Author Topic: Manga Recs? -- drama, romance, serious -- or survival -- or/and horror  (Read 472 times)

Offline BPalooza

My favorite manga thus far is Sakamichi no Apollon; I also loved Koe no Katachi.  Anything in a similar vein come to mind that I can enjoy?

Also, while not nearly as good, I did enjoy Kimi no Iru Machi.  I stalled on Suzuka since it was more of the same with a poor translation in the scan I read.  Haven't read Fuuka in a while since I feel Seo Kouji's big strengths are only in his art and when he has a character make a choice between two options (i.e. the early parts of Kimi no Iru when he's still into his high school crush despite living with Yuzuki; later being with Asuka) and he hasn't done that since he had Haruto get back with Yuzuki (sorry if these names are wrong it has been a while). 

Taiyou no Ie was also pretty good although there wasn't really much in the way of issues.  I'm stalled out somewhere in Ao Haru Ride but I definitely like parts of it.  (Trying to remember what I disliked -- pretty sure I never understood the appeal of the main male -- idk it's been awhile).  I have Strobe Light somewhere but have yet to try it since I think it's basically the same as Ao Haru Ride.

I've gotten pretty far in GE: Good Ending but . . . well the art is not so great and some of the actions meant to be romantic are more like stalking.  I enjoyed Bitter Virgin though it could've been a bit better.

In other words I'm all for melodramatic shoujo as long as it's well-done. 

There are quite a few Josei I like but most have seemed to stall (not me stalling -- them stalling) -- Kaguyahime comes to mind.  I enjoyed the premise of some webcomics like Relife or Cheese in the Trap but both seem to be padding out their runs last I checked.

But mostly I want serious romance -- light on comedy or even no comedy -- and that seems to disqualify a lot of manga romances. 

On a completely separate note, I do love some survival manga.  Metro Survive and such -- a lot of stories unfortunately don't seem to be able to do this well or start strong and get weak quick (Dragon Head, 6000, come to mind).  I've been meaning to try Cage of Eden again (Eden no Ori I think -- something like that for the romanization of the Japanese title) although the plot was getting ludicrous when I wasn't even particularly far in and I heard it does not improve in that regard.  Drifting Classroom also disappointed albeit for different reasons.  I'm more interested in rational responses to being trapped or stranded (whether by supernatural events or perfectly real ones like earthquakes or just the location itself (i.e. an island, a underwater base, a snowy cabin)) and the demands of dealing with it than I am in -- well whatever one would say Drifting Classroom and Dragon Head became about. 

Also, big fan of horror in general, really wish there was a good horror manga that had people trapped with romance and such (the closest thing has been a few of the play or die type mangas, all of which are a little too shounen-y for my tastes, at least of what I've tried).  The first part of Uzamaki is pretty great.  I liked the idea of Ibitsu although it could have been executed better -- and the translation probably had some issues.  6000 has a fantastic premise and just never cashed in on it.  BM: Necter was okay but quickly rinse and repeat.

BUT I'd rather get a good drama/romance rec than anything else -- I think I've scoured most of the survival manga unfortunately.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:13:41 pm by BPalooza »

Offline Tanis

Re: Manga Recs? -- drama, romance, serious -- or survival -- or/and horror
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:16 pm »
Hotel (One-Shot)?

Offline BPalooza

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:22 pm »
Hotel does keep popping up when I search around for a while so I'm sure you're thinking on the right track!  Will try to read it soon.

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:27 pm »
Hitsuji no Uta?
Sidonia no Kishi (if you don't mind mecha)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:33:31 pm by Al_Sleeper »

Offline dbml

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:38:59 pm »
Serious romance and survival. Those are right up my alley :P

If you're fine with... well, kinky serious romance, I have those too.
Nozaki Ana
Velvet Kiss

Serious romance:
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Orange

Survival:
Eden no Ori
Eden: It's an Endless World

Offline Al_Sleeper

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 12:12:13 am »
Pumpkin Scissors?

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:59:32 am »
My favorite manga is Claymore. I also hear Berserk is pretty good. Those would probably classify sort of as survival/horror, I guess.

Offline JoonasTo

• Upholding traditional values
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 03:50:57 am »

Nozaki Ana
Velvet Kiss

Serious romance:
Orange

Survival:
Eden no Ori
This guy knows what he's talking about ^^

Because we can!

