Author Topic: New category icon set and security updates  (Read 15754 times)

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
New category icon set and security updates
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:55:38 pm »
New Category icons:
Last February we held a contest for designing a new icon set for our torrent categories. Considering our requirements were quite high, not as many participants applied as we hoped. However, we did get several quality submissions to choose from. The winning icon set we chose was designed by Mistgun_Zero.

So congratulations, and thank you for your patience and hard work these past months.
We spent quite a bit of time tweaking the original submission to get an even better result.
And I'll also take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated in the contest.

Light Novels:
The new icon set also made it possible for us to to finally implement the long requested: Light Novel category.

Tracker avatars:
Thanks to the coding efforts of brunoais, all tracker avatars will now be hosted securely on BakaSHOTS.
You can still use external hosts if you prefer, but only if they support HTTPS.
As far as the user interface is concerned, nothing has changed. Upload your avatar to any imagehost of your choosing, and if they offer only http links you will be notified that your avatar will be stored on BakaSHOTS instead. If your image url has https, it will use the provided link. Everything is set to work seamlessly, and as a result you won't see insecure content warnings in your browser because of avatar images.

Other updates:
● The Lossless tag will now be represented by a mic - idea by mateka (+2000 bonus points).
● A number of backend improvements and stability fixes.

NOTICE:
We're still working on debugging the new tracker, so please submit any issues you encounter in the previous thread, not here.
After a few days of testing the new tracker under full load we will be switching the tracker port from the current 2710 to 8443, so you will need to update your running torrents. However, this will be announced, so no changes are required as of yet.

-Duki3003

Offline dafpunk

Re: New category icon set and security updates
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
the new icons are nice and all, but they are TOO BIG!
how can i make them as small as the old ones?
these big ones take too much screen space

Offline Morellet

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:23 am »
The Hentai OVA icon with the tentacles cracks me up. :laugh: I like the Light Novel icon a lot too.

Thanks a lot too to the staff for the behind-the-scenes stuff and security improvements. :yes:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:16:35 am by Morellet »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:52 am »
Oh boy, this gonna take some getting used to.

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:33 am »
Thankfully I dont have many active torrents at the moment, but I imagine changing all of the tracker ports will be obnoxious.
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Offline Tylerr

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:20:14 am »
these are ugly, why are they so huge?

Offline ASecondChance

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:35:55 am »
its gonna take some time to get used to the new icons but they are clearer now so that's a plus. thanks for all the changes and those involved.

i wonder if changing ports is easy with tixati? i have everything on seed right now so is gonna be hard to do it 1 by 1 (and im not even sure if i can do it lol)
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ASecondChance all my scores are based on my tastes so dont click if you are looking for a more "objective" scoring.

Offline ridon428

• Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:35 am »
these are ugly, why are they so huge?
A bit of resizing down would help. Still better, though.

Man, the icons are awesome!!! They should've made this category icon competition before the site overhaul ;)

Offline Koby

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:58 am »
Definitely needs to be resized smaller...

Offline Verisar

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 01:58:27 am »
2,140 Items in my seed folder, im hoping there is an easy way to change all the ports?

Offline Zaraki

• Staff
  • 皆さんこんにちは!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:06:40 am »
So changing the port basically means you need to edit your tracker from
Code: [Select]
http://tracker.bakabt.me:2710/<your torrent pass>/announce.php
to
Code: [Select]
http://tracker.bakabt.me:8443/<your torrent pass>/announce.php

Changing the tracker is very easy on µtorrent/bittorrent. Just select all relevant torrents and go to properties to edit the tracker at once.

I also have experience with rtorrent. There is a folder called .session (/home/<user>/.../.session) where the client stores all .torrent files. Grab those files and use a tracker editor app to edit all torrent trackers at one go. After that replace the torrent files in the .session folder and restart rtorrent.
(Don't touch the other files in the .session folder! Those contain your resume data and torrent statistics. Removing the resume data means you need to rehash all files which needs time and some disk load. Also one more thing: the .session folder contains all torrents. So if you have non BBT torrents, you need to find a way to exclude those, because the tracker editor I use can only batch edit all torrents in 1 folder. You don't want to change non BBT torrents into BBT torrents, right?)

I spend some time trying this with Deluge, but unfortunately I wasn't able to succeed. I don't use other torrent clients, so you need to figure those out yourself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:04:58 am by Zaraki »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 02:14:13 am »
^ if you use an android client, only FLUD supports editing the tracker port. (for free, at least)

But it must be done one torrent at a time sadly.

Anyone know how to do it with rTorrent? E: nevermind

Also, the update appears to have killed bakashots tid matching for some torrents.
The browse list sort by added date no longer works.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:26:42 am by Krudda »

Offline Morellet

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:10 am »
One issue I see with the icons is that they have some "jaggies," like in the "V" in the "OVA" icon (e.g.: https://bakabt.me/torrent/183901/exper-zenon-domo-ppp-sub). I guess this could be fixed with more anti-aliasing? And the white "stripes" on the far right and far left of the popcorn container from the "Movie" icon also have these jaggies.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:06 am »
One issue I see with the icons is that they have some "jaggies," like in the "V" in the "OVA" icon (e.g.: https://bakabt.me/torrent/183901/exper-zenon-domo-ppp-sub). I guess this could be fixed with more anti-aliasing? And the white "stripes" on the far right and far left of the popcorn container from the "Movie" icon also have these jaggies.
You can't antaliase, they're SVG files, the jaggiws are on your end.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:28 am »
I don't think it's an issue on "my end" but rather just with using SVG graphics/not anti-aliasing. Like, SVG is great because it scales so well/without any degradation in quality, but using vectors like this means that you get those sharp lines/jaggies as a result.

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:46:23 am »
I'm not seeing any prominent aliasing on the "V" though? Nothing more than the A. I had to zoom in a substantial amount to see that too.

What I did notice, is that the gap between the top and bottom of the "A" and "V" is not consistent.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 03:54:05 am »
I definitely see noticeable aliasing/jaggies in a few places. Here's a screenshot I just took to show this:
https://jii.moe/Vyx-sIqxb.png
This is from Chrome 49.0.2623.112 at 400% zoom. The popcorn looks great and is totally smooth, but the sides of the popcorn container and the white stripes on the left and the right have jaggies. I don't see such pronounced jaggies in the torrent title, even though it's also using vectors for scaling.

Offline Morellet

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:24 am »
Wow, yours looks so much better!! Krudda, what browser are you using? Is it just a browser issue or something? Why do they come out all jaggy for me?(T_T)

Edit:
E: did you change the image? Coukd have sworn your post had a jpg
Nope, I didn't change anything. I deliberately saved as PNG so that there was no chance that possible image compression would affect the image quality.

Edit 2: Hmm, maybe it's time to stop using Chrome and switch back to Firefox.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:06:11 am by Morellet »

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:08:04 am »
Wopps, removed post by accident.
I'm using an android browser which is based on Google Chrome (desktop) version ~11

Offline 11letters

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:16 am »
the new icons are nice and all, but they are TOO BIG!
how can i make them as small as the old ones?
these big ones take too much screen space
I don't know how small the old ones were but you can change the size of the icons with a simple user style like this one, which reduces the icon size by 25%:

@-moz-document url-prefix("https://bakabt.me/"), url-prefix("http://bakabt.me/"), url-prefix("https://bakabt.me/description") {

/* Line 556 */
.torrent_icon
{
  width: 66.7px;
  height: 37.5px;
}

}