + Music to indicate Music Videos. The rest can use easily recognizable images to separate between the subcategories in each.

With a design like that you won't even need text on the icons, because the icons speaks for themselves regardless of format.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:22:48 pm by macros74 »
[Sig removed for being too awesome]

Offline akuu

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »
Horrible icons ... coarse ... seem icons of a low quality web site  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Were much better pictures than before  ;)

Offline Mcorther

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »
/BIG POST/

Thanks for that, you've summed up all my rarely spoken sentiments at least. Developing an alternative on userstyles will probably be the path of least friction, imo though.

I doubt any more ranting and raving will get anything changed.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2016, 09:25:10 pm »
I just noticed that Light novel has small letter "n" instead of "N". Is it a mistake or just natural?
Hmm, well it's inconsistent with how the new "Music Video" and "Live Action" icons are written in title case, so I think it's probably worth changing it to "Light Novel."

Offline Jio

« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
The only good example of correct icons in both the new icons and the old ones are the Manga, Hentai Manga and Artbook icons (+ the 'old' Light Novel icon). These all follow the same design regardless of type of content because they're all books of some kind, whether that be a hentai manga book, a normal manga book, an artbook or a visual novel.
Do we actually have visual novels on bbt? And if yes, why didnt they get their own category?
Or did you mean light novels?

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:04 pm »
There was never an 'old' Light Novel icon. The 'Manga' icon was substituted.

Offline AsaNoHikari

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41:00 am »
Wall of Awesomeness
You got a lot of the stuff I noticed, but here's a few more points:

Shape:  On most of them, the icon is limited to the right 40% of the image, but in three of them hentai OVA, soundtrack and series, the icon spans the entire image.  Why?  There's no relation between these three, so the shape of the icon isn't actually giving us any information, despite how much it stands out.

Style:  I don't really like the skeomorphic style, but if you're going to use it, you should use it on all of the icons.  Light novel has some pseudo-3-D styling; OVA looks like a disc behind some weird cylinder (yeah, WTF is that); series, hentai OVA and live action have gradients.  Pick a style and apply it to all of the icons, mix and match looks like crap.

Color:  The color of the icon could (should) be used to help distinguish between similar icons.  The difference between artbook and manga is a good example. The only colors used are red, blue, orange, purple and pink.  Don't use pink.  Most of us have picked up that pink is heavily used to indicate hentai material.  So, you don't even need special icons for hentai material, just take the existing icon for OVA or manga and make it pink.  Don't use that purple either.  It's too similar to pink and the row highlight color.  Pick a different hue or shade if you want to use purple.  The colors really need to stand out from the background, even if you're using pink to indicate a hentai work, the pink should stand out.

Text:  I agree, it shouldn't be necessary.  A good set of icons should obviate the need for text.  I also find it odd that manga is the only icon with Japanese text on the image.

As Aemony points out, the icons for related categories should look similar.  We should be able to tell very quickly whether something is audio, video or images.  The distinction between a movie, a series, an OVA and a live action movie is minor and the category icons should accordingly have fewer differences between them.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:51 am »
The "weird cylinder" on the OVA icon is rather obviously a DVD case, since all OVA are released direct-to-DVD

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 01:02:29 am »
^actually it reminds me more of an old VHS case with it's shape.

it's nice of you that you bring out all your suggestions and constructive criticism now, however where were you guys 4 months ago?

I can agree with quite a few points (except for the no-text option), but those were needed ages ago, not now.