Author Topic: BakaBT merchandise designs competition  (Read 34577 times)

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
BakaBT merchandise designs competition
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:39:52 am »
Since opening our merchandise shop, we've seen numerous requests for T-shirts and other items of clothing. And as such, here is a competition!

Resources:

It's possible to print designs on both the front and the back of the shirt.

To ensure that your images appear at the intended size and resolution, we recommend that you start your designs using one of the guide PSD files provided above (click the links above to download the respective PSD file). These guides are at the correct size for shirt printing already, so they will produce the best result.

At the moment, there are no character restrictions. However we would like to encourage people to design an original character that we could potentially also use as our official mascot! We would also like to encourage people to create designs that are influenced by anime. This could be designs of T-shirts that characters in anime actually wear (for example, "I <3 CRT" that Mr. Braun wears in Steins;Gate), or even a commonly seen symbol or badge in an anime (e.g. Londo Bell from Gundam).

We do have a font restriction which is to use our standard Joyful Juliana font if you use the text "BakaBT" anywhere.

When submitting your designs, please post web-suitable images here (lower the DPI please). If we pick a design, we will contact you via PM and ask for the full quality version. The person who produces the design we deem best may even get a free T-shirt with his/her design on it!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:49:03 pm by Southrop »

Offline Roven

• Moo~
Re: BakaBT merchandise designs competition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »
Awesome! I'm in.

Offline lordstar

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »
Hey guys! I print tees and I am based in the UK. Long standing member and I seed like a don lol  :D

Already poster on FB but though i would post here too.

Offline i_am_otep

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:52 pm »
Any guidelines/rules?

Like, does it have to have Cirno in it?

Or other anime characters are okay?

What about original character designs?

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »
We have no character restrictions at the moment, however we would like to encourage people to design an original character that we could potentially also use as our official mascot!

We would also like to encourage people to create designs that are influenced by anime. This could be designs of T-shirts that characters in anime actually wear (for example, "I <3 CRT" that Mr. Braun wears in Steins;Gate), or even a commonly seen symbol or badge (e.g. Londo Bell from Gundam).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:31:31 pm by Southrop »

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »
The biggest problem may be the use of copyrighted images.
Therefore original character would probably be best, I'll submit works with existing characters as well, but if Zazzle does not approve it can't be helped.

Keep BakaBT text in Joyful Juliana, since that is our trademark.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:47:41 pm by Duki3003 »

Offline lordstar

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »
As someone who has done stuff for computer games companies both officially and unofficially. My advise would be to air on the side of caution.

Character themselves would be a no goer as would a Gundam unit. But a girl dressed up as a gundam should be ok. Logos are another no no (cant see that being a problem here) a good example of people getting away with it for years would be Jlist  Not 100% but I think 95% of the stuff is unoffical but then it just uses elements of anime characters http://www.jlist.com/category/208

Pretty sure the community could come up with designs which tramples all over these ones here!

EDIT:!
Here is the font of Joyful juliana http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=joyful Free to DL with no traps. Godamn i love Dafont.com
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:52:06 pm by lordstar »

Offline lordstar

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »
I <3 CRT" that Mr. Braun wears in Steins;Gate

Haha! I love that one a few of my friends and I imported some arcade cabinets from Japan a while back and they are all CRT monitors inside them. I have been meaning to print some up for them.  :P

Offline schiejeve

• Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:37:41 pm »
All very nice and interesting.
Question 1:
How many colors may be used?
It depends if  silkscreens are used.
Question 2:
   When does this competition close, any date set?

