Author Topic: Nickname explanations?  (Read 201419 times)

Offline AceHigh

Re: Nickname explanations?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 01:49:08 pm »
If anyone from here happens to meet me in RL, NEVER EVER call me by my web nick!

Fine, I will call you "That guy"

Offline SirSkyRider

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »
If anyone from here happens to meet me in RL, NEVER EVER call me by my web nick!

Fine, I will call you "That guy"

Fine with me  ;)

Offline surdumil

• Yeah! I'm lookin' at you!
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 02:40:44 pm »
When I got married, I changed my last name, adding my wife's last name as a hyphenated extension.

The result, as it turns out, is a very rare last name.

By reversing the order of the hyphenated name and chopping off the last syllable, I came up with 'surdumil', which turns out to be a rare username that doesn't need a numerical extension to be unique enough to be a username, serviceable nick, or even an RPG character.

Offline Myplague797

• Light me up that Red.
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 04:48:26 pm »
Everyone thinks it's the Slipknot song. But, it's not at all related. Now this is something I usually think to myself and haven't thought about it in a long time. Also, it's going to sound completely and utterly retarded but, here it goes.

Everywhere I go, I seem to cause pandemonium. Not because I'm trying but, it just happens. The last one that happened was a semi truck driver fell asleep came onto on-coming traffic and missed me by 7 feet and nailed a kid in a Isuzu Rodeo and clipped another kids Station Wagon and he lost control going off a 40 foot overpass drop.

I'm more like bad luck than anything, but, it never happens to me at least.

The 797 is my lucky numbers for some reason. They never let me down.
[Sig removed for being oversized, not to mention hideous]

Offline Sitio

• "I can resist anything but temptation."
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »
Well, I think I was 15-16 something and I needed another user name apart from the more common one (=always taken) I had then. Since I was reading Latin at that time I looked up short words and their meanings and came up with "Sitio" which comes from siti-re (thirst for, to be thirsty), and then I added the ending -o that gave me the meaning "I thirst for" or "I am thirsty" (well, at least according to my research at that time). I thought it sounded ok, so I used it.

teatime

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 05:19:19 pm »
This is actually my LJ username - it just seemed to work other places. I usually go for either this, or just tea, because most people call me Tea online. It's because I'm a serious tea addict. I think I might need help. :3

Offline Carnivus

• All Hail Carnivus!
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 12:29:27 am »
Well when I was a kid(not so long ago)I played with one of my friends a superhero game....and I was Carnivus(carnivor + the Latin suffix "us")
Recently I found out that there is a King Carnivus in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2009, 12:50:53 am »
This topic got pushed back, so I'm just spamming a bit now so it possibly revives once again...
Come on, I saw a lot of new folks here on Box, some posted in the Introduction thread, others not - well this is something similar

Explain the story behind your nick - some got an interesting setting or a story, other are self-explanatory so what ever rocks your boat say it here.

On a another note I asked some of the staff to maybe make this topic into a sticky, it can stand along side the introduction thread imo - thoe I never got an answer back - possibly he didn't get to read my pm or just didn't care if he did...

Offline Thelizno

• Kitler revived!!
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2009, 02:41:33 pm »
Thelizno
A name i "borrowed" from my cousin that i admired like 10 years ago. :P He kind of abondoned the name many years ago and i don't know why so i started to use it. He doesn't even remember it so what the heck xD When i think of Thelizno i think of a lizard. Probably because of the Liz in the middle but that's another story.
The lizard no?
I kind of hate that name now >.< since i always get reminded that it's not really my name to begin with. The name is kind of stalking me :''/

Got a whole set of nicknames but Thelizno is probably the main nickname.
Bloodthirsty Viking
People are like dice. We throw ourself into life.

Offline Morgia

• Gebete an den Hühnergott 5 Euro
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »
My Nicknames usually come from roleplaying games and were simply the names of the Characters I played like Anchodra, Anyria, Araeja, Nerolos, Farrah, Rosa Nera, Scarlet, Haruka etc etc
it's a bit different with Morgia though, she never really existed as an RPG char but it was a name I had in the back of my mind that I could one time use for one...so I used it as a chat and forum nickname but I never created a char to whom I had the feeling the name would fit. So I just kept it for myself and I've had it for over 10 years now (omg I'm getting old).

Reading through the topic I saw that some people use their initials/birthdates etc for nicks... and I had to laugh very hard as I realized that people would call me a hardcore nazi if I did that^^  AH88 lolz

Offline Lupin

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 06:43:36 pm »
I love Lupin III so I try to use the name online whenever possible. I also look like Lupin during my high school years. In both rizon and deltaanime, I'm using the nickname lupin_sansei. In real life, I'm known by the name Sato

Offline Reape

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »
Mine comes from my old nick in Warcraft III... first it was supposed to be Reaper, but since that was taken I just started using Reape since my lack of imagination prevents me from figuring out a better nick.
Nordic cultural imperialist.

Offline Aglaea

• Lover of Box Girls
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »
Mine usually come from my narcissism.  First I was just going to use my name, but someone used it already.  Then I was going to use a genus of metalmark butterflies that get their name from mine.  But somebody had already taken it.  Then I was going to use Eris which is basically the opposite goddess of Charis.  It's also the name of my bike, and I use it on motorcycle forums.  But of course it was already taken.  So I went with this name which is another name for the goddess Charis (the youngest of the Charites) the personification of grace and beauty.   
Sig removed for being oversized.
I'm back bitches! <3 Pe-chan

Offline Freshbite

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 10:09:49 pm »
This nickname isn't really that special to me.
I have sort of used it for about 3-4 years and come up with it when I played some random MMORP Game.
My favorite spell I used in that game was called "Frostbite" and I kind of wanted something similiar.

However, the name "Frostbite" was, of course, allready taken
so I switched the first part with another word that was about the same length and also started with the letter F.
And the first thing that came to my mind was "Fresh", because I happen to watch a Coca-Cola commercial, and I was bloody thirsty. >_>

I support good grammar and well structured writing.

Offline Morgia

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »
I have sort of used it for about 3-4 years and come up with it when I played some random MMORP Game.
My favorite spell I used in that game was called "Frostbite" and I kind of wanted something similiar.

FROSTSHOOOOOOOCK!

Offline Freshbite

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:14 pm »
FROSTSHOOOOOOOCK!

God damn it.
I should have used that one.

Offline Morgia

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:41 pm »
obviously you didn't play a shaman in WoW...or you would have ^^

Offline Freshbite

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:54 pm »
I don't really have the time to play WoW right now. The school is killing my free-time.
But I did, not so long ago. (Although you are correct, I have yet to play a Shaman.)

Offline Arveene

• Former Staff
  • Sora <3
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:29 pm »
obviously you didn't play a shaman in WoW...or you would have ^^

Arcanite Reaper HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

On a related sidenote: I reactivated my WoW account. >.>
Guild wants me to come back for Ulduar progression. You would think they would have replaced me by now.
AniDB Userpage | MAL (Not updated as often)

Offline Freshbite

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 10:47:19 pm »
You would think they would have replaced me by now.

I guess that makes you irreplacable.