Author Topic: Design new Category icons competition  (Read 8673 times)

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: Design new Category icons competition
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:37:53 am »
There are no submissions though, there is one half submission.

Its the start of the year, free time is scarce and the little time we do get is usually spent playing games :blush:

I'm still interested, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I really don't give a shit about the bonus points, I just want to see updated icons. Naturally, it is easier to want, than create.
I've never been good with design.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 05:53:25 am »
We can extend the deadline for submissions, I felt that mid February would be enough, however if there is need we can extend it until end of the month.

Good design takes time, so don't be impatient. There is plenty of time still, I expect to see some great submissions.

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 07:29:08 am »
I'm actually working on this. However, I'm not good at Photoshop and I ended up using AutoCAD :whistle:

Don't worry. I won't submit a CAD file. Made my idea already. Just having trouble with color and render because we're not on that topic yet.

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:49 pm »
Not much of a response, so I'll give it a go.
Lossless and HD tags will work fine in SVG, but I could do the other icons much better as an array of PNGs (i.e. ICO-esque). If you know the various sizes you'll need, I think that'd look better. Just let me know either way.
Could you describe the 'overall theme'?
Do you want each icon to be fairly unique, or would you prefer some consistency between them? e.g. could series/movie/OVA have the same icon, with just distinguishing text?
Let me know if there's anything here you like, and I'll work from there.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/156186626/workspace.png

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »
The bottom ones look really good. Maybe other people have a few pointers to make them better.

Offline carks

• Staff
  • Everyday is always the best day~
    • muh blog
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 03:13:53 pm »
Not much of a response, so I'll give it a go.
Lossless and HD tags will work fine in SVG, but I could do the other icons much better as an array of PNGs (i.e. ICO-esque). If you know the various sizes you'll need, I think that'd look better. Just let me know either way.
Could you describe the 'overall theme'?
Do you want each icon to be fairly unique, or would you prefer some consistency between them? e.g. could series/movie/OVA have the same icon, with just distinguishing text?
Let me know if there's anything here you like, and I'll work from there.

The manga one is pretty nice in my opinion, what I don't like is the font combination you used. I don't know if it's the shadow, or if it's the color fill (or well the font itself) but I feel like it doesn't look so good. My recommendation is try using other combinations, and fonts if needed.

Also, the icon for the video part (anime, live-action, etc) is kinda "meh", it feels like it doesn't really fit the site.

And no novel icon?  ;)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga |

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »
The manga one is pretty nice in my opinion, what I don't like is the font combination you used. I don't know if it's the shadow, or if it's the color fill (or well the font itself) but I feel like it doesn't look so good. My recommendation is try using other combinations, and fonts if needed.

Also, the icon for the video part (anime, live-action, etc) is kinda "meh", it feels like it doesn't really fit the site.

And no novel icon?  ;)

There's other colour combinations in the top left of that image, do you prefer any of them? I suppose it's hard to tell with them so small and by themselves. I wanted to stick with Joyful Juliana font, but I'll try out some others too.
Yeah I don't like the video one either. I wanted to change it up from the old images, but I might just go back to a film strip after all.
I'll get to the novel soon :P Just trying to get a theme decided at the moment.

Offline carks

• Staff
    • muh blog
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 04:06:04 pm »

And no novel icon?  ;)

There's other colour combinations in the top left of that image, do you prefer any of them? I suppose it's hard to tell with them so small and by themselves. I wanted to stick with Joyful Juliana font, but I'll try out some others too.
Yeah I don't like the video one either. I wanted to change it up from the old images, but I might just go back to a film strip after all.
I'll get to the novel soon :P Just trying to get a theme decided at the moment.
Maybe bold white + black stroke? That one looks that it could work.

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:08 pm »

Any of these good? I feel like it needs a bit of colour, I'm just having a hard time incorporating any.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/156186626/test.png

Offline carks

• Staff
    • muh blog
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »

Any of these good? I feel like it needs a bit of colour, I'm just having a hard time incorporating any.
I like the 2nd the most. The shadow looks better there tbh.

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 05:10:42 pm »
I like the 2nd the most. The shadow looks better there tbh.

OK, so these have the same shadows. Two attempts to add some colour. Either any good?

I agree the shadows look good, but I'm new to vector imaging, I doubt I'd be able to replicate shadows in an SVG (well, at least).

edit: 3am. I'll take a look at all this again after I sleep.

Offline Heike

• 亀の甲より年の功
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:56 pm »
OK, so these have the same shadows. Two attempts to add some colour. Either any good?

I think the best one out of these is the one in 2nd row without the heart, though I know the theme sort of restricts the allowed range of the colours, but I think you'd get the best contrast with either a luminescent blue or green. Having black bold text with a white stroke would be a bit too bland (as is also the case in the first one with the white text)... You could try filling the panels in the paper with some ink (either some make-believe drawings or just ink splatters) or add a nib pen on the side as a decoration. It just feels like there's something missing and I can't quite seem to grasp what it might be.

Offline carks

• Staff
    • muh blog
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 06:23:36 pm »
The 2nd one is the best out of that lot in my opinion. Though, as Heike said, the hentai one doesn't look good. Probably because of the colors. I think they don't clash too well.

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 04:37:15 am »

Offline Heike

• 亀の甲より年の功
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 04:17:55 pm »
Any of these an improvement?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/156186626/test2.png

Personally, I think these:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
However, I think the ink splatters should be black (since manga is mostly b&w) and for the sake of applying a splatter you did it sort of one inside and one outside, it does not give the impression that it's on the paper (well it works out artistically I guess). If you got some time on your hands you could try playing with the other ideas I've layed out for it. (In case you think that laying out make-believe drawings is hard, it's not, just find any stock background (make sure it's free to use of course), be it of a city or something else, turn it into b&w and paste it onto one of the panels on the paper, that way it should give the whole image some more depth. Hope that helps somewhat.

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:26 pm »
you also should keep in mind that our current icons are around 65x37px in size. we might change the size, though there is not much leeway to make the icons too much larger without wasting space. at the moment your icons are very detailed and don't work too well in smaller sizes. just as an example using your icons with our current design. the text is barely readable. the splotches and all the nice details are barely visible.

Offline KitOsborn

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 01:02:41 am »
Put details in and scaled to an appropriate size. I'm really not convinced it's an improvement over the current icons though.

I'll try to remake as vector images later.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 03:41:11 am »
Anoo~, can anyone give some kinda torrent/website/treasure box of nice sans serif fonts which are free (or whatever can be used for logos ~desu). Too many fonts on website to settle on one, damnit.

EDIT: And does it have to be a free font, or can we torrent that too? :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:49:29 am by Mistgun_Zero »

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Heike

• 亀の甲より年の功
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 04:59:13 am »
Anoo~, can anyone give some kinda torrent/website/treasure box of nice sans serif fonts which are free (or whatever can be used for logos ~desu). Too many fonts on website to settle on one, damnit.

EDIT: And does it have to be a free font, or can we torrent that too? :P

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but you should check out
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
(am I even allowed to post another website in here? I'll add a spoiler tag just in case). They have a lot of fonts to choose from and it's indicated whether the font is free to use or not (details on how to contact the authors are usually there as well).

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:18 am »
Most of the fonts are paid ones, especially for commercial use (and most of the time not on dafont or fonts website where you can get it for free). Of course, you could torrent those and use it, but would that be allowed?

Of course, there is Helvetica as a last resort. >_<

Homu-Homu is troubled