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
All very nice and interesting.
Question 1:
How many colors may be used?
It depends if  silkscreens are used.
Question 2:
   When does this competition close, any date set?
We have no restriction on number of colours for now. There is no set closed date either.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:04 pm »
I'm hopeless at drawing anime related stuffs, but I am pretty good at drawing mystical looking landscapes, would this be allowed if I add (in JJ font)
    BakaBT
Anime community
to it somewhere?
I'll try to mimic a scene from an anime and I can do whatever quality you like - even up to 4 times 1080 quality (maybe more, that's just the highest i ever rendered from memory, I'll have to go check out the program on my other computer and see how far its capable of going

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:04:41 am »
I'm hopeless at drawing anime related stuffs, but I am pretty good at drawing mystical looking landscapes, would this be allowed if I add (in JJ font)
    BakaBT
Anime community
to it somewhere?
I'll try to mimic a scene from an anime and I can do whatever quality you like - even up to 4 times 1080 quality (maybe more, that's just the highest i ever rendered from memory, I'll have to go check out the program on my other computer and see how far its capable of going
I don't see why not

Offline TMRNetShark

• I thumps up my own youtube comments.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:58:43 am »
One more question Southrop, do you know what type of printing they do on the shirts?

The reason I ask is because some companies do very cheap printing and basically use a tough plastic sticker to get the design on the shirt. Make sure they use a type of plastic resin that is "printed" directly to the fabric.

I've had some bad experiences with t-shirts where the printed logos would fall right off the shirt after 3 or so washes. So disappointed. :(

EDIT: Turns out my PS client isn't working. I want a simple T-shirt (if anyone with PS would please make this for me, it'll take not but 2 minutes).

BakaBT

Subs Over Dubs

The BakaBT part will be in the required Joyful Julian format while I'd like the "Subs Over Dubs" part be in this font please. Conversely, we can definitely have another shirt that has "Dubs Over Subs." Thank you in advance whoever answers my call!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:16:27 am by TMRNetShark »

Offline madara90

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:26 am »
I have stated this already in the other topic but when you are finished with the design you will need to convert the design to CYMK mode in photoshop. Its under image>mode>cymk, if you dont convert the design from RGB it will not print properly and colours will change and come out looking like sh!t. I would also love to participate in this and im glad i have 2 weeks holidays to do so :)

Edit - TMR i did the design for you, however the "subs over dubs" font which you wanted is to be paid for if used in commercial areas so i dont think BBT will pay for it. Also if you could save the image to your own image uploader that would be great :)

Edit - did both here they are

subs -
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
dubs -
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:50:20 am by madara90 »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url=http://www.anime-planet.com/r

Offline i_am_otep

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 06:04:15 am »
Another question, what colour is the tee?

Offline madara90

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:14:53 am »
Another question, what colour is the tee?

I would say its most likely white or black.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url=http://www.anime-planet.com/r

Offline TMRNetShark

• I thumps up my own youtube comments.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:05 am »
I have stated this already in the other topic but when you are finished with the design you will need to convert the design to CYMK mode in photoshop. Its under image>mode>cymk, if you dont convert the design from RGB it will not print properly and colours will change and come out looking like sh!t. I would also love to participate in this and im glad i have 2 weeks holidays to do so :)

Edit - TMR i did the design for you, however the "subs over dubs" font which you wanted is to be paid for if used in commercial areas so i dont think BBT will pay for it. Also if you could save the image to your own image uploader that would be great :)

-omitted-

Thank you! You can take the picture off of your image host now. I have it saved...

Here is my submission (courtesy and thanks to madara90):

Also, if you have time madara... if you can do the flip of it too please? (instead of Subs Over Dubs... write Dubs Over Subs. You know, there are legitimate people out there that like their dubs :P)

EDIT: One more thing, can you use this font instead please? It's not commerical and it's free to use anywhere XD

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:30:13 am by TMRNetShark »

Offline abc cuz

• -___-
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:03 am »
AWESOME! is there gonna be a deadline for this?
I'll get round to it someday. SOMEDAY ffs

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:17 am »
No, but lets make it to the end of the month.
So deadline April 30.

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »
One more question Southrop, do you know what type of printing they do on the shirts?
Digital Printing I believe. There is also a Screen Printing feature available, but there's a 12-shirt minimum order on that.