Offline BPalooza

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:26 pm »

Nozaki Ana
Velvet Kiss

Serious romance:
Orange

Survival:
Eden no Ori

Read and liked Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, Orange, and Velvet Kiss (although really this was less romance and more smut -- but good smut).  I mentioned Eden no Ori in my original post.  I might give it another try although I'm not super sure where I was (they were at the beach and I think someone had tried to leave but been eaten). 

Eden: It's an Endless World, I've started but haven't gotten super far.  I should try Nozaki Ana again (this is the peeping one right) -- at first the art was just a big eh for me so I didn't get far. 

Anything else come to mind?  You're definitely on the right track!

@Al_Sleeper -- I've read all of Sidonia no Kishi -- it was p good and I tried a few other of his.  I'm not sure if I've tried Hitsuji no Uta or not -- I'll need to check it out.

@Tiffanys  -- I've read the first bit of Berserk but I'm worried it's just gonna be "wipe blood on mark, kill everything, repeat" -- never tried Claymore although I should.  But neither one really seems like survival.

Thanks guys -- please keep the recs coming.  I started Hoshi no Furu Machi and it seems pretty decent so far (the art is a bit weird but I've gotten somewhat used to it).

I swear there needs to be atleast one serious romance manga where the MC ends up with the second love interest.  Asuka in Kimi no Iru Machi or this girl who wants to go to Tokyo in Hoshi no Furu Machi

Orange and Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:24:00 pm by BPalooza »

Offline dbml

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:44 am »
Good to know I was on the right track.

Agreed that Velvet Kiss is more smut than romance. Though to be honest I find those to have the most realistic romances. But that's another topic entirely. And yes, Nozaki Ana is the peeping one. Again, good deep story, though smutty.

So, most of the things I read tend to fall along those lines, or just really great dramas, without the romance. But I'll list some of them off in case they peak your interest.

Dear Friends: Rina & Maki
Deep Love: Ayu no Monogatari
Asatte Dance
I"s (compares favorably to GE:Good Ending)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (fair amount of comedy, but has a really solid drama base)
Solanin
And finally, Sundome (my favorite manga. Falls into the kinky category... but I absolutely love the female lead)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:13:28 am by dbml »

Offline BPalooza

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:25 pm »

Agreed that Velvet Kiss is more smut than romance. Though to be honest I find those to have the most realistic romances. But that's another topic entirely. And yes, Nozaki Ana is the peeping one. Again, good deep story, though smutty.

So, most of the things I read tend to fall along those lines, or just really great dramas, without the romance. But I'll list some of them off in case they peak your interest.

Asatte Dance
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (fair amount of comedy, but has a really solid drama base)
Solanin
And finally, Sundome (my favorite manga. Falls into the kinky category... but I absolutely love the female lead)

Yeah I'm big on drama and while romance is a big plus for me if the manga has a feel along the lines of the first few we talked about then I think it's up my alleyway.  Thanks a lot.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:01 pm »
more smut than romance. Though to be honest I find those to have the most realistic romances.
Found my partner in sin. Cheers!

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline BPalooza

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 01:25:04 am »

Asatte Dance
Solanin

Also, off these, is there a particular one you'd recommend should be a priority.  Aside from Sundome -- that's on my list.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:46 am »
My favorite manga is Claymore. I also hear Berserk is pretty good. Those would probably classify sort of as survival/horror, I guess.
Claymore can also satisfy the drama genre and to a small extent, the romance genre.

There are survival elements, but not until later in the manga.

Its a really good horror of sorts, though.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
Huh? Claymore and Berserk come under horror theme? I really liked Claymore. Though not my fav, I do respect Berserk for being a good production. But I thought I hated horror genre. I usually never watch horror movies at all for once.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »
The actual genre Claymore falls under is called 'Dark Fantasy', but its just a fancy way of saying its a fantasy with horror elements.

Offline dbml

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 05:06:25 am »
Also, off these, is there a particular one you'd recommend should be a priority.  Aside from Sundome -- that's on my list.

Uh. I'm gonna say either Shigatsu or I"s should be the priority. And yessss Sundome! It's... definitely not for everyone. It's a bit odd (I think that's a bit of an understatement even)... but it possesses such a beautiful melancholic story. I can't get enough of it.

more smut than romance. Though to be honest I find those to have the most realistic romances.
Found my partner in sin. Cheers!

Hehe :P

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »
Huh? Claymore and Berserk come under horror theme? I really liked Claymore. Though not my fav, I do respect Berserk for being a good production. But I thought I hated horror genre. I usually never watch horror movies at all for once.

Have you read all of Berserk?

It definitely goes into horror territory.