Author Topic: Nickname explanations?  (Read 194326 times)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
Nickname explanations?
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:07:05 am »
Say a word about yourself similar to the introduction thread but focusing on your nickname.
Why did you choose it, does it have some hidden meaning maybe (if not apparently obvious of course), if it's from an anime which (if it's not commonly known) why that one, and so on...

Here I'll explain mine - it's somewhat simple - My name is Душан so Duki is my nickname, that simple (and no - its got no relation with duke whatsoever which some people may think). The 3003 part is apparently, well, 'cause I started surfing the web somewhere back in 2002 - but all Duki2002 nicks were generally in use so I concocted a devilish plan to annoy some random Duki in the year 3003 when he eventually finds out that all Duki3003's on all popular sites were already taken, back 1000 years ago - muhahahaha >:D

Care to explain yours?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:03:32 am by Duki3003 »

Offline relic2279

• Box Fansubs
  • レーザービーム
Re: Nickname explanations?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:57 am »
I tried to think of a role playing character name in an online RPG back in 1996ish. (A mud) I thought of Relic. When the internet first started to take hold, I needed to modify name as there were 'other' relics. So I tacked on my birthdate.

Offline shadowmaniac

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:18:18 am »
Shadow from my favorite FF game (FFVI/FF3). We all know how "easy" it is to get a nickname like shadow...
Since I was in my early teens when I started playing that game and I was crazy about ninja stuffs so, I went with shadowmaniac as it rhymed better than crazyshadow. Even that was hard to get on some forums so I basically have various variations of that nickname or, in some cases, created a brand new one out of despair/frustration.

Offline bcr123

• Blah Blah Blah.. Woof.
    • Nothing Really
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:19:09 am »
I used my initals for one account in one place and now it's just easier to remember this way.

Offline SpeedKills

• Back by popular demand.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 01:22:05 am »
The last time I explained my nickname, people told me I was full of shit, so I'll pass :P  But the one I usually use outside of forums is SteelRiverSavior, which has to do with personal philosophy and literature.

Whoever reaches his ideal transcends it eo ipso.

Offline harpy

• absent
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 01:33:01 am »
so I think everyone know what a harpy is
got it a while back, when I still was a teen, some people gave me this nick name ( have no idea why I was mostly stoned and drunk at the time, I guess its because I have never been to friendly with new people irl, some people still call me that irl even thou they haven met me online, I even made a tattoo of harpy on my back, to remember all the stuff I done and do not want to repeat), so I made it my nickname on net as well

p.s. and I thought that Душан transcribes in latin alphabet as Dushan not Duki......but oh well maybe russians pronounce and transcribe it differently then other slavic countries who use cyrillic

...Men are so necessarily mad that it would be another twist of madness not to be mad...

Offline cubensis55

• //facepalm
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:44:55 am »
My name is derived from dental surgery. ;)

You see...
there once was a patient who was in the dentist chair, and his mouth was all numbed up.
The dentist made a slight error in judgment an accidentally sliced open the patients mouth.
The patient then got angry at the situation and tried to say "YOU DENTIST!".
But, becuase his mouth was numb and full of blood, it sounded like "CUE BEN SIS!"

Yeah...

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:01:49 am »
p.s. and I thought that Душан transcribes in latin alphabet as Dushan not Duki......but oh well maybe russians pronounce and transcribe it differently then other slavic countries who use cyrillic

Well it's basicly a really common name in Serbia - since our ruller Dušan Nemanjić - known as Dušan Silni (Dušan the Mighty) - And Duki is a common nickname for it - as it's shorter but still similar
Oh and by the way Duša means soul - and that to is one of the resons why it's so common....

Hehe made you look it up....

Offline zurukitsune

• 'SUP BITCHES!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 02:14:15 am »
well, my nickname is quite simple. zurukitsune is Japanese. zuru for cheat and kitsune for fox. cheatfox was a name i had for a long while when i was younger because i would constantly beat video games then go back and use cheat codes. i even had a huge collection of cheatcodes in a book i had put together. i have long since given up on cheatcodes because they are no fun. the only thing i did was attempt to translate it when i started to learn Japanese.

Life's a bitch, then you die

Offline Keevtara

• I, I am a monument to all your sins.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 03:03:58 am »
Way back when, I tried writing a fantasy story. It sucked, horribly. The only decent  thing I got out of it was my nickname, which was the name of one of the elves.
Quote from: SpeedKills
Well, to be honest, my comments are almost always irrelevant, but once I type about three to four words of a post, my mind just kind of meanders around until I type the last sentence.  And lo, this is that sentence.

Offline -Aniki-

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:37:25 am »
I stole my name from some guy in some random anime o_O

Offline Arveene

• Former Staff
  • Sora <3
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:23 am »
I originally came up with the name for a D&D char way back. (I forget when). Then when I started playing WoW back in 2004 I used this name. I started using it for any mmo and everything else from then on. Currently, anyone I know online calls me by Arv or Arveene. So even though I quit WoW I still can't escape it.
AniDB Userpage | MAL (Not updated as often)

Offline NaRu

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 05:57:44 am »
I used NaRu for many years. I have used it in middle school. NaRu means "to become" at first my name was Crazy NaRu "Crazy to become" but after a few years people started to call me NaRu for short so I took that instead

Offline Liquifier

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:03:01 am »
I stole my name from some guy in some random anime o_O

Doesn't "aniki" just mean "brother"?

I got my nickname from the game Golden Sun.

Offline k0d0chaa

• "the wise know what they dont know"
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:42:53 am »
there is only one me, and there will always only be one me, here, there, anywhere. and in the highly unlikely occurrence that anyone with a name even slightly similar to "k0d0chaa" arises, that will certainly not be me. the rest is self explanatory if you split it in half and use some imagination  :) 

Offline harpy

• absent
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »

Well it's basicly a really common name in Serbia - since our ruller Dušan Nemanjić - known as Dušan Silni (Dušan the Mighty) - And Duki is a common nickname for it - as it's shorter but still similar
Oh and by the way Duša means soul - and that to is one of the resons why it's so common....

Hehe made you look it up....

well I kind of know russian and I do know that duša means soul....

...Men are so necessarily mad that it would be another twist of madness not to be mad...

Offline relic2279

• Box Fansubs
  • レーザービーム
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 12:43:18 pm »
Doesn't "aniki" just mean "brother"?

It usually means older brother and I normally hear it in Japanese movies/shows in crime families/Yakuza speak.

Offline erious

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:43:42 pm »
Back when I was... 13 or 14, i think, me and some friends went through a phase of fascination with grafitti. Back then I used to write "myst"(and don't ask me where THAT came from, since I have no idea. Definitely not from the game, though). At the same time I got my first internet connection, and I had to think of an email. Since "myst" was taken, I went with "myst.erious". It took me some three seconds to realise how dumb that was, so I just threw "myst" away, and settled for erious. I liked how it sounded, and it's fairly original, so I use it to this day. So no deep meaning behind it. If you see "erious" anywhere, that's probably me.

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:03 pm »
Well..... the name just sort of pop out. I use a different nickname(for public identification) and it starts with a "V" as well. I just don;t understand why but the letter "V" is just so appealing to me.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline miwasuzuki

• したくない!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »
miwa is the name of my sensei's friend
suzuki is one of the common surnames in japan
so miwasuzuki it